ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WHAT DO I DO

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

freya2012
Newly Registered

WHAT DO I DO

Post by freya2012 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:04 am

dear members...

i have 2 kids from previous relationships before i got married. i had them before i received my ilr. i have no idea where one of the child's dad was so his name is not on the birth certificate. my other child's dad's name is on the birth certificate but i havent seen or heard from him in about 3 years. how do i feel the sections where it says fathers details for my kids. also do i have to look for them to give their consent for my kids to be naturalised? thank you.

vinseh

Post by vinseh » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:20 am

hi,
i don't think you'll have any problem, you can explain your circumstances in section 6.3, which says - 'If only one parent has signed please say why the other parent has not signed and provide supporting documents'

you can mention that you are a single parent and that you are not in touch with your child's father...

however, it's just my understanding, please wait for more senior members to comment :)

good luck!

freya2012
Newly Registered

Post by freya2012 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:08 pm

Thank you Vinseh .

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:34 pm

I think as you are were not married to the fathers of the kids then by law you are the only one with parental responsibility unless the fathers has specifically applied for parental responsibility. You should explain this on the form. I know the NCS staff insist on the other parent's consent for children of married parents (as by law both parents have parental responsilbility if they were married when the child was born) but in your case I think you are the only parent with parental responisibility so you should be ok.
'In everything give thanks'

Thandia

Post by Thandia » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:07 am

OFCHARITY wrote:I think as you are were not married to the fathers of the kids then by law you are the only one with parental responsibility unless the fathers has specifically applied for parental responsibility. You should explain this on the form. I know the NCS staff insist on the other parent's consent for children of married parents (as by law both parents have parental responsilbility if they were married when the child was born) but in your case I think you are the only parent with parental responisibility so you should be ok.

Actually by law, any parent with their name on the child's birth certificate acquires parental responsibility automatically. The parent only loses said PR if they are not on the child's birth certificate. This is the law regardless of whether or not the parents are married. Sorry OP, don't know the answer to your question though, just thought I'd clarify the issue on PR.

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:17 am

You are correct, however, If the child was registered before 1st of December 2003 then the father does not automatically have parental responsibility just by having his name on the birth certificate.
'In everything give thanks'