ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse requirements

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

peaches50
Newly Registered

Spouse requirements

Post by peaches50 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:18 pm

I am going to get married in May and would like to know what is required for my husband to move from Antigua to live with me in the UK. At present I unemployed but attending university. He would also like to come and find a job. Would I be able to file for him if I am getting any benefits .

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:05 pm

What is your nationality? If not EEA (other than British), I doubt your husband would be able to move to the UK, I'm afraid.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:10 pm

And r u both over 21?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:37 pm

I would imagine you would need to get a part time job or something to show the minimum income requirements are satisfied. I doubt that your grant and bursary alone would suffice as they are for your sole maintenance. Get a job and start saving.
I tell it like it is.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:59 pm

Being on benefits is not neccessarily as barrier to a visa not being issued but in your case as a newly wed, a visa is unlikely to be issued

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:55 am

mochyn wrote:Being on benefits is not neccessarily as barrier to a visa not being issued but in your case as a newly wed, a visa is unlikely to be issued
what's being a newlywed have to do with it?

edit to add: OP, what do you mean your on benefits? Do you have kids? I don't know any british (single) students recieving benefits. They get grants, bursaries, and loans. I don't think they're eligible for anything else. But I may be wrong, don't know much about benefits.
I tell it like it is.

peaches50
Newly Registered

Post by peaches50 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:36 pm

I am British and I do have a child that is why i receive tax credit and child benefit. I am willing to get a job when i finish my course...
I just wondering what exactly do i do in order to file for him... Yes i will look a job, how much money do i have to save? Does he has to show he has any savings?
Why are they unlikely to issue a visa to newly weds.
We are both over 21.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:36 pm

peaches50 wrote:I am British and I do have a child that is why i receive tax credit and child benefit. I am willing to get a job when i finish my course...
I just wondering what exactly do i do in order to file for him... Yes i will look a job, how much money do i have to save? Does he has to show he has any savings?
We are both over 21.
U have to show u have £156 a week spare to support you all after all essentials ie rent/power/council tax etc....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:00 pm

peaches50 wrote:I am British and I do have a child that is why i receive tax credit and child benefit. I am willing to get a job when i finish my course...
We are both over 21.
Being newlyweds is neither here nor there, so ignore that part. If you're trying to show maintenance in savings I would gather 6 months worth to show for the visa. Like Wanderer said £156/week after rent, council tax, and debt repayments.
I tell it like it is.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:19 pm

My wife was issued a spousal visa when I was receiving £64 a week on income support
I had no savings and was living in rented accommodation so there must be further reasons for issuance of visa

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:54 pm

mochyn wrote:My wife was issued a spousal visa when I was receiving £64 a week on income support
I had no savings and was living in rented accommodation so there must be further reasons for issuance of visa
Wow, did your wife have savings? Was there some kind of loan or something coming through? Your case sounds really rare. Were you guys married for like a long time before you applied?
I tell it like it is.

peaches50
Newly Registered

Post by peaches50 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:36 pm

ElenaW wrote:
mochyn wrote:My wife was issued a spousal visa when I was receiving £64 a week on income support
Wow, did your wife have savings? Was there some kind of loan or something coming through? Your case sounds really rare. Were you guys married for like a long time before you applied?
That is Great... May i ask what document did you supplied....

peaches50
Newly Registered

Post by peaches50 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:44 pm

I wish to thank everything for posting their answers, these answers are very useful... I hope that when we do apply that things will work out well. By the way is that £156 related to this year because as you all know they change the rules all the time.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:06 pm

ElenaW wrote:
My wife had/has no money but we had been married for more than 4 years and living outside the UK which is why in an earlier post I said it also depended on the length of the marriage and said that maybe being a newlywed would count against OP.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:13 pm

ElenaW wrote:
Also she came here in October 08 and I am still on income support but next month she is applying for ILR at Croydon

It's taken me that long to save the £1020

prettypolitical

Post by prettypolitical » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi

I was working part time and in reciept of wtc and ctc.....did not show my debts and immigration advisory service advised that its was only the rent to be counted out of the money....but if you are on full benefits you will not be paying rent and council tax
???REUNITED???

myrlabelle

Post by myrlabelle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:53 pm

to MOHCYN:
WOW!! and you were the one to tell me that i wasn't going to get an FLR(M) bcs hubby is on income support regardless of the fact that we have been LIVING together in the UK for 5 years!!! i can't believe it!!

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:39 pm

myrlabelle wrote:to MOHCYN:
WOW!! and you were the one to tell me that i wasn't going to get an FLR(M) bcs hubby is on income support regardless of the fact that we have been LIVING together in the UK for 5 years!!! i can't believe it!!
Ican''t see anywhere that you mentioned Living together for 5 years.
You just mentioned you were getting married in May.