ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

2nd extension for existing Tier 1 holder with a Bachelors.

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MJNair

2nd extension for existing Tier 1 holder with a Bachelors.

Post by MJNair » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:58 pm

This may sound silly.. but I would like to be sure...

I came to the UK on HSMP in Jan 2008 & extended to Tier 1(General) in November 2009. I only have a Bachelors degree.
Even with my extension I am still 1 month short of the qualifying period for settlement & hence would have to go for another extension.

This is from the HO's statement of policy:
Points for a Bachelor degree and/or earnings under £20,000 will not be available for those who were previously granted leave under Tier 1 (General) on or after 31 March 2009.
I extended from HSMP to Tier 1 (General) after March 2009.

Would this apply to me?
Can I extend a second time with just a Bachelors?

It is a little confusing!

Please let me know your comments...

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:30 am

I think you should be able to extend on the basis of your bachelor degree.

Although your new name is Tier 1 General but in real you are HSMP holder.

This point is for those people who entered/switched to Tier 1 General in the said dates for the very first time. Extension is something different.

After the result of JR the UKBA is very careful in defining the extension criteria whenever the new changes are introduced.

Date of first entry or date of visa stamping is not considered when you apply for extension. The only thing which is considered in the extension application is that on which date did you make/post your application to BHC/UKBA and under what rules your application was assessed. And all extension applications are treated inline with the extension requirements published at the time of your initial application.

sadiq_shaikh
Newly Registered

Tier 1 extension new rule

Post by sadiq_shaikh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:58 am

Even my situation is little tricky:
I came to UK on work permit on 1st June 2007. Applied for Tier 1 on 27th March 2009 and got Tier1 visa stamping on my passport from 6th May 2009 to 6th May 2012. I have bachelor degree so as per this clause I cant get point for my bachelor degree as I got visa stamp on 6th May 2009 which is after 31st March 2009. Do you know if its application date or visa stamp date?

Regards,
Sadiq

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Re: 2nd extension for existing Tier 1 holder with a Bachelor

Post by arsenal49 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:29 am

MJNair wrote:This may sound silly.. but I would like to be sure...

I came to the UK on HSMP in Jan 2008 & extended to Tier 1(General) in November 2009. I only have a Bachelors degree.
Even with my extension I am still 1 month short of the qualifying period for settlement & hence would have to go for another extension.

Points for a Bachelor degree and/or earnings under £20,000 will not be available for those who were previously granted leave under Tier 1 (General) on or after 31 March 2009.

Would this apply to me?

Contact UKBA. tell them that you have been working for 4 year and 11 months but need extra month to qualify for residency.

They might change the dates so you have 5 years,in total, as a work permit holder.

You really shouldnt need to extend it more than 2 times when you are a wok permit holder.

regards

alladin

Re: 2nd extension for existing Tier 1 holder with a Bachelor

Post by alladin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:07 pm

MJNair wrote:This may sound silly.. but I would like to be sure...

Would this apply to me?

I am also in the same situation, exactly 30 days short for PR as per current rules.

Abt this particular clause., "I think" this is because, the fresh applicants for tier 1 after March 2009 needed to have masters and min 20k pounds. So points still won't be available to those guys who came here after Mar 30, 2009 for bachelors and earnings less than 20k GBP.

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:12 pm

I think they put this clause in to make sure that people who got their Tier 1's (not the extensions) after March '09 did not use the bachelors degree to gain extra points in case they were short of earnings points.

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi arsenal,

I am a HSMP to Tier 1 holder.
Contact UKBA. tell them that you have been working for 4 year and 11 months but need extra month to qualify for residency.

They might change the dates so you have 5 years,in total, as a work permit holder.

You really shouldnt need to extend it more than 2 times when you are a wok permit holder.
I did not understand what you meant by '
They might change the dates so you have 5 years in total
'.

I came to the UK for the 1st time on HSMP and after 1 month from the date of visa start date. Hence I am short of 1 month (Actually 3 days short of the 28 days period) to qualify for ILR.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:45 pm

MJNair wrote:Hi arsenal,

I am a HSMP to Tier 1 holder.

I did not understand what you meant by '
They might change the dates so you have 5 years in total
'.

I came to the UK for the 1st time on HSMP and after 1 month from the date of visa start date. Hence I am short of 1 month (Actually 3 days short of the 28 days period) to qualify for ILR.
ummm, if your hsmp visa PLUS tier 1 visa is equal to 5 years i think you can apply for ILR. Now, if you are JUST short of this period by a few days then i am pretty sure it should not affect your application. Call UKBA, see what they say...

regards

hsmpOct2008
Newly Registered

Post by hsmpOct2008 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:20 pm

MJNair wrote:I think they put this clause in to make sure that people who got their Tier 1's (not the extensions) after March '09 did not use the bachelors degree to gain extra points in case they were short of earnings points.
this is not clear to me.
If somebody did apply first time for Tier1 after March09, it means they did so on the basis of a masters degree.
And you can claim points only for 1 qualification.
So whats the point of not allowing them to claim for bachelors, I mean even if they could, I dont see why they would claim for bachelors when they could claim for their masters degree that has more points.

In a similar situation myself, with a hsmp in 2008 and a tier1 extension in june 2009.
so can we still use bachelors degree for claiming points in the 2nd extension keeping in mind what MJNair says in his first post ?

Many thanks.

alladin

Post by alladin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi guys,

I have checked the points based calculator and there is a section for

"Enter the date of your first successful tier 1 application" , the help for which is as follows:

Points-based calculator - help

Enter the date you first successfully applied under Tier 1 of the points-based system.

If you are applying under Tier 1 (General) of the points-based system this must be on or after 29 February 2008. If you first successfully applied under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP), Self Employed Lawyers concession or the Writers, composers and artists category and you are applying under Tier 1 (General) enter 29 February 2008.

If you are applying under Tier 1 (Post Study Work), Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) or Tier 1 (Investors) this must be on or after 30 June 2008.

And since I successfully applied under HSMP, I selected 29 Feb 2008. I was able to get the 30 points for my bachelors degree. Please correct me if I have overlooked something.

I might also need a 2nd extension as I am at 30 days short of ILR "as per current rules or guidelines. "

(Another curious thing is my 4 year and 11 months ends on a friday. So if I am applying on that day for ILR by post, my aplication would only reach UKBA on monday or tuesday at the earliest and this will cause my period of stay to come inside the last 28 days of stay. Just wondering if it would be ok to think for a positive outcome in this case ???

In the policy and law section for ILR for Tier1 , for calculating the continous period of 5 years its says the following ::

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Annex A – Calculation of the five year period for settlement
In assessing whether or not an applicant has fulfilled the requirement to have spent five years in continuous residence in the UK, short absences abroad, for example for holidays (consistent with annual paid leave) or business trips (consistent with maintaining employment or self-employment in the United Kingdom), may be disregarded, provided the applicant has clearly continued to be based here.
Discretion in cases where continuous residence has been broken
In addition, time spent here may exceptionally be aggregated, and continuity not insisted upon, in cases where:
•
there have been no absences abroad (apart from those described in the paragraph above) and authorised employment or business here has not been broken by any interruptions of more than three months or amounting to more than six months in total;
or
•
there have been longer absences abroad, provided the absences were for compelling grounds either of a compassionate nature or for reasons related to the applicant's employment or business in the United Kingdom. None of the absences abroad should be of more than three months duration, and they must not amount to more than six months in total for the whole five year period..

SO will it be ok to say that the first 30 days absence in the five year period was due to some personal reasons or obligations at home etc ?? I mean will it be a valid case ??
)

Well all this argument holds if the rules or guidelines remain the same in 2012.

Thoughts welcome :roll:

cheers,
alladin
hsmpOct2008 wrote:
MJNair wrote:I think they put this clause in to make sure that people who got their Tier 1's (not the extensions) after March '09 did not use the bachelors degree to gain extra points in case they were short of earnings points.
this is not clear to me.
If somebody did apply first time for Tier1 after March09, it means they did so on the basis of a masters degree.
And you can claim points only for 1 qualification.
So whats the point of not allowing them to claim for bachelors, I mean even if they could, I dont see why they would claim for bachelors when they could claim for their masters degree that has more points.

In a similar situation myself, with a hsmp in 2008 and a tier1 extension in june 2009.
so can we still use bachelors degree for claiming points in the 2nd extension keeping in mind what MJNair says in his first post ?

Many thanks.

hsmpOct2008
Newly Registered

Post by hsmpOct2008 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:46 pm

alladin wrote: I have checked the points based calculator and there is a section for

"Enter the date of your first successful tier 1 application" , the help for which is as follows:

Enter the date you first successfully applied under Tier 1 of the points-based system.

If you are applying under Tier 1 (General) of the points-based system this must be on or after 29 February 2008. If you first successfully applied under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP), Self Employed Lawyers concession or the Writers, composers and artists category and you are applying under Tier 1 (General) enter 29 February 2008.

If you are applying under Tier 1 (Post Study Work), Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) or Tier 1 (Investors) this must be on or after 30 June 2008.

And since I successfully applied under HSMP, I selected 29 Feb 2008. I was able to get the 30 points for my bachelors degree. Please correct me if I have overlooked something.

I might also need a 2nd extension as I am at 30 days short of ILR "as per current rules or guidelines. "
when you go in for a second extension in Tier1, what would be that "the date you first successfully applied under Tier 1" in the PBS calculator.

As per the above guidelines would it be 29Feb2008 or would it be June2009 which was when I did my first extension in Tier1 ?
I think thats the question even MJNair has if I understood that right.

Ive read the application and that also confirms that I cannot use points for a bachelors degree if my leave to remain in Tier1 has been after 30Mar2009.

Anybody can throw some light on this please ?

alladin

Post by alladin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:06 pm

it says==>

"If you first successfully applied under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP), Self Employed Lawyers concession or the Writers, composers and artists category and you are applying under Tier 1 (General) enter 29 February 2008."

and in the end of the help section it says

"You must enter a date of initial application which falls within the correct period you actually applied as failure to do so may result in you assessing against a date which is not applicable to you and receiving an incorrect assessment from the calculator."

from the above I think it means that for pple who applied under hsmp frm india would fall under 29 feb 2008.

cheers,
alladin
hsmpOct2008 wrote:
alladin wrote: I have checked the points based calculator and there is a section for

when you go in for a second extension in Tier1, what would be that "the date you first successfully applied under Tier 1" in the PBS calculator.

As per the above guidelines would it be 29Feb2008 or would it be June2009 which was when I did my first extension in Tier1 ?
I think thats the question even MJNair has if I understood that right.

Ive read the application and that also confirms that I cannot use points for a bachelors degree if my leave to remain in Tier1 has been after 30Mar2009.

Anybody can throw some light on this please ?

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:17 pm

The Immigration rules (Appendix A - Attributes) says that those who have or last had HSMP, Tier1 etc under the rules in place before 31st March 2009 can claim points for bachelors.. (at least this is my understanding)
I think those who are extending for the 2nd time would fall under the 'last had' category.

sharjeelpk

Post by sharjeelpk » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:35 pm

we will hoping to get the education point according to the HSMP (30 points for extention or second extention) but what about the age if I want my education points as I was HSMPian then to get max points for age one should be less then 30 and I think it is difficult for those who are planning to apply for 2nd extention.

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:58 pm

i think that age (as well as education) will be assessed again based on the extension criteria...

from the tier 1 policy guidance....

Extension Applications – where an applicant has, or last had leave as a self-employed lawyer and writers, composers and artists or as a Tier 1 (General) Migrant under the Rules in place before 6 April 2010
An applicant who is already in the
68. United Kingdom under the self-employed lawyers concession, writers, composers and artists or the Tier 1 (General) under the Immigration Rule in place before 6 April 2010 and is using the extension requirements of Tier 1 (General) can claim points as follows:
Under 31 years of age: 20 points •
31 or 32 years of age: 10 points •
33 or 34 years of age: 5 points

Extension applications- Applications for leave to remain where the applicant has, or last had, leave as a Highly Skilled Migrant, as a Writer, Composer or Artist, Self-employed Lawyer, or as a Tier 1 (General) Migrant under the rules in place before 31 March 2009
An applicant can score the following
77. points for qualification:
PhD* 50 points •
Master’s degree* 35 points •
Bachelor’s degree* 30 points

i think a number of people in this forum have applied early (upto 1 year.. probably more..) & got the extension stamped..

Would applying early be an option for you?

sharjeelpk

Post by sharjeelpk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Even I think if somebody had HSMP and applied after March 2009 for extention in Tier 1 and now want 2nd extention then read this sentence care fully

Extension applications- Applications for leave to remain where the applicant has, or last had, leave as a Highly Skilled Migrant, as a Writer, Composer or Artist, Self-employed Lawyer, or as a Tier 1 (General) Migrant under the rules in place before 31 March 2009
An applicant can score the following
77. points for qualification:
PhD* 50 points •
Master’s degree* 35 points •
Bachelor’s degree* 30 points

I beleave that now we are on tier 1 but we last had HSMP status so every body can claim 30 points for Bachelor’s degree even if applied after march 2009 for extention
I hope it makes sence