ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA2 + passport back to travel = needs family member permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nao123
Newly Registered

EEA2 + passport back to travel = needs family member permit

Post by nao123 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Ok, question I hope someone can help me with because I'm going crazy trying to get an answer out of UKBA...

I've applied for an EEA2 - I got the COA on Feb 21st but as of today I don't have a casework - but that's not the problem.

My partner is having a big family event in April so I've requested our passports back so we can attend. I've been been told by 3 different people at the Liverpool office that once I leave the country, I will need to apply for a Family Member Permit at the embassy in Dublin. This will apparently give me the right to go in and out of the country for 6 months while the EEA2 is under consideration. They also told me that for more info, I need to speak to the embassy directly.

So, called the embassy, who told me to call Worldbridge - and their phone number is out of service! That said, everything I can find online about this Family Member permit only suggests that I essentially have to apply for an EEA2 all over again (but under the Family Member Permit title) from Dublin.

So does this mean that if I get my passport back and leave the country my current EEA2 app is suspended/cancelled and I need to start all over again from outside the country. It does not make sense to me at all - why can't they just give me this Family Member Permit while they have the passport in their hands now?

Has anyone else got this Family Member Permit or been in the same situation?

Thanks

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:03 pm

The EEA FP is an entrance clearance. What you have applied for on form EEA2 is the residence card. The application will not be cancelled when you ask back for your passport.

WellingtonKiwi

Post by WellingtonKiwi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:23 am

As above, the Family Permit is a form of entry clearance so you can have or apply for both at once. Yes, you need to provide the same evidence for the Family Permit as for the EEA2 – do you have certified copies of evidence (as it may be an issue if held by UKBA for your EEA2)?
I got a FP in Dublin last November and it was very quick (2 days) but you have to fill in an online application first, in order to get an appointment to go to the Embassy in Dublin to submit your application and have biometric data taken (when I did it, I had to wait 2-3 weeks for an appointment), Otherwise the process is quick, and free.
The FP is handy because it allows you to travel while the EEA2 is being considered, and UKBA will request return of your passport once they’re ready to issue a decision.
In my experience, posting questions through the Worldbridge site (for Dublin) got very quick responses.

nao123
Newly Registered

Post by nao123 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:49 am

Thanks for all that info folks! Worldbridge did email me back, though they didn't actually answer my questions. Thank god for this forum!

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:57 am

I have my very personal opinion about 'services' like Wordlbridge, VFS or how they are all called but when you read closely on their web pages you will find that they can't advise you on how to fill in an applications or what type of visa to get.

nao123
Newly Registered

Post by nao123 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Hello again - i know Iposted this awhile ago but a quick update.... I have applied for my Family Member Permit. My partner is not with me. Wellingtonkiwi, did the permit you receive from teh Dublin embassy allow you to enter the UK by yourself, or only with your partner? I handed in my on April 7th and now it's the 13th and no news from the embassy. I'm worried that because I need the type that allows me to come and go without my partner, I will have a heavy delay.

Thanks again everyone!

WellingtonKiwi

Post by WellingtonKiwi » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:34 pm

nao123 wrote:Hello again - i know Iposted this awhile ago but a quick update.... I have applied for my Family Member Permit. My partner is not with me. Wellingtonkiwi, did the permit you receive from teh Dublin embassy allow you to enter the UK by yourself, or only with your partner? I handed in my on April 7th and now it's the 13th and no news from the embassy. I'm worried that because I need the type that allows me to come and go without my partner, I will have a heavy delay.

Thanks again everyone!
Yes, I entered the UK by myself – the FP stated “EEA family member of [partner’s name]â€

adolma999
Newly Registered

Post by adolma999 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi

I received COA on 1 st March 2010. Again big family event in June and need to request my passport for travel, I am basically on a work permit and have a valid visa till August 2010. Do you think I would still be able to travel on that visa? or do you think the HO would have invalidated my work permit visa and now am stuck without being able to travel?

WellingtonKiwi

Post by WellingtonKiwi » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:11 am

adolma999 wrote:Hi

I received COA on 1 st March 2010. Again big family event in June and need to request my passport for travel, I am basically on a work permit and have a valid visa till August 2010. Do you think I would still be able to travel on that visa? or do you think the HO would have invalidated my work permit visa and now am stuck without being able to travel?
As far as I’m aware they won’t invalidate your visa just because you have made an application for a residence card (though I think that once the residence card is granted it will supersede any other UK visa)…. When are you planning to return to the UK? Assuming it’s in June, you should be fine because your visa will still be valid. Perhaps a guru can clarify/confirm!

nao123
Newly Registered

Post by nao123 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:47 am

Grrr. Have been rejected for a Family Member Permit because my partner and I were not able, in the UK Dublin embassy's opinion, to prove we are in a relationship! (we are an unmarried same sex couple) So need to reply again - what a hassle! So this is what we are going to send in addition to all the bank statments, utility bills, employer letters, etc that we handed in last time:

- photos from holidays together
- flight tickets from holidays together
- letters from family and friends stating we are in fact a couple!

Any other suggestions? Matching tattoos? Video recording of us bickering?! Thanks all !

WellingtonKiwi

Post by WellingtonKiwi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:25 am

nao123 wrote:Grrr. Have been rejected for a Family Member Permit because my partner and I were not able, in the UK Dublin embassy's opinion, to prove we are in a relationship! (we are an unmarried same gender couple) So need to reply again - what a hassle! So this is what we are going to send in addition to all the bank statments, utility bills, employer letters, etc that we handed in last time:

- photos from holidays together
- flight tickets from holidays together
- letters from family and friends stating we are in fact a couple!

Any other suggestions? Matching tattoos? Video recording of us bickering?! Thanks all !
How frustrating!! (love the matching tattoos idea though)
Did you supply lease / tenancy documents with the first application? Other ideas - personal statement from each of you individually, or together, describing your relationship/intentions etc; if you have housemates, include a letter from them. . I also supplied phone/email records, and a copy of my 'expression of wish' form which names him as a beneficiary of my pension fund if I die. This is all 'soft' evidence and over and above what you should need to provide, but possibly useful if you feel they need extra convincing! Do you have any utilities or bank statements with both of your names? (if not, open a joint account, both put some money in, get a printed statement from the bank). With mine I also showed evidence of shared finances through transfers between us (he owed me money) and payment of rent etc from a single account

Good luck!

nao123
Newly Registered

Post by nao123 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:50 am

thanks for the help. Last Friday (16th) I was able to get an appointment and give them letters from family members, past travel tickets with both our names on them, photos from holidays, a long letter from myself explaining our situation (could not get one from my partner as they are in the UK and we only had 24 hours to whip this all up). We do have insurance papers showing that I am her next of kin in case she passes away, but once again due to the short notice I could not get those from her in time for the appointment. One things I did explain is that she and I are supposed to go to Greece on Tuesday, April 27th for a resort. I supplied the copy of the air and hotel reservation with both our name in it. I hope this will show them that we are eager to get it resolved!

No word yet on whether or not this has been accepted, but I hope we hear something today. The one they refused seemed to take 4 business days to decide, so fingers crossed!

Thanks again - this is all good prep for the additional docs we will now be sending the Liverpool UKBA regarding our EEA2.

Roland
Newly Registered

Post by Roland » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:24 am

Hi Folks,

I need my passport back immediately. I just sent the EEA2 application on the last Friday, but unfortunately I lost my job. I need my passport to get other job.
Can anyone send me a phone number where can I get back?

Thanks guys!

ecoj
- thin ice -

Post by ecoj » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:05 am

nao123 wrote:thanks for the help. Last Friday (16th) I was able to get an appointment and give them letters from family members, past travel tickets with both our names on them, photos from holidays, a long letter from myself explaining our situation (could not get one from my partner as they are in the UK and we only had 24 hours to whip this all up). We do have insurance papers showing that I am her next of kin in case she passes away, but once again due to the short notice I could not get those from her in time for the appointment. One things I did explain is that she and I are supposed to go to Greece on Tuesday, April 27th for a resort. I supplied the copy of the air and hotel reservation with both our name in it. I hope this will show them that we are eager to get it resolved!

No word yet on whether or not this has been accepted, but I hope we hear something today. The one they refused seemed to take 4 business days to decide, so fingers crossed!

Thanks again - this is all good prep for the additional docs we will now be sending the Liverpool UKBA regarding our EEA2.
it's been a while now.. I'm curious to know what happened?

sanu84

Post by sanu84 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:56 am

WellingtonKiwi wrote:As above, the Family Permit is a form of entry clearance so you can have or apply for both at once. Yes, you need to provide the same evidence for the Family Permit as for the EEA2 – do you have certified copies of evidence (as it may be an issue if held by UKBA for your EEA2)?
I got a FP in Dublin last November and it was very quick (2 days) but you have to fill in an online application first, in order to get an appointment to go to the Embassy in Dublin to submit your application and have biometric data taken (when I did it, I had to wait 2-3 weeks for an appointment), Otherwise the process is quick, and free.
The FP is handy because it allows you to travel while the EEA2 is being considered, and UKBA will request return of your passport once they’re ready to issue a decision.
In my experience, posting questions through the Worldbridge site (for Dublin) got very quick responses.
Hi WellingtonKiwi,

I have requested my passport back and now the HO is asking me to return it.
The thing is that I have to travel on 21 July.
Let say if I send my passport today and the HO receive it on Monday 28 June.
Do you know how long it is gonna take them to send my passport back with the RC? Will I receive it before 21 July?