ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mum wants to visit, can she be refused since I'm British?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

GeoUK

Mum wants to visit, can she be refused since I'm British?

Post by GeoUK » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi all.

I hold a British nationality and my mum, is Brazilian and wants to come and visit me for a few months.
Brazilian nationals currently don't require a tourist visa, as they can get it on customs when they arrive in the UK.
My question is:
Can my mum be refused a tourist visa, even though I'm a British national?

Thanks

G

Charimito
Newly Registered

Post by Charimito » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:01 pm

I doubt they would refuse a tourist visa. My parents come to visit all the time and never have a problem (and I'm only on a student visa). I'm Mexican, so it's the same case as Brazil

stmellon

Post by stmellon » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:11 pm

As far as I am aware, anybody can be refused a visa, but I agree it would be unlikely that she would be. From watching the immigration / airport shows on TV I would suggest that your mother makes sure that she knows your address and make sure that she has access to some cash (e.g. an international debit card that would work in the UK, as well as at least a bit of cash in her purse). A few of those refused on these TV shows are visitors (not family visitors though) who turn up with £60 in their pockets and claim they will stay with friends, while the immigration officers mutter "£60 won't last three months"!

UKBAbble

Re: Mum wants to visit, can she be refused since I'm British

Post by UKBAbble » Sat May 01, 2010 8:43 pm

GeoUK wrote:Hi all.

My question is:

Thanks

G

Your nationality is totally irrelevant. You have no 'right' to have family members visit you.

UKBAbble

Re: Mum wants to visit, can she be refused since I'm British

Post by UKBAbble » Sat May 01, 2010 9:09 pm

Anjam23 wrote:
UKBAbble wrote:
GeoUK wrote:Hi all.

My question is:

Thanks

G

Your nationality is totally irrelevant. You have no 'right' to have family members visit you.
hmmmmm :shock:
You have a query? My post is correct.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Sat May 01, 2010 9:44 pm

It's quite simple. He asked if being British meant his mother couldn't be refused entry. The answer is she can ergo his nationality is irrelevant.

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Post by HRY2005 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:52 pm

UKBAbble wrote:It's quite simple. He asked if being British meant his mother couldn't be refused entry. The answer is she can ergo his nationality is irrelevant.
Yes, nationality is totally irrelevant, as long as his mum satisfies the immigration rules, she would be allowed to visit his son