ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query on New form

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Deep4ILR

Query on New form

Post by Deep4ILR » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:30 pm

Hello everyone,
I have thi confusion now on "SECTION 6 - ABSENCES FROM THE UK".
New question
When did you (the main applicant) first enter the UK? This refers to the date of your first entry into the UK.

Old question
When did you (the main applicant) first enter the UK? This refers to the
date of your first entry into the UK at the beginning of the period of stay
on which this application is based.

To me old question was making more sense then new .In the new question we will have to enter date you first entered to UK but that day might not be day of your start period of 5 year residency.
and there is no mention of dates in form on which your residency period starts. E.G I came to UK in oct 2004 first for a short period say 2 months but went back again then came back in April 2005 and thats the starting day i am claiiming my 5 years . how will i tell them that i want my ILR period to start from April 2005 not Oct 2004(when i landed first time)

Hope i am able to explain what my confusion is..
Can anyone please suggest/advice ?

Deep

John

Post by John » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:05 pm

In my opinion the old question was ambiguous, and led to questions being asked on this board ..... and the new question is not ambiguous.
John

mcclaine

Post by mcclaine » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:07 pm

John wrote:In my opinion the old question was ambiguous, and led to questions being asked on this board ..... and the new question is not ambiguous.
In my opinion, the old question was perfectly fine. The new one is a complete nightmare (said as someone who has a PEO appointment for ILR in the next couple of weeks and has filled up the old form, which I am minded to use nevertheless). The old question disregarded irrelevant prior periods. The new question, by asking for the first date one entered the UK, whether or not one is relying on that date for ILR purposes, and then asking for all subsequent movements in and out of the UK since such first date, effectively requires the applicant to provide a much longer (and completely irrelevant) travel history than the 5 year period on which he/she is relying for the ILR application. Someone like me, who came for 3 years in 2000, left in end 2002 and came back in 2005 now has to provide travel history from 2000. For no purpose. If this is UKBA's idea of clearing ambiguities (and I don't for a moment think the question, as previously phrased, was ambiguous) I am all for ambiguous forms rather than purported clarity!

winber

Post by winber » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:22 am

I agree, I first entered the UK in 1990, but I don't think that is the date they want.

When I fill this out in a few months time I'll be putting a date in 2005 which is the start of my (current) residency period.

rajesh1319

Post by rajesh1319 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:09 am

I think question on new form is confusing.

Anyways, what a person should write first date of entry OR date from which the application is considered ?

Senior member, pls. ans this query because even I am applying for ILR in person shortly.

-Rajesh

rajesh_1319@yahoo.com

John

Post by John » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:12 am

I agree, I first entered the UK in 1990, but I don't think that is the date they want.

When I fill this out in a few months time I'll be putting a date in 2005 which is the start of my (current) residency period.
All I can say is .... just answer the question! And don't try to guess why they are asking the question.

So on your facts, the correct answer is clearly 1990.
John

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:00 am

There are two point of views here:
1.Please do not forget that this is an application for ILR. Thus it makes sense to put in the date you entered UK, which is leading to ILR.
2.They might also want to track your entry in UK to make sure its legal, then if you entered UK and stayed, in another category,not leading to ILR, you should mention that date.If you left and returned it probably doesn't matter if the period is not being counted for ILR and one should enter the latest entry date.

Regards using the old form, it clearly says on the new one, that it is the only form valid from 6/04 onwards.

Best Regards

winber

Post by winber » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:14 am

All I can say is .... just answer the question! And don't try to guess why they are asking the question.

So on your facts, the correct answer is clearly 1990.
Good point! Anyway I'm planning on applying in person so I'll be on hand to clarify if need be.

Member of Standing

Post by 1664 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:56 pm

I still think this should only be relevant to the application.
As 6.2 is linked with 6.1 I assume.
Someone coming in 1990 for whatever reason has to mention that in 6.2?