ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wt to do immediately after reaching UK?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kalam143
Newly Registered

Wt to do immediately after reaching UK?

Post by kalam143 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:30 am

Hi all
I am starting by this month end. I would like to know the details for the following items,

1) Calling card to india ? Cheap sim cards? Is there an option to buy calling cards online?
2) Health insurance?
3) General tips and tricks?

Can any one point me the previous posts in this regard.. It will be better if the moderator make a similar post as a sticky

Thanks

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:00 pm

Glad someone asked this...

Assuming you'll land in Heathrow and would move somewhere in London & then start searching for jobs. Just like i did.

TAXI:
You can book a minicab (pre-arranged cab) online say from www.londonheathrowcars.com or likewise...
or you can take the Heathrow express (~£16) to reach up to Paddington & then take a cab to your location.

STAY:
I stayed at the Indian YMCA hostel; £10 taxi from paddington & is cheap compared to a hotel & you get to meet a lot young people + avg food; www.indianymca.org

TRAVEL
Go to the nearest tube station & get yourself an Oyster card (£3). Then top this up with some money say 10 / 20£; You can use this to move around in bus / tube. Once you get settled in a job, then go in for a weekly/ monthly travel pass. Check tfl.gov.uk for more info.

NATIONAL INSURANCE:
Call & book an appointment with job-centre to obtain your National Insurance number. You'd need a passport + address proof.
You'll need this so that HMRC can assign correct tax code & deduct the right income tax.

JOBS:
You'll most probably work as a Contractor (Temp) or a Permanent employee. If you are a Temp, one way of saving HUGE amounts of tax is setting up your own Ltd Company. Google and you get more on this.

CALLING CARDS:
I don't use them, 'coz for my circumstances it is a rip-off; If you want, you can get some from the East Ham or other similar Asian centric areas. I guess you get something like 5 cards for £7; Or u can opt for sim cards like www.lycamobile.co.uk;

HEALTH:
Register with your local GP as soon as you arrive (http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/Pa ... earch.aspx)
Even if you haven't you can visit the local A&E (Accident & Emergency) to if you have a problem.

Unless, you need private medical care, you wouldn't need a separate health insurance.

DON'Ts:
> Don't bring any rice, spices, maggi etc you can get them all here. In fact even at Sainsbury's (much better quality than you can get at home).
For that weight you can get something else. (like a good suit etc).
> Don't buy calling cards from your country (like AirTel, BSNL etc) it is not a good value for money.

'am sure others can add more..

smarty1277

Post by smarty1277 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:19 pm

Thanks for sharing this valuable info rsatish....
"When you rise up, your friends know who you are!!! When you fall down, you know who your friends are!!! "

zmirza363
Newly Registered

Wt to do immediaely after reaching UK

Post by zmirza363 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:01 am

Interesting topic to discuss. share my recent experience on Jan.2010.

Step-1:
Go to DVLA office with you pasport & apply for Provional licence.
Cost is 55 BP and they will needyour original pssport.

In my case I was living with my friend ad I used samestreet address for registration for Provisional licence(DVLA)

My passport was returned in one wek on the address I metioned above.

I got my DVLA in 3 days after I recieved my passport. So total 10 days.

Note the address given on you DVLA will be usefull to open a bank account. and to get NI nunmber.

Step-2:

Get a NI Mumber as explained abobe.

Step-3:
Open a bank account with any reputable bnk. Deposit Just 10 GBP as start.

Step-4:
Register yourself with local GP. Its very easy.

I did all abovein 25 days.

Rgards.

ZAM

+44 121 270 6252