ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

on visit visa in uk - can i apply for schengen?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

peacherrybloss
Newly Registered

on visit visa in uk - can i apply for schengen?

Post by peacherrybloss » Sun May 16, 2010 1:58 pm

hi,

if i am on a uk visit visa, can i apply for a schengen visa while in the uk?

thank you.

peacherrybloss
Newly Registered

Post by peacherrybloss » Sun May 16, 2010 2:34 pm

i have just read about Directive 2004/38/EC

Can i use this to travel with my mother who is a british citizen? i'm a student over 18

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun May 16, 2010 2:50 pm

peacherrybloss wrote:i have just read about Directive 2004/38/EC

Can i use this to travel with my mother who is a british citizen? i'm a student over 18
No.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

djb123
Member of Standing

Re: on visit visa in uk - can i apply for schengen?

Post by djb123 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:53 pm

peacherrybloss wrote:hi,

if i am on a uk visit visa, can i apply for a schengen visa while in the uk?

thank you.
i believe you can apply, though you stand more chance of being granted the visa if you apply from the country where you are resident.

peacherrybloss
Newly Registered

Post by peacherrybloss » Sun May 16, 2010 3:06 pm

Thank you for your responses.

Hi Wanderer, after reading about the directive I understood it to mean that non EU nationals can travel with their EU family members around EU countries. From your response I have obviously misunderstood. To whom is the directive applicable to then..married partners only?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sun May 16, 2010 3:38 pm

To apply for a Schengen visa you may have to be resident in the UK. Check with the respective embassy web page.

The Directive also applies to direct descendants under the age of 21 or who are dependants (Article 2(c)). But to benefit from visa free travel you would need a residence card (for which you probably would not qualify). Travelling without one (see Article 5(4)) may be quite a risky "adventure".

peacherrybloss
Newly Registered

Post by peacherrybloss » Sun May 16, 2010 3:54 pm

Understood. Thank you.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun May 16, 2010 5:59 pm

peacherrybloss wrote:Thank you for your responses.

Hi Wanderer, after reading about the directive I understood it to mean that non EU nationals can travel with their EU family members around EU countries. From your response I have obviously misunderstood. To whom is the directive applicable to then..married partners only?
Applies to EU citizens exercising a treaty right by living/working/studying in another EU state other than their own, or is a dual national with two EU citizenships.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon May 17, 2010 11:45 am

Hang on lads..

If peacherrybloss is a family member (§ 2(2) of the Directive) of a UK national and wishes to accompany that UK national to travel to a another Member State, § 5(2) of the Directive states that the Member State must issue a visa to peacherrybloss free of charge, as soon as possible and on the basis of an accelerated procedure.

This is not dependent on peacherrybloss being lawfully resident in the UK.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: on visit visa in uk - can i apply for schengen?

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue May 18, 2010 2:35 pm

peacherrybloss wrote:if i am on a uk visit visa, can i apply for a schengen visa while in the uk?
You need to say a little more about yourself.

How old are you? Are you presently dependent on your parent? Will you be traveling with your UK citizen parent?

And I am curious: is your parent a naturalized citizen? If not, then you might also be British...

peacherrybloss
Newly Registered

Post by peacherrybloss » Wed May 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Your questions answered:

I am 22.
I am dependent on my parent.
I will be travelling with my UK citizen parent.
My parent is a naturalised citizen.

thank you.

peacherrybloss
Newly Registered

Post by peacherrybloss » Wed May 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Ben wrote:Hang on lads..

If peacherrybloss is a family member (§ 2(2) of the Directive) of a UK national and wishes to accompany that UK national to travel to a another Member State, § 5(2) of the Directive states that the Member State must issue a visa to peacherrybloss free of charge, as soon as possible and on the basis of an accelerated procedure.

Hi Ben,

How would I apply for a visa on an accelerated basis. Are the embassies aware of this or would I need to show them where you've quoted this info from.

thank you.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:20 pm

peacherrybloss wrote:
Ben wrote:Hang on lads..

Hi Ben,

How would I apply for a visa on an accelerated basis. Are the embassies aware of this or would I need to show them where you've quoted this info from.

thank you.
I've just checked the websites of a few (german, french, dutch, polish) embassies in the UK, and they all now seem to state that you need a valid Residence Permit for the UK to apply there. I'm sure this never used to be the case.

To apply as a family member of a EU citizen you would need to prove their status (probably original passport which may be a problem if you can't apply from the UK), and your relationship to them which because of your age I guess you would need to provide proof of the financial dependancy as well as your birth certificate.

To apply for a visa on the basis of an accelerated procedure you just need to state/prove you are a family member of an EU citizen when applying. But in our dealings with a couple of the embassies in the UK they didn't exactly process my wife's applications that quickly or easily - for example it is often difficult to arrange appointments with some of the embassies.

peacherrybloss
Newly Registered

Post by peacherrybloss » Wed May 19, 2010 7:36 pm

Thank you djb123.

I've checked as well, from my findings belgium and the netherlands let you apply from the uk with a uk visit visa.

http://www.vfs-be-uk.com/faqs.aspx#8a
http://nl.vfsglobal.co.uk/faqs.aspx#10

would have been ideal if france and italy accepted as well.