ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fast tack way for British citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Need-help
Newly Registered

Fast tack way for British citizenship

Post by Need-help » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:58 am

Hi,

I got my ILR stamped in Jan 2010, with ILR letter backdated to Nov 2009. I understand I can only apply for British citizenship in Jan 2011, as my first entry was in Jan 2006.

Is there any fast track way of getting British citizenship, as due to very serious personal problems I have to go back to India. I am not sure how much time it will take there ( 1-5 years)

At this moment I understand the best possible way is:

i) Get all my documents and get it checked by NCS.
ii) Post the document to Homeoffice, waiting time 3 months?
iii) Attend oath ceremony at the given date, which I think will be in April 2011 ( 3 months from Jan).
iv) As soon as it is done, apply for British passport...which will take around 3 weeks.

Is this the fastest I can go? Looking forwad to your reply.

Many thanks for your help.

iyanu
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by iyanu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Yes, I'm afraid!

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Re: Fast tack way for British citizenship

Post by raymasa2 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:26 pm

Need-help wrote:Hi,

I got my ILR stamped in Jan 2010, with ILR letter backdated to Nov 2009. I understand I can only apply for British citizenship in Jan 2011, as my first entry was in Jan 2006.

Is there any fast track way of getting British citizenship, as due to very serious personal problems I have to go back to India. I am not sure how much time it will take there ( 1-5 years)

At this moment I understand the best possible way is:

i) Get all my documents and get it checked by NCS.
ii) Post the document to Homeoffice, waiting time 3 months?
iii) Attend oath ceremony at the given date, which I think will be in April 2011 ( 3 months from Jan).
iv) As soon as it is done, apply for British passport...which will take around 3 weeks.

Is this the fastest I can go? Looking forwad to your reply.

Many thanks for your help.
iii) Attend oath ceremony at the given date, which I think will be in April
You could ask for private ceremony, which could be earlier than the given date, but only by a couple of weeks. You would have to pay extra for that.

Ray

Need-help
Newly Registered

Post by Need-help » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:08 pm

I am OK to pay extra...as long as I can save sometime....I wish if there was in-person interview for British citizenship...

Cheers

Need-help
Newly Registered

Post by Need-help » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Can I take oath ceremony and then apply for British passport from India?

Looking forward to your reply..

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:57 pm

Need-help wrote:Can I take oath ceremony and then apply for British passport from India?

That would be an issue, since on naturalisation ur ILR will be invalid and as u r then a BC ur Indian Citizenship is lost and passport void.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

R-

Post by R- » Mon May 03, 2010 11:59 am

Wanderer wrote:
Need-help wrote:Can I take oath ceremony and then apply for British passport from India?

That would be an issue, since on naturalisation ur ILR will be invalid and as u r then a BC ur Indian Citizenship is lost and passport void.
ILR becomes invalid after naturalisation? What if someone needs to leave the country after he has been naturalised but has yet to receive his british passport (consider dual nationality acceptable)? How/on what visa will he re enter the UK then?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Mon May 03, 2010 12:35 pm

As it has been rightly mentioned, this will create problems for you. You need to surrender you indian passport and then obtain a visa for India on your Brit passport. If you go to India on your indian passport, then you will be able to enter India, but it will be illegal. If you obtain a british passport from India, then you cant leave India on this Brit passport, as immigration in India would ask you why you do not have an Indian visa on that Brit passport. If you leave India on your Indian passport, then when you are back in UK, you will have to surrender it at some point, and Indian High commission could penalise you heavily for using your void Indian passport.
Best way would be to obtain Brit passport while you are in UK. Surrender your Indian passport to HCI, and get a surrender certificate. If you can manage to wait another 3-4 months after this then apply for OCI status while in UK. If you cant afford to wait 3-4 months then obtain a visa for India, and apply for OCI status while you are in India.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Mon May 03, 2010 12:40 pm

if this person is from a country that doesnt have an issue with dual nationality, then they can obtain a brit passport from nearest british post and travel back on this new brit passport. @ R-

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon May 03, 2010 12:57 pm

R- wrote:ILR becomes invalid after naturalisation? What if someone needs to leave the country after he has been naturalised but has yet to receive his british passport (consider dual nationality acceptable)? How/on what visa will he re enter the UK then?
He wouldn't be applying for a visa at the British embassy, he'd be applying for a passport.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:42 am

Maybe it's just me but intending to move abroad for maybe 5 years immediately after being granted British citizenship means the requirement "You must intend to continue living in the UK" is not actually met and any application would technically be fraudulent. Though I suspect you wouldn't have a problem doing it unless you made it obvious.

John

Post by John » Tue May 04, 2010 6:54 am

There are a number of rules as regards Naturalisation application, and over some of them UKBA have a discretion, but as regards the one I am just about to mention, they have no discretion.

Simply, the applicant (not married to or in Civil Partnership with a British Citizen) must have been physically in the UK exactly 5 years before UKBA receive the Naturalisation application.

So Need-help, any time in the UK prior to January 2006?
John