ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question on ILR requirements

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

patni
Newly Registered

Question on ILR requirements

Post by patni » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:14 am

Hello,

I am a bit unclear on what my situation is:

I have been in UK for nearly 5 years, and will be eligible for ILR application in May. All this time I have been continuously employed with a single employer. Unfortunately, I found out last week that I have been made redundant and my last day of work would be end April. I do have decent bank balance to show that I can maintain myself for a further 6 months if need be.

Questions:
Is having a job a requirement for ILR? I have 3 dependants applying with me. Will my application be rejected if I apply? What should i do?

Note: I hold a HSMP that is valid till 2012 and I have been in continuous legal status, no convictions etc etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

patni
Newly Registered

Post by patni » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:16 am

Silly, replying to myself, but on other threads, people have said being unemployed is "not a problem". Maybe not officially, but do i stand a higher chance of being rejected?

vinseh

Post by vinseh » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi,

Since you are on HSMP, being recently made redundant would not be a problem for you. There have been cases where HSMPians were unemployed for months but they still got their ILR. You have been economically active throughout and that should go in your favour...so no need to worry...good luck mate!

Senior members please comment if I am wrong...

diago_nelson

Post by diago_nelson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:58 pm

I agree with vinseh. Employment is not a requirement for Tier1 ILR route.
But you might need to show economic activity, so once your out of job, apply for job vacancies and more importantly keep all correspondences, interview letters, consultant correspondences, etc. showing that you are actively looking for a job.
Keep this letters with you and provide them if asked at PEO.
vinseh wrote:Hi,

Since you are on HSMP, being recently made redundant would not be a problem for you. There have been cases where HSMPians were unemployed for months but they still got their ILR. You have been economically active throughout and that should go in your favour...so no need to worry...good luck mate!

vinseh

Post by vinseh » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:07 am

diago_nelson wrote:I agree with vinseh. Employment is not a requirement for Tier1 ILR route.
But you might need to show economic activity, so once your out of job, apply for job vacancies and more importantly keep all correspondences, interview letters, consultant correspondences, etc. showing that you are actively looking for a job.
Keep this letters with you and provide them if asked at PEO.
vinseh wrote:Hi,

correct, thanks for elaborating my point mate...and again correct about producing the interview letters etc only if asked to.

booboo2010

Post by booboo2010 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:51 am

It doesnt matter if you are unemployed during the 4 years period but at the time of applying you should be in economic activity otherwise there are greater chance for being ILR refused,See for more clarification the link below

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/e ... ty_for_ilr

Hope it helps