ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help with question 2.1

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

John_g
Newly Registered

Help with question 2.1

Post by John_g » Tue May 18, 2010 9:18 pm

I'm in the process of filling out form AN and I'm a little stuck by question 2.1. - Date and place of first arrival in the United Kingdom.
I originally came to the UK as a working holiday maker and was subsequently sponsored and moved to a work permit. As such my passport was stamped with the work permit by the work permits uk office in Sheffield. I never left the country during the process.

My question is what do I fill in on the form? Do I put Sheffield and the date of issue?

Thanks for you Help.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue May 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Date and place (landing airport / seaport) when you arrived in UK on WHM visa (Section 2.1, Page 16, Guide AN).

regards

John_g
Newly Registered

Post by John_g » Wed May 19, 2010 8:14 am

Yes, but the wording is: "Enter the day you first arrived with a view to staying in the UK on a long-term basis". WHM visa wasn't a long term visa and at the time I arrived I wasn't intending to stay longer than the 2 year term. Nor was I eligible to stay long term and work on that visa. I thought they are asking about when I started on the work permit which I was eligiable for ILR at the end of its term.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed May 19, 2010 2:20 pm

I am in the same boat, and confused what date to put when I apply for naturalisation. When I arrived in UK, it was a study visit, and I had no intention of staying in UK long term. But then the ball started rolling, one thing after another. After nearly 11 years I was granted ILR. So I do not know what date to put there. But then, in citizenship matters, there wont be any case law to clarify as to what can be regarded as "when you arrived in UK to live long term and settle". So if I do not get a very clear answer from a learned member, I will just put the date of my first arrival in UK. After all, UKBA has all my immigration history at the click of a button.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 19, 2010 2:26 pm

Why is WHM (2 yr.) not considered long-term visa, while a WP visa (5 yr.) is? Any visa with more than 6 months validity (other than multiple year visit visa), IMHO, are long-term visas.

The form doesn't ask for when you arrived in UK on a visa that leads to settlement.

regards

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed May 19, 2010 3:06 pm

It asks "Enter the day you first arrived with a view to staying in the UK on a long-term basis"

So what date should be mentioned by a person, who entered on a visit visa, had no intention to settle in UK for short term or long term, and then after years ended up with an ILR ?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 19, 2010 3:17 pm

mrlookforward wrote:It asks "Enter the day you first arrived with a view to staying in the UK on a long-term basis"

So what date should be mentioned by a person, who entered on a visit visa, had no intention to settle in UK for short term or long term, and then after years ended up with an ILR ?
I guess you'll have to leave it blank. :wink:

AIUI, your route to ILR was complicated, so unable to say for sure.

regards

krimith

Re: Help with question 2.1

Post by krimith » Wed May 19, 2010 4:29 pm

John_g wrote:I'm in the process of filling out form AN and I'm a little stuck by question 2.1. - Date and place of first arrival in the United Kingdom.
I originally came to the UK as a working holiday maker and was subsequently sponsored and moved to a work permit. As such my passport was stamped with the work permit by the work permits uk office in Sheffield. I never left the country during the process.

My question is what do I fill in on the form? Do I put Sheffield and the date of issue?

Thanks for you Help.
john_g, when u came in uk first time that date and which airport thats u have to write no need which visa u came and go or not go but when first time landing in uk that date and where u land simple u making confusion yourself bec one of my friend came in 25thmarch 2000 and then she overstay now she is british citizen she write same date when she firsttime arrive and she got ilr dec 2008 in humanright app,so may be u understand what u have to write ok

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed May 19, 2010 5:57 pm

Thank you krimith. You solved our problem. You gave an example of something that has worked. So I am going to put the date of my first arrival, end of story. John_g might want to do the same. :D

krimith

Post by krimith » Wed May 19, 2010 6:18 pm

mrlookforward wrote:Thank you krimith. You solved our problem. You gave an example of something that has worked. So I am going to put the date of my first arrival, end of story. John_g might want to do the same. :D
most welcome,and good luck in future

Thetruthprevials

Post by Thetruthprevials » Thu May 20, 2010 9:58 am

mrlookforward wrote:I am in the same boat, and confused what date to put when I apply for naturalisation. When I arrived in UK, it was a study visit, and I had no intention of staying in UK long term. But then the ball started rolling, one thing after another. After nearly 11 years I was granted ILR. So I do not know what date to put there. But then, in citizenship matters, there wont be any case law to clarify as to what can be regarded as "when you arrived in UK to live long term and settle". So if I do not get a very clear answer from a learned member, I will just put the date of my first arrival in UK. After all, UKBA has all my immigration history at the click of a button.
I thought you knew all the answers