ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When can I return my passport to the Home Office?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jumpingzombie

When can I return my passport to the Home Office?

Post by jumpingzombie » Tue May 04, 2010 9:13 pm

Hello,everyone.
Another problem has come up, and I'd like to have some helps...

I originaly applied for a resident card as a joint application that my EEA2 and my husbands' EEA1 were enclosed on the 17th of Feb 2010, but I received my passport back on the 21st March, for an emergency trip between 31/3-6/4. I'm on the EEA FP that's going to be expired on the 17 May.

I received COA in March, and another letter describing 'Please do not return your Passport to the Home Office until it has been requested by a caseworker.' when I got my passport back. More than a month has past since the UKBA sent it back to me, but I haven't heard anything from the UKBA nor a caseworker. I'm really worried, thinking if the process for my resident card has been going properly, because I've still kept my passport in my hand. I called the UKBA and asked when I'd send it back to them, but what they said is 'just wait for a contact' :(

If there's anybody who has ever returned your passport back from UKBA for a emargency trip while the process for your EEA2 application is under consideration, I'd like to ask you when the UKBA/a caseworker requested you to return your passport to the Home Office.

I'm looking forward to hearing your advices/opinions.

msmoby_ru

Post by msmoby_ru » Wed May 05, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi

We applied 7th Nov 09 - with a request for our passports to be returned, for a trip - pre paid special del encl - but not used - passports came back 2nd class recorded -within three weeks with the COA

It wasn't unit early March that we got a letter asking for the passports back - with proof that we were resident, still.

Received them ( with the 5yr residency ) via another pre-encl special delivery today - 5/5/10 -one day before the six months was up !!

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Thu May 06, 2010 10:17 am

Thank you for telling me your experience!
We applied 7th Nov 09 - with a request for our passports to be returned, for a trip - pre paid special del encl - but not used - passports came back 2nd class recorded -within three weeks with the COA
My passport was sent in a 2nd class recorded envelope as well when I received it back.
It wasn't unit early March that we got a letter asking for the passports back - with proof that we were resident, still.
So, your passport was returned to you around the end of November-begining of December '09, but you heard a request to return your passport to the Home Office in early March 2010? If so, it took about 3months before you heared from them...
It seems it takes sometime before I'm supposed to hear from the UKBA to return my passport to them :? I got my passport back in late March, so I may receive a request to return it to the Home Office sometime in June, according to your experience... :?

babie_meg

Post by babie_meg » Sun May 16, 2010 9:19 am

msmoby_ru wrote:Hi

Received them ( with the 5yr residency ) via another pre-encl special delivery today - 5/5/10 -one day before the six months was up !!
Hi I'm in a similar situation at the moment. I sent my EEA2 application on 27 April and now need our passports back for a trip so I requested them to be returned on 10 May but I haven't received my COA yet. Is it ok to ask for the passports back before receiving the COA? Did you request yours before receiving your COA and when you called to request them back was your file already created and that they had your info in their database? Because I was told my file had not been created yet (hence no COA has been sent out) and so they would need to go into the 'post office' to find the passports.... :( were you provided a Royal Mail tracking number by HO to track your passport delivery?

msmoby_ru

Post by msmoby_ru » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:57 am

We asked for our passports back *with* the application - enclosed a pre-paid special delivery envelope and got them back in a 2nd class recorded delivery envelope :(

COA came separately - hope that helps

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:57 am

In a nutshell, UKBA will ask for the return of passports nearing the time when you application is to be actually considered and decided. They dont need your passports whilst the applications are just in a que. So there is no need to panic about this issue.

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:24 am

Thank you for answering and talking about this topic!

It's been in June already,but I haven't heard from the UKBA, so my passport has still been in my hand with an expired EEA FP.

But, as mrlookforward said above,the UKBA isn't in a hurry to get my passport back while my application is in a queue, that's what I guess and hope as well.So, I just need to be patient more....

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

UKBA is legally required to process the application within 6 months of your submitting the application.

sanu84

Post by sanu84 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:01 pm

msmoby_ru wrote:Hi

Hi msmoby_ru,

can youtell me how long did it take from the moment you sent back your passport and received your passport and RC on it?

The HO asked me to return the passport back now, and i have to travel in 3 weeks. Don't know if i will get my passport and RC on time for my trip.

Thanks in advance.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:24 pm

sanu84 wrote:The HO asked me to return the passport back now, and i have to travel in 3 weeks. Don't know if i will get my passport and RC on time for my trip.
It's a bit of a gamble. Experienced timelines of some other individual may not hold true for you.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:22 pm

I experienced the same - You include a SD prepaid envelope for the return of your passport but, for whatever reason, the UKBA use 2nd class 'unsecured' delivery!

sanu84

Post by sanu84 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:25 pm

I got a call today from the caseworker. He told me that if he receives my passport within next week, I will get it back before my trip for sure.
So, I sent my passport today. Let see what will happen.

brendonuc
Newly Registered

jumpingzombie please tell us what happened!

Post by brendonuc » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:35 am

jumpingzombie, i am in a similar situation that you were in, please inform us as to whether they requested the passport back and tell us the timeline of your process.. thanks

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:15 am

It's been a while everyone,and I'm sorry I haven't updated to tell what happened in my case eventualy.

>>brendonuc

The UKBA had never asked me to send my passport back to them after all, and they just issued a freestanding "immigration status document" to me in July last year, but I eventually received it in August by post, though.

A letter was enclosed in an envelope that the freestanding document was in, writing ;

"I am sorry for the very long delay in considering your application for a residence card and am pleased to inform you that this has now been approved. As the passports submitted with the application have been returned I have arranged for the residence card to be issued in the form of a freestanding document. Please ensure that you keep this document safe and ensure that you keep it with your passport when you travel"

I applied for the residence card in the middle of February in 2010, and eventually received it in August, so it took almost for 6months.