ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Received ILR, renounced alias - What next? Please advise.

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

qwertty
Newly Registered

Received ILR, renounced alias - What next? Please advise.

Post by qwertty » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:06 pm

A relative of mine had overstayed in the country for a lengthy period of time and during this period had used an alias.

Now that he has his ILR, he has (through official means) renounced his alias and has reverted back to using his original name. He's now in a position where he needs to contact all the necessary companies, authorities etc. to let them know of this change.

I'd be grateful if you could give advice as to how he goes about having his medical records updated (in particular) to reflect his change in name.

Also, what happens regarding his current NI number that is under his alias? Will he be keeping the same number or will he be receiving a new one? (he is in the process of arranging a meeting with the jobcentre regarding this, but any info prior to this happening would be appreciated).

Thank you.

giz

Post by giz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:15 am

As this is a discussion board for ILR immigration issues, I believe your friend has obtained his ILR by deception.......be careful and I advise you get legal advice.
I'm no legal eagle but that's just my personal opinion!
Giz :D

John

Post by John » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:34 am

qwertty, how did he get his ILR. And when making that application, did he disclose his alias?
John

qwertty
Newly Registered

Post by qwertty » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:36 am

He applied to the home office through his solicitor. He'd been in contact with the Home office and his local MP through postal letters (which always included his ref. code for his application). On most occasions such methods of contact did not require his solicitor as they were mainly requests for an update on his application (therefore the solicitor wasn't told about it - and couldn't produce fake responses). If his application wasn't real it would have been flagged up by his MP and/or the Home office. Trust me he hasn't been duped.

I'm guessing that your questions are based on me saying "authorities". By this I was referring to his job which requires a license. (For example, if you wish to drive you'd need to apply though the DVLA and likewise if you wanted to become a doctor or a teacher). In his case he'd need to reapply for a license under his real name as his current license is under his alias that he's renounced. Anyway he's getting in contact with his bosses regarding this but it still leaves him with sorting out other areas such as his medical records etc. I assume that a large number of people who have overstayed have also used an alias and may have had to go through a similar process. Is it normal for him to have to go through this?

troubled

Post by troubled » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:23 am

There are so many questions one can ask with regards to your relative`s situation.
(1) Is your relative got the same date of birth, nationality, place of birth etc in both names?
If not how can you reconcile the two records?

(2) Is your relative at point in time sworn affidavit of change of name? You said your relative has denounced the alias,by what means?

If I were you I will advise your relative to let sleeping dogs lie.You are trying to open a whole worm of problems for yourself.ILR has been received but don`t forget if it was acquired through deception it can be revoked. Advise your relative to start afresh with his new found name and forget about the past.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:39 am

By 'alias' you mean 'stolen identity'?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:59 am

qwertty wrote:
assume that a large number of people who have overstayed have also used an alias and may have had to go through a similar process. Is it normal for him to have to go through this?
That would be an incorrect assumption. A lot of overstayers came here legally and retained their own identity throughout their entire stay. They had no need to adopt another identity. As you need to show photographic identification for a driver's license, as Wanderer asked, is this "alias" perhaps a "stolen identity" therefore fraud?

Your friend was extremely lucky to get his ILR as he has committed a crime by adopting a false identity. To start contact organisations that he "duped" could mean prosecution. I suggest he obtains legal advice from his solicitor before taking further actions to revert back to his real identity.

Did he apply for his ILR under his real identity or false identity? :?

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:44 am

I've been thinking further about this scenario and no matter if it was a stolen identity or a name your friend simply fancied calling himself, he has broken the law. If receiving an ILR was a free "get out of jail" card then your assumption regarding overstayers would be correct. They would all be adopting false identities until they were eligible for their ILRs. I still don't understand how your friend obtained this as UKBA would have needed your friend's history throughout his entire stay. Most of this was under a false identity.

I urge you to tell your friend to gain legal advice on this or he could find himself in prison and his ILR revoked.

My reference to "photographic id" in my previous post ignore because I've realised this can be obtained with any false identity.

John

Post by John » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:46 pm

if it was a stolen identity or a name your friend simply fancied calling himself, he has broken the law.
I think, illegal .... yes and no! That is, if he used a stolen identity then yes that is illegal, but if "your friend simply fancied calling himself", no that is not a criminal offence.

That is, if (using letters A to D) if Alan Brown now wants to call himself Charles Davies, that is fine, and not against the law.

A number of people openly use two names at once. For example a woman doctor might retain her maiden name in the professional context, but use her husband's surname in every other context. Nothing illegal with that. And of course many authors write under an alias.

Which I think provides the answer to the problem here. The person concerned needs to sign a Change of Name Deed, or Deed Poll, and having done that, he should send a certified copy of that to relevant people.

We did exactly that for my step-daughter, who in accordance with her (Thai) birth certificate called her KK, but the Change of Name Deed (signed by her mother on her behalf) says she is now GL. Copy of the Deed sent, for example, to GP's practice who promptly did the necessary and soon thereafter she got a new NI Card in the GL name. Same at her school.
John

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:28 pm

John - I had so many questions to ask but I've just read up on "How to change your name" and I didn't realise it was so easy to do in this country. I thought if you wanted to change your name and use it on legal documentation and bank accounts etc you had to do it via a court (with the exception of a married or divorced woman). Didn't realise you could simply wake up one morning and decide to call yourself, say, Angelina Joile and a way you go. If I knew it was that easy I would done just that ages ago :wink:

You've enlightened me. That's my "learnt something new" for today :)

John

Post by John » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:06 pm

kiwigirl25, I don't think you will get away with calling yourself Angelina Joile! :roll:

But Gordon Brown is probably OK to change his name to ..... Gordon Bigoted Woman Brown .... but then he might not want to do that! :oops:
John