ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Landing Cards & Arrival Stamps-EEA Resident Card Holders

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

London-er

Landing Cards & Arrival Stamps-EEA Resident Card Holders

Post by London-er » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:12 am

It surprises me that UK is the only EU nation I know that EEA family members’ living in the UK fills –up Landing Cards and get arrival stamps as well. I am a PR holder and was asked to fill a landing card @ the airport last week and my passport was stamped as well.
Does anyone know if this is right?
:o :o

thsths

Re: Landing Cards & Arrival Stamps-EEA Resident Card Hol

Post by thsths » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:58 am

London-er wrote:It surprises me that UK is the only EU nation I know that EEA family members’ living in the UK fills –up Landing Cards and get arrival stamps as well. I am a PR holder and was asked to fill a landing card @ the airport last week and my passport was stamped as well.
No, it is not right. The law says very clearly that your passport is not to be stamped - see http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 123:EN:PDF Article 5.3. If you feel like, you could point out next time that they have just broken the law. And it probably helps to join the EEA queue - you are less likely to get a stamp there.

As to the landing card, that is up to the UK. I thought general policy is that you do not need one. But immigration officers are notoriously badly trained, so they may or may not know that.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:12 am

There used to be clear instruction for IOs not to stamp (unlawful) and not to ask for landing cards, but obviously the manual is being updated right now, see http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... onsmanual/ .

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:09 pm

I think it is Unlawful.
[b] EEA Regulation 11(3)[/b] wrote:
Right of admission to the United Kingdom
(3) An immigration officer may not place a stamp in the passport of a person admitted to the
United Kingdom under this regulation who is not an EEA national if the person produces a
residence card or permanent residence card.
Also see
[b] Immigration Directorate Instructions [/b] wrote:

5.2.1. Landing cards for non-EEA family members
As a family member has a right to admission and residence simply by virtue of proving that
he/she is, or has been, the family member of an EEA national with a right to reside it is
considered unduly onerous to require holders of family permits and residence cards to
submit any form of additional documentation, including a landing card.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

London-er

Post by London-er » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Just Returned from Euro zone through Luton Airport tonight. The immigration controller asked me for my landing card and I told him we do not have to fill them any longer and He requested to know why and I told him I’m a family member of EEA citizen.
He told me I should be queuing up with EU passport holders and not with ALL OTHER passport Holders.
I wish to share this on this forum that RC/PR card holders are better-off queuing up with EU Passport holders in order to avoid their passports being stamped or being asked for a landing card. :)

DFDS.

Post by DFDS. » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:23 pm

thsths wrote:
London-er wrote:It surprises me that UK is the only EU nation I know that EEA family members’ living in the UK fills –up Landing Cards and get arrival stamps as well. I am a PR holder and was asked to fill a landing card @ the airport last week and my passport was stamped as well.
No, it is not right. The law says very clearly that your passport is not to be stamped - see http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 123:EN:PDF Article 5.3. If you feel like, you could point out next time that they have just broken the law. And it probably helps to join the EEA queue - you are less likely to get a stamp there.

As to the landing card, that is up to the UK. I thought general policy is that you do not need one. But immigration officers are notoriously badly trained, so they may or may not know that.
Ethier of the THREE! Bad training, Ignorancy or they happen to do it intentionaly.
Relax! and this too shall pass, secrets are like seasons, they change.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:19 pm

I agree with you DFDS.

Saying UKBA staff and establishment are institutionally unlawful and incompetent, will be a huge understatement.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

bumpe
Newly Registered

Post by bumpe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:18 pm

My personal experience

I am an African married to an EU.

Was issued EEA visa to enter UK and this was always stamped.

In UK i applied for a resident permit and was issued one.

Recently i flew back to UK and went through my normal gate (Non Eu) passport holders or (all cthers) on the desk the UKBA officer saw my resident permit on my passport and refused to serve me, he told me am in the wrong gate and i should use the EU passport holders, he tore my landing card and told me as long as i have the resident permit i should NEVER bother with it again. I made my way back to the EU passport holders with my African passport :) and without a landing card, the person at the EU desk kindly asked me how my holiday was as he scanned my visa and told me Welcome back to UK. NO stamp, no landing card, no questions, hustle free.

So i think that you all get it wrong and the UKBA is right (no hard feelings tho) EEA family permit is always stamped. Resident Card is not.

The difference is that when you are entering the UK as a Family member of EEA you are not yet a UK resident.

If you enter the UK and get UK residence, you are issued a Resident card as a Family member of EEA then, from that time UKBA treats you as an EU passport holder even if you are non-eu so you can enter UK through the EU passport holders and your passport is not stamped and no landing card is needed.

I dont know for certain whats right or wrong but i have just shared my experience.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:20 am

bumpe wrote:So i think that you all get it wrong and the UKBA is right (no hard feelings tho) EEA family permit is always stamped. Resident Card is not.
That's exactly what several people have already said in this thread, also backed up with links directly to official web pages. And UKBA does get it wrong, quite regularly obviously. Some people just have difficulties wrapping their mind around the fact that the residence card is not the EEA family permit (though to be fair, it was before 2006).

London-er

Post by London-er » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:06 pm

bumpe wrote:

My personal experience

I am an African married to an EU.

Was issued EEA visa to enter UK and this was always stamped.

In UK i applied for a resident permit and was issued one.

Recently i flew back to UK and went through my normal gate (Non Eu) passport holders or (all cthers) on the desk the UKBA officer saw my resident permit on my passport and refused to serve me, he told me am in the wrong gate and i should use the EU passport holders, he tore my landing card and told me as long as i have the resident permit i should NEVER bother with it again. I made my way back to the EU passport holders with my African passport :) and without a landing card, the person at the EU desk kindly asked me how my holiday was as he scanned my visa and told me Welcome back to UK. NO stamp, no landing card, no questions, hustle free.

So i think that you all get it wrong and the UKBA is right (no hard feelings tho) EEA family permit is always stamped. Resident Card is not.

The difference is that when you are entering the UK as a Family member of EEA you are not yet a UK resident.

If you enter the UK and get UK residence, you are issued a Resident card as a Family member of EEA then, from that time UKBA treats you as an EU passport holder even if you are non-eu so you can enter UK through the EU passport holders and your passport is not stamped and no landing card is needed.

I dont know for certain whats right or wrong but i have just shared my experience.

Dear Bumpe,
what happend to you could be one chance out of several, sincerely , I've made uncountless trips to Eurozone since my RC and PR cards were issued and I have never met a passport Controller that told me I do not need a Landing card. They always stamped my Passport and collected my Landing card. I'm quite sure it happens everyday to other RC/PR hollders as well. It was from this forum that I realised it was unlawful. I presently hold a PR card and I was stamped into the UK with a landing card not long ago. I got married in the UK and applied for my RC in the UK. I have never held EEA family Entry permit and I do not know what a family permit looks like. UKBA passport controllers should know better.

akikodiana
Newly Registered

New rule? Landing Cards, EEA Resident Card, finger print?

Post by akikodiana » Mon May 31, 2010 8:20 am

Yesterday at London City Airport, I was told that next time I come back to the UK, I must go to Non-EU and fill in a landing card as the border control regulations will change soon. Also, I saw finger print reader machines at every counter.

Do you know what is the new rule?
Landing card requred again?
Must go to Non-EU?
Must give finger prints?

I am non-EU & have an EEA Resident Card, married to EEA national.

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: New rule? Landing Cards, EEA Resident Card, finger print

Post by Ben » Mon May 31, 2010 12:44 pm

akikodiana wrote:Yesterday at London City Airport, I was told that next time I come back to the UK, I must go to Non-EU and fill in a landing card as the border control regulations will change soon. Also, I saw finger print reader machines at every counter.

Do you know what is the new rule?
There isn't one.
akikodiana wrote:Landing card requred again?
Not unless it's also required for UK nationals.
akikodiana wrote:Must go to Non-EU?
Not unless UK nationals must.
akikodiana wrote:Must give finger prints?
Not unless UK nationals must.
akikodiana wrote:I am non-EU & have an EEA Resident Card, married to EEA national.
Then § 24 of Directive 2004/38/EC requires that you are treated equally with UK nationals.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

bumpe
Newly Registered

Post by bumpe » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Got disappointed the other day, i went to the EU side and was asked to go to NON EU and my passport was stamped.
I then went to the UKBA supervisor and asked for clarification of residence card and he told me that next time i should go to the NON EU but NOT fill in the landing card.
I think its nonsense and neither the UKBA officials nor there seniors have a clue about this issue. But the bottom line is while in possession of a residence card, I DO NOT NEED TO FILL IN THE LANDING CARD AND I SHOULD USE THE SAME ENTRANCE AS EU.

WellingtonKiwi

Post by WellingtonKiwi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:00 am

It’s nonsense alright. I have a residence card and am told something different every time I re-enter the UK (either that I should be in the ‘all other passports’ queue, or the EU queue, or that I have to be travelling with my EEA partner). I have managed though not to have to fill in a landing card or have my passport stamped by pointing out the rules to them.

Last time I went through immigration, the UKBA officer peered at my RC, said ‘I’m not sure what this means’ and let me through anyway!

I wonder if it’d help to print out a copy of the rules and take it when you travel, since UKBA certainly don’t know what the rules are?

msi786
Newly Registered

Post by msi786 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:18 pm

I was told by one of the Immigration Officers at Heathrow that when I travel with my wife (who is an EEA national) I do not need to fill in the landind card and I can join my wife in the EEA queue.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:31 pm

I take this all to suggest you should use the shortest fastest line and ignore what is written on the sign.

It sounds like they will just give you random information when you ask which is the correct line.

London-er

Post by London-er » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:57 am

msi786 wrote:I was told by one of the Immigration Officers at Heathrow that when I travel with my wife (who is an EEA national) I do not need to fill in the landind card and I can join my wife in the EEA queue.
UKBA can't get it right. Different controllers with different views. I have decided not to go through ''ALL OTHER PASSPORTS'' any longer. And never to fill-out or hand in any Landing cards and it has been working for me.
In order to avoid insults, I advice RC/PR holders to go through ''EU PASSPORTS''

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:57 am

The Directive requires that member states treat people covered by the Directive in the same way as their own nationals, except as explicitly specified in the Directive. This would tend to suggest that you can not require them to fill out landing cards or go through the non-EU line at the airport.

DFDS.

Post by DFDS. » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:57 pm

Besides the UKBA, most co-operates in the UK, have got very few well trained staff. Just grab the phone, speak to the person on the other side of the line, or try to make an inquiry, and you will see what kind of response you will get. Some times it takes five customer service representatives to get the right information you want!

Its a Big shame.

jajanana

Post by jajanana » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:09 am

Those people that received the calls are not immigration workers but customer service advisor.

DFDS.

Post by DFDS. » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:45 am

jajanana wrote:Those people that received the calls are not immigration workers but customer service advisor.
Jajana, I said besides, trying to give you the general view of services in the UK.

And for your information, immigration staff are offering services as well. So they are also customer srevices represetatives.

jajanana

Post by jajanana » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:17 pm

Shame on them, when will they change for the better?
Look at the British born citizen leaving the Uk for Australia every month.

Patience

Post by Patience » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:31 pm

I arrived from Australia into Heathrow on Tuesday morning.I hold a 5 year residence card.

I used the UK and European queue and presented my passport. Immigration officer looked at it, and told me wrong queue.I calmly said, no sorry, right queue.He was perplexed as I was very calm and firm about it.Then he leaned over to his colleague and asked .. and his colleague confirmed I am on the right queue.He apologised and returned my passport.No stamp and no other question.

Patience

Post by Patience » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:33 pm

Forgot to add I was travelling alone and did not fill the landing card.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:41 am

The border control experience differs. I for one, and travelling with my hubby, got a lot of stick from an IO at Brussels midi who was of the opinion that:

1. I needed to complete a landing card and have my passport stamped
2. My RC could be cancelled (by an IO) at any time
3. My rights of residence in the UK will seize when my RC expires; at which time I would have to "leave the country".

To say I was miffed would be an understatement... Yet, as another taster, I may join the UK/EU/EEA queue next time i'm out.