ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passports for my children living abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

srrooms
Newly Registered

British Passports for my children living abroad

Post by srrooms » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:08 am

Hi folks,

I am hoping to move to UK with my family next year. I am British and my wife is Cambodian and we have 3 children. I presume it would be much easier to get my wife a settlement visa if my children already have British Passports? I presume my children would get British Citizenship automatically as they are my children and are registered at the British Embassy here?

So is getting British Passports for my children pretty straight forward? How long does it take?

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Sat May 01, 2010 2:42 pm

I think the best option for you is to inquire with your local British embassy or consulate.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Sun May 02, 2010 12:10 am

If your were a British Citizen when your children were born and you were married to your wife when kids were born then all of them will get british passport. Just simply apply for British passports from the British embassy/high commission. I presume you are British by birth. Correct me if I am wrong.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun May 02, 2010 4:07 am

mrlookforward wrote:If your were a British Citizen when your children were born and you were married to your wife when kids were born then all of them will get british passport. Just simply apply for British passports from the British embassy/high commission. I presume you are British by birth. Correct me if I am wrong.
Consider yourself corrected!

1. Children are only British if he is a British citizen "otherwise than by descent".

2. Marriage not relevant for children born on or after 1 July 2006. Children born before then can be registered British before age 18.

3. Consular birth certificates are near-essential ... foolish to rely on British passport alone as proof of citizenship. It appears from post #1 that this has already been done.