ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Paid tax back (leaving Britain)

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Paid tax back (leaving Britain)

Post by Tier 4 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:37 pm

I got a question to ask. I am here in UK for like 6 years and for last 4 years paying my Tax on Basic rate. Now I am leaving Britain for good is it any possible way to get all my tax back? Cos I heard when a person leaves Britain permanently he/she can get all their paid tax back.
N/A

John

Post by John » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:54 pm

Who on earth told you that?

The only thing you might get back is some of the tax you have paid in the current tax year, but even that will depend upon exactly when you last get paid. Can you give that date to us, when you will last be paid in the UK? And roughly how much have you been earning?
John

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:37 pm

If this is a rumour then I must say its very popular. Many guys I knew back were certain that if you are leaving UK for good, you get back whatever tax you have paid.

No one tried it though.
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:07 pm

inwarsaw wrote:If this is a rumour then I must say its very popular. Many guys I knew back were certain that if you are leaving UK for good, you get back whatever tax you have paid.

No one tried it though.
Its only with VAT..
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:41 pm

VAT paid on what ?
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:04 am

inwarsaw wrote:VAT paid on what ?
As a visitor to the UK you should be able to claim the VAT back on most things you bought in the last 3 months or so before your departure from the UK.

John

Post by John » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:52 am

As a visitor to the UK you should be able to claim the VAT back on most things you bought in the last 3 months or so before your departure from the UK.
........ and which you are exporting!

No good thinking that you can get back the VAT on that bottle of Coca Cola that you bought a couple of months before you left, that you proceeded to drink shortly after purchase.
John

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:33 am

John wrote:

No good thinking that you can get back the VAT on that bottle of Coca Cola that you bought a couple of months before you left, that you proceeded to drink shortly after purchase.
And I guess if it's expensive enough to claim VAT on when you export, you should be declaring it when you import it back into your home country.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:39 pm

djb123 wrote:
John wrote:

And I guess if it's expensive enough to claim VAT on when you export, you should be declaring it when you import it back into your home country.
No, it's if it's above a certain price. My father claimed back VAT when he was over here over new year and that was just sale shopping in London. I do the same when i visit him in Singapore. I don't know what the minimum limit is here but in Singapore it was S$200 when i claimed GST (their VAT) back last.

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:44 pm

inwarsaw wrote:VAT paid on what ?
On camera, TV, jewellery and other expensive gift items but got to ask for VAT receipt from the shop..
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

qu1ver
BANNED

Claiming a TAX REFUND when leaving UK

Post by qu1ver » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:42 pm

Most people who leave the UK are unaware that there is a very high chance of being eligible for a tax refund which can amount to over a thousand pounds if they have worked before leaving the UK.

When you finish working you should be given a P45 from your employer. On your P45 there should be an amount for your income and tax for the year. Also you must have got your previous P60, which shows how much you have earned and paid tax for the year, so just Input these figures on the website and it will tell you how much tax rebate you can get back from the tax man.

http://www.taxfix.co.uk/income-tax-calculator.html

Once you have established that you are due a tax refund you can send your P45 and any P60s that you may have for previous years, together with a P85/P86 (http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc ... formId=766) and a completed form P91(http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc ... formId=770 ) to your local tax office (to find tax office click this link http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc ... jsp?type=1 fill the relevant information to find ur local tax office). Alternatively you can use a tax agency to claim your Tax Refund For Leaving The UK. The time limit on making a claim is 6 years. So if you have left the UK anytime in the last 6 years you can still make a claim

Here are some of the things that will clarify your brains

1) What about tax rebates for previous years?
If you have P60s for previous years you can check to see if you have overpaid in these years too. The longest you can claim is for 6 years in arrears.

2) When can I claim my tax back?
As soon as you stop working you can claim any tax rebate that you might be due.

3) Who is due a tax refund when leaving the country?
Almost anyone that has worked in the UK, paid income tax and then leaves for an extended period of time will be able to apply for a tax rebate when leaving the country.

4) Will I be able to Claim all my tax back when leaving the UK for good?
It will depend upon your income for each previous tax year and how much tax you paid. However, you will almost certainly be due a tax refund from the tax year in which you leave the UK.

Hope this helps.

John

Post by John » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:52 pm

Almost anyone that has worked in the UK, paid income tax and then leaves for an extended period of time will be able to apply for a tax rebate when leaving the country.
That depends upon when in the tax year they stop working in the UK. For example, someone stopping working in the UK in March is unlikely to be due any refund.
John

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:23 pm

What is important to understand is that when anyone employed in UK (therefore paying income tax) decides to leave UK (for good or for an extended period of time), he is only entitled to claim back any excess tax (already) paid and not any tax rebate or full tax refund!

e.g. -
Assuming that annual income tax libaility for an employed person is GBP 12K and his employer deducts 1K every month from his salary as income tax. But after working for 3 months (Apr, May and June) the employee decides to leave UK. In such case, therefore, the employee is only liable to pay income tax on the 3 months of salaried income in the tax year.

Now, if the income tax lability is less than 3K (1K tax deducted by employer at source x 3 months = 3K), the individual can claim refund of the excess tax paid. In other words, claim = 3K - income tax on 3 month's income (that he received in Apr, May and June).

He is not entitled to anything more than this.

regards

agonabazi
Newly Registered

Post by agonabazi » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:21 am

sushdmehta wrote:What is important to understand is that when anyone employed in UK (therefore paying income tax) decides to leave UK (for good or for an extended period of time), he is only entitled to claim back any excess tax (already) paid and not any tax rebate or full tax refund!

e.g. -
Assuming that annual income tax libaility for an employed person is GBP 12K and his employer deducts 1K every month from his salary as income tax. But after working for 3 months (Apr, May and June) the employee decides to leave UK. In such case, therefore, the employee is only liable to pay income tax on the 3 months of salaried income in the tax year.

Now, if the income tax lability is less than 3K (1K tax deducted by employer at source x 3 months = 3K), the individual can claim refund of the excess tax paid. In other words, claim = 3K - income tax on 3 month's income (that he received in Apr, May and June).

He is not entitled to anything more than this.

regards
U must be studing accounting or something like that.