ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign exchange from India to uk

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

london_prem

Foreign exchange from India to uk

Post by london_prem » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:32 am

How much foreign exchange can I bring from India to UK? I am asking because UK HMRC website says I can bring 10,000 Euros (Rs 6,30,000) but I hear I can take only 10,000 USD (Rs 4,50,000) outside of Indian airport.

Shall I convert Rs 6,30,000 to GBP or Rs 4,50,000 to GBP?

Is there any limit on how much cash in GBP I can take out of total foreign exchange?

What if I want to take more than 10,000 euro or USD from India? Is that possible?

Can I get cash from Travelers cheque once I am in UK (without opening bank account)?

Thanks,

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:34 am

You are a rich man.
Third World Traveller

london_prem

Post by london_prem » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:32 pm

Please reply to my original question. Thanks

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Why do you need that much cash? Can you not just withdraw some once you are here in the UK?

Edit:

Just did a bit of research and found

"Please note that from 15 June 2007, if you are travelling to or from a country outside the European Union (EU), you will need to declare any sums of cash of 10,000 Euro or more (or the equivalent in another currency) to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)."

So you can bring as much as you like providing that you declare it at both airports.

I suggest buying a very good padlock!!!! :D

hsmp_1476

Post by hsmp_1476 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:39 pm

sorry, I dont know answer to your question, but though this might help -

You can get prepaid GBP bank cards from India. You can use them here in UK as normal bank cards. Those cards issueed in India wont be ;Chip n Pin', so not all places may accept it here.

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:59 pm

HSMP_maybe wrote:You are a rich man.
I see that you don't like my comment. Sorry about that. Look, just one piece of advice. Don't bring all that cash with you. Use a prepaid currency card like from Axis here.
http://www.axisbank.com/personal/cards/ ... sstheGlobe
You will probably loose a few quid in conversion, but IMHO, the reduced risk is well worth it. You can use it in link machine here in UK.

Alternatively use an Indian credit card which is linked to you account in India, so that you can either pay bills by transferring money from one account to another(online or D/D).
Third World Traveller

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:55 am

My two cents:

1. Carry some amount of cash (GBP) with you .. to help you tide over the initial days / weeks until you open a bank account.
2. Bring along some traveller cheques (easily enchashable at post offices, banks).
3. And if you find yourself in need of more money later on, someone from your family can transfer money electronically from your/their account in India to your account in the UK.

How much money you'll need will depend on where (and how) you want to live! Since you intend to live in London, as you move out from centre (Zone1) to the fringes (Zone 6/suburbs etc.), your cost of living will slide downhill.

Bank account, National Insurance and SIM.

regards

london_prem

Post by london_prem » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:18 pm

Thanks guys for replies. sushdmehta, you mentioned that someone can transfer electronically money from Indian bank account to UK bank account. How can that be done? Any website where we can get this done? Thanks a lot!

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:23 am

london_prem wrote:Thanks guys for replies. sushdmehta, you mentioned that someone can transfer electronically money from Indian bank account to UK bank account. How can that be done? Any website where we can get this done? Thanks a lot!
Enquire about international telegraphic transfer / wire transfer / swift transfer / outward foreign currency remittance in any bank where you hold an account. (e.g. ICICI, HDFC).

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blackwater1

Post by Blackwater1 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:20 am

Indian banks will have a tie up with local banks in foreign countries even if they do not have their own branches....e.g.ICICI has with LLOYDS...you can do a swift transfer...But I would suggest to carry 1000 GBP at least.Why to waste more rupees in foreign exchange conversion?