ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My Filipina Daughter Wants to Marry

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Paragtim
Newly Registered

My Filipina Daughter Wants to Marry

Post by Paragtim » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:22 am

Hi All

I brought my 2 step children here from the Philippines 5 years ago. My daughter wants to marry her Filipino boy-friend.

What is the best route to follow that will allow her to marry and bring her new husband to the UK as her spouse?

She came here on a child settlement visa that has been upgraded(?) on her Filipino passport renewal to ILR. She is now 20 years old.

Hopefully this is a simple question - lol

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:37 pm

It maybe better for her to become a british citizen first

She cannot get a spousal visa as she is under 21

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:46 pm

mochyn wrote:It maybe better for her to become a british citizen first

She cannot get a spousal visa as she is under 21
Shouldn't make any difference if she is a British citizen or not, but as you say they need to wait until they are both over 21.

Also she needs to be able to support him financially and have suitable accomodation.

John

Post by John » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Also she needs to be able to support him financially and have suitable accommodation.
Not quite; it needs to be clear that the visa applicant will not need to claim certain Public Funds, but the sponsor in the UK having enough money to show that is only one possibility.

For all we know .... and there is no need for this to be clarified .... the fiancé might be rich, and well able to pass the financial test on his own.

But it is important that both of them are 21 before the application for the fiancé visa is made.
John

Paragtim
Newly Registered

Post by Paragtim » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:12 pm

Thanks for the prompt replies and the useful information.

A couple of follow ups.

mochyn:

Why do you suggest that it is better for her to become a British Citizen first? Being part of a thrifty Filipino Family she is bound to query the fact that this will more than likely double the cost :)

djb123:
She still lives in the family home and I am prepared for that to be the case until they are able to have a place of their own. (With the current economical environment that is likely to be a long time) Is that acceptable to the visa officials?

John:
None of my (extended) family have ever claimed anything. I think my wife would dis-own any of us that did make a claim :)
What Public Funds will she NOT Claim. My wife's initial visa stated that, but I never did find out what they were? :P

As usual the board is brilliant

John

Post by John » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:51 pm

It is not necessary for her to become a British Citizen first, if she does not want to. She has ILR and therefore has "settled status", so is well able to sponsor for a fiancé visa, once she is 21.

Also, the Philippines has a problem with dual nationality, I think. Am I right?

As regards Public Funds, the Immigration Rules are quite clear. There is a financial test and it is necessary to show that the applicant will not need to claim. The fact that you and your family have never claimed is irrelevant as to whether the test will be passed.

How old is your daughter's fiancé? And what does he do? Is he working? If so what sort of job does he do?
John

mochyn
Diamond Member

Re: My Filipina Daughter Wants to Marry

Post by mochyn » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:52 pm

Paragtim wrote:Hi All

I brought my 2 step children here from the Philippines 5 years ago. My daughter wants to marry her Filipino boy-friend.

What is the best route to follow that will allow her to marry and bring her new husband to the UK as her spouse?

She came here on a child settlement visa that has been upgraded(?) on her Filipino passport renewal to ILR. She is now 20 years old.

Hopefully this is a simple question - lol
As she has to be 21 before she can marry her (mahal) boy friend it would be better in the long run to have British Citizenship as it has definite advantages over Filipino Passport.
There is visa access and fees, consular protection but to name a few.
She can hold dual citizenship but if money is a constraint well there is no need to become British its just my humble opinion
Last edited by mochyn on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:54 pm

John wrote:It is not necessary for her to become a British Citizen first, if she does not want to. She has ILR and therefore has "settled status", so is well able to sponsor for a fiancé visa, once she is 21.

As regards Public Funds, the Immigration Rules are quite clear. There is a financial test and it is necessary to show that the applicant will not need to claim. The fact that you and your family have never claimed is irrelevant as to whether the test will be passed.

How old is your daughter's fiancé? And what does he do? Is he working? If so what sort of job does he do?
There is no problem with dual nationality with Filipino's now

Arroyo signed Dual Nationality bill in 2003

joe777

Post by joe777 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:23 am

mochyn wrote:
John wrote:It is not necessary for her to become a British Citizen first, if she does not want to. She has ILR and therefore has "settled status", so is well able to sponsor for a fiancé visa, once she is 21.

There is no problem with dual nationality with Filipino's now

Arroyo signed Dual Nationality bill in 2003
but it's probably a good idea to go thru the procedure for Philippine citizenship retention/reacquisition at the Philippines Embassy in London

:D