ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cap on Immigration....

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

frrana

Cap on Immigration....

Post by frrana » Tue May 18, 2010 9:50 pm

Hello Everyone

I applied for Tier 1 (General) On 28th April and got my visa stamped on 11th May.

Now I have two question in mind:

1). Can UK government change immigration laws and I am excluded for extension in future i.e. raise the bar for income etc. OR The critieria now will be applicable in 2 years time for my extension?

2) Conservatives are planning cap on immigration. Is it new applicatns or applicants asking for extensions as well ?

Any rational thought would be helpful. Just to ease my concerns..

Thanks for this forum for my application.

Faisal Rana

gprao2010

Hi

Post by gprao2010 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:40 am

From which center did you apply for the visa ?

ArgieBee
Ireland

Post by ArgieBee » Wed May 19, 2010 9:12 am

The Conservatives cannot achieve their targets on net immigration by just limiting new applicants for tier 1 and tier 2 (especially if tier 2 ict is excluded). So it seems likely that they will either target extensions or make make some cosmetic changes and hope that satisfies their anti-immigration supporters.

I can't imagine it would look good to the public if they start chucking out NHS doctors and nurses so targeting extensions seems unlikely. But who knows.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:48 am

1) They can change the rules though in the past some rules changes have been fought successfully. Not sure if the UK government leaves itself open nowadays to allow rules changes to be challenged.

Bear in mind that even if the rules are not changed, it might be that you do not meet the requirements (income, etc).

2) No one knows for certain how the cap will be implemented. A cap might be difficult to impose on extensions, but tweaking the rules to reduce the number of extensions (but keeping the best or most needed people) would be fairly easy. That is just my thoughts, there are other threads on here where there is other speculation about what might happen.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Wed May 19, 2010 12:48 pm

djb123 wrote:1) They can change the rules though in the past some rules changes have been fought successfully. Not sure if the UK government leaves itself open nowadays to allow rules changes to be challenged.

Bear in mind that even if the rules are not changed, it might be that you do not meet the requirements (income, etc).

2) No one knows for certain how the cap will be implemented. A cap might be difficult to impose on extensions, but tweaking the rules to reduce the number of extensions (but keeping the best or most needed people) would be fairly easy. That is just my thoughts, there are other threads on here where there is other speculation about what might happen.
i expect a cap of 40,000 immigrant -new application only , at present HO is proceesing all application in 4 weeks received from world wide centres

like Australia 100000
Canada 200000
UK 40000

BUT They WILL not change any terms of already in UK

frrana

Re: Hi

Post by frrana » Wed May 19, 2010 11:14 pm

gprao2010 wrote:From which center did you apply for the visa ?
I applied in UK. I think it is Durham Tier 1 center.

frrana

Post by frrana » Wed May 19, 2010 11:15 pm

All we can say is Wait and see

ArgieBee wrote:The Conservatives cannot achieve their targets on net immigration by just limiting new applicants for tier 1 and tier 2 (especially if tier 2 ict is excluded). So it seems likely that they will either target extensions or make make some cosmetic changes and hope that satisfies their anti-immigration supporters.

I can't imagine it would look good to the public if they start chucking out NHS doctors and nurses so targeting extensions seems unlikely. But who knows.

ArgieBee
Ireland

Post by ArgieBee » Thu May 20, 2010 7:43 am

Exactly, I doubt even Damian Green knows yet, but to cut net immigration below 1,00,000 he needs to cut 90,000.

There were about 1,00,000 new tier 1 and tier 2 plus dependents in 2009. If you exclude tier 2 ict then it is probably 60,000.

These are rough numbers but you can see that the cap could be very severe.[/img]

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 20, 2010 11:37 am

Please speculate about political strategy here. This forum is meant for Tier 1 (General) immigration matters.

regards