ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa - interview soon, need help.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cm87
Newly Registered

Spouse visa - interview soon, need help.

Post by cm87 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:43 am

Hi,

My husband has his spouse visa interview on thursday. I am Irish but have lived in the UK all my life. My husband is from the US.

We are a bit confused on what do do for one point - he has been accepted into Edinburgh University to do his masters. This is an hour from me. He will be living with me in my parents house till September till he starts and then will move into student accommodation beside the University.

Is this grounds for refusal since we won't be living together permanently? We will be together every weekend. I believe we satisfy all other criteria, I am a student but also work and make minimum £500 p/m, my parents house (which they own, mortgage paid off) has enough rooms for us, we have emails and photos and we have travelled all over the world and have lots of evidence of this to prove our marriage is real. We have letters of support from our parents, my employer and he has proof of a loan from his parents for tuition fees and living costs.

My suggestion was to just say he would be living with me at the interview, would this pose a problem if he didn't mention he intended to move a few months after he arrived here? I'm guessing it would be deception?

I need help quick as his interview is on thursday. Thanks everyone. :D

cm87
Newly Registered

Post by cm87 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Anyone?

Our alternative is to get a flat together in the centre of dundee and have him commute.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue May 11, 2010 3:22 pm

Apply under EEA rules are u r Irish, free!

Google and search here for 'treaty rights'
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

cm87
Newly Registered

Post by cm87 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:26 pm

The visa is not for me, it is for my husband. I already have ILR as I have lived here all my life with my parents, who also have ILR.

My husband is an American citizen.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue May 11, 2010 3:27 pm

Spouses or civil partners of persons present and settled in the United Kingdom or being admitted on the same occasion for settlement

Requirements for leave to enter the United Kingdom with a view to settlement as the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or being admitted on the same occasion for settlement

281. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom with a view to settlement as the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement are that:

(i) (a) the applicant is married to or the civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement; or

__(b)(i) the applicant is married to or the civil partner of a person who has a right of abode in the United Kingdom or indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom and is on the same occasion seeking admission to the United Kingdom for the purposes of settlement and the parties were married or formed a civil partnership at least 4 years ago, since which time they have been living together outside the United Kingdom; and

__(b)(ii) the applicant has sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom, unless he is under the age of 18 or aged 65 or over at the time he makes his application; and

(ii) the parties to the marriage or civil partnership have met; and

(iii) each of the parties intends to live permanently with the other as his or her spouse or civil partner and the marriage or civil partnership is subsisting; and

(iv) there will be adequate accommodation for the parties and any dependants without recourse to public funds in accommodation which they own or occupy exclusively; and

(v) the parties will be able to maintain themselves and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds; and

(vi) the applicant holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity.
The above are the essential requirements that you have to meet in order for your spouse to be granted the neccessary visa. Why are you worried about one specific point, which you haven't been interviewed about or asked questions. What makes you think they will ask this particular question at this interview.

If you are unlucky to be invited for an interview , it will be because the ECO is not convinced on any one of the above points and that is why he wants a face to face chat.

cm87
Newly Registered

Post by cm87 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:43 pm

batleykhan wrote:
Spouses or civil partners of persons present and settled in the United Kingdom or being admitted on the same occasion for settlement

Requirements for leave to enter the United Kingdom with a view to settlement as the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or being admitted on the same occasion for settlement

281. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom with a view to settlement as the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement are that:

(i) (a) the applicant is married to or the civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement; or

__(b)(i) the applicant is married to or the civil partner of a person who has a right of abode in the United Kingdom or indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom and is on the same occasion seeking admission to the United Kingdom for the purposes of settlement and the parties were married or formed a civil partnership at least 4 years ago, since which time they have been living together outside the United Kingdom; and

__(b)(ii) the applicant has sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom, unless he is under the age of 18 or aged 65 or over at the time he makes his application; and

(ii) the parties to the marriage or civil partnership have met; and

(iii) each of the parties intends to live permanently with the other as his or her spouse or civil partner and the marriage or civil partnership is subsisting; and

(iv) there will be adequate accommodation for the parties and any dependants without recourse to public funds in accommodation which they own or occupy exclusively; and

(v) the parties will be able to maintain themselves and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds; and

(vi) the applicant holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity.
The above are the essential requirements that you have to meet in order for your spouse to be granted the neccessary visa. Why are you worried about one specific point, which you haven't been interviewed about or asked questions. What makes you think they will ask this particular question at this interview.

If you are unlucky to be invited for an interview , it will be because the ECO is not convinced on any one of the above points and that is why he wants a face to face chat.

He filled in his application online and it automatically asked him to choose a time for an interview. He only filled it in on Sunday and he chose Thursday for his interview because he already has the day off work.

The reason I am asking about this is because it is the only point I am worried we will not satisfy. The rest I am confident about. We are worried about this point because it states that he must be coming to the UK to live permanently as husband and wife.

Just to clarify, he will be living with me just outside Dundee (which is the requirement) but since he has recently been accepted to do his masters in Edinburgh (an hour away from the city) we are unsure how this will affect the accomodation requirement.
Our three options are :
- for him to stay with me and commute (45 min bus then 1 hour train)
- for us to get a flat together in dundee city (1 hour train)
- for him to live in student accommodation during the week

He was initially going to stay in student accomm, not we are not so sure if he can do this, which is what my question was. Would this be something that could cause the visa to be refused?

Thanks for your help.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:41 pm

You are living permanently together as husband and wife, it's just your husband will be spending some nights away from you because of his studies.

If asked surely his answer will be that his permanent home will be with you at your parents house, but he plans to rent student accomodation to use when he cannot get back there.

cm87
Newly Registered

Post by cm87 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:58 pm

djb123 wrote:You are living permanently together as husband and wife, it's just your husband will be spending some nights away from you because of his studies.

If asked surely his answer will be that his permanent home will be with you at your parents house, but he plans to rent student accomodation to use when he cannot get back there.
Thanks. I never thought about it that way, I just assumed they might not like him living somewhere else and then deport him or something. I have been doing as much research as I can into everything but I just could't find anything on this specific situation. Thanks again.

John

Post by John » Tue May 11, 2010 7:30 pm

cm87, lots of people have a job that means lots of travelling, and lots of nights spent in hotels away from home. None of that means they are not living with their spouse. There is no compulsion for the couple to spend every night under the same roof.

So your husband being a student and living apart from you during the week, that does not distract from the fact that the two of you will be living together as a married couple.
Last edited by John on Tue May 11, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

cm87
Newly Registered

Post by cm87 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks - that all makes sense now. The visa process is so complicated, I just want to make sure we do everything correctly and have as little chance for refusal as possible.

Quick question, is it common for them to refuse spouse visas, or would we be in with a good chance since we seem to have everything covered? And if it is refused, do we simply try to amend that one factor then appeal? What are the chances of this happening?

John

Post by John » Tue May 11, 2010 8:18 pm

The refusal rate for spouse visas varies considerably around the world. Your husband is applying in the US? There the refusal rate is low, about 1% or 2%.
John