ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

self employed and ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sudhirdige

self employed and ILR

Post by sudhirdige » Fri May 21, 2010 11:33 pm

Hi,

I have been on tier-1 visa for past 1 year i have been on 2years for hsmp before that and 2 year wp.
I have following questions
1. as I am self employed do I need a letter from my employer to prove I am employed at his place? I have a letter of contract will that be sufficient?
2.i have accounts for past 3years prepared by my accountants will thos be sufficient or I will need a seprate letter from my accountant certifying my gross and net earnings?

I would be grateful if someone can throw some light on above queries..
thanks you all for your help in advance
sudhir

mrlookforward
BANNED

Re: self employed and ILR

Post by mrlookforward » Sat May 22, 2010 11:16 pm

sudhirdige wrote:Hi,

I have been on tier-1 visa for past 1 year i have been on 2years for hsmp before that and 2 year wp.
I have following questions
1. as I am self employed do I need a letter from my employer to prove I am employed at his place? I have a letter of contract will that be sufficient?
You are contradicting yourself. You say you are self employed and then you are asking if you need a letter from your employer. So... are you employed or are you self employed?

2.i have accounts for past 3years prepared by my accountants will thos be sufficient or I will need a seprate letter from my accountant certifying my gross and net earnings?
Have you got past 3 years tax returns?

I would be grateful if someone can throw some light on above queries..
thanks you all for your help in advance
sudhir

sudhirdige

Post by sudhirdige » Sun May 23, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks for your reply..
You are contradicting yourself. You say you are self employed and then you are asking if you need a letter from your employer. So... are you employed or are you self employed?
I am self employed
1.Thats what I am asking do I need a letter from the person for whom I work a letter saying that I work there and get paid so much money every month
2.Yes I have got tax returns for last 3 years
2005-06,2006-07-p60
2007-08,2008-09,2009-2010 profit ans loss accounts prepared by accountant and also self assessment tax return statements from HMRC stating how much tax I have paid over last 3 years.

I am attending PEO Croydon this thursday.Will above documents along with bank statements for last 12 months be sufficient to prove my economic activity in the UK.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Sun May 23, 2010 1:20 pm

sudhirdige wrote:Thanks for your reply..
I am self employed
1.Thats what I am asking do I need a letter from the person for whom I work a letter saying that I work there and get paid so much money every month
2.Yes I have got tax returns for last 3 years
2005-06,2006-07-p60
2007-08,2008-09,2009-2010 profit ans loss accounts prepared by accountant and also self assessment tax return statements from HMRC stating how much tax I have paid over last 3 years.

I am attending PEO Croydon this thursday.Will above documents along with bank statements for last 12 months be sufficient to prove my economic activity in the UK.
I dont see why everything you have mentioned wont be enough. Dont think that a letter from someone you get work from would be necessary. You have P60s for first two years, then self assesment returns for another 2 years, and for the year 2009-10 you have papers from your accountant and last 12 months bank statement. This should be more than enough to prove you are financially active. Dont see a point bringing in a letter from someone when you do have other official documents as proof. Its always a good idea to provide HO with clear cut evidence, and not give any un-necessary documents.

sudhirdige

Post by sudhirdige » Fri May 28, 2010 6:51 pm

Hi Mr Lookforward,

Thanks for your help got my ILR @Croydon yesterday .was a smooth sailing.
thanks again..

sonya24

Post by sonya24 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:39 pm

hi sudhirdige congrats on getting the ilr can you please let me know what documents did you summit for ilr application ill be applying for ilr as self employed aswell so just wanted to make sure about the documents and procedure.thanks

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Fri May 28, 2010 10:09 pm

sudhirdige wrote:Hi Mr Lookforward,

Thanks for your help got my ILR @Croydon yesterday .was a smooth sailing.
thanks again..
Great, well done. Just providing what they need is the best way.
Congratulations. I am sure you feel like a free man now, lol. :D

sudhirdige

@sonya

Post by sudhirdige » Mon May 31, 2010 11:10 am

Hi The procedure as follows:
1.book appt online or over telephone
2.I was on WP for 1st two years then moved to HSMP w/o JR- 2 years and then Tier 1 for last year
documents submitted
1.p60 for 2005,2006
2.accounts for2007, 2008,2009
3.SA statements for HMRC proof of tax payed as self employed
4.hsmp aprroval letter and FLR grant letter
5.tier 1 approval letter
6.bank statements for last 12 months
7.passport with visa on it

above are main documents..

I am a sole trader don't have a limited company..for ltd company it is slightly different i think..
the procedure ta the centre is fairly straight forward..just take all the documents and ILR form completed..follow their instructions..
I hope above helps
sudhir

ITGraduate
Member of Standing

please help

Post by ITGraduate » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi Sudhirdige,

I am self employed since last year , I have registered and I pay NI and file my tax for the first time this year, I work for an US company, I invoice them every month and they pay me. so will this become as issue for me when I apply for ILR?

Please help

Thanks

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:58 am

why should it create problem? Just because you are paranoid?

ITGraduate
Member of Standing

Post by ITGraduate » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi,

I understand I being paranoid, I appreciate your response.

The reason I'm worried is because I work for an US company who even dont have a office here in UK. They are also not registered in UK.Also I have travelled more than 250 days outside UK for business ( I can get a letter from my US company for whom I work as in independent consultant ) . None of my travel was more than 15 days at a stretch.These two reasons make me worried and concerned, Please advise?

Thanks.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:28 pm

With due respect and for the sake that you get the message and others in your situation get the message, you are asking something totally silly.
Why would you go and submit a letter from the US company you sell your services for? Why?
You are a self employed person selling your services or products. You are paying your UK taxes. Now why does it matter where you sell your services or products? If for example you are selling table lamps online, you could get orders from anywhere. Even from greenland. Does it matter where your customers are, does it? If there was something wrong then all the UK companies selling products or services overseas are all illegal.
As long as you are discharging you tax and other liabilities properly in UK it doesn't matter if your customer is Uncle Sam in US or Nathu Singh in India.

ITGraduate
Member of Standing

Post by ITGraduate » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:38 pm

Hi There,

Many Thanks for talking straight and making my mind clear, it really helps.I'll also be able to help people now with same issues and help them understand

Secondly, what about my 250 days on travel outside UK, given it shouldn't matter who I work for as per your advise, How can I prove home office I was on business travel fro 250 days for my employer? In this case I have to mention I worked for a american company by producing a letter from my company.

I sincerely apologise if this question makes no sense!!!

Please advise

Thanks

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Sorry you lost me there.
Have you stayed outside UK for more than 250 days in past 5 years?

ITGraduate
Member of Standing

Post by ITGraduate » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi mrlookforward,

Thats correct. I have been staying outside Uk for 250 days ( all these were business trips and none of the trip was more than 30 days at a stretch ). So If I dont let homeoffice know I worked for a US company and provide them letter, how can I prove these 250 days were for business related purposes

Please help

Thanks,

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:11 am

Have you checked the guidance? The absense allowed in 5 years preceeding application is 450 days. As far as I understand, 250 are 200 less than 450 days. I suggest that you have a through read of UKBA website before asking totally silly questions. And if you really want to eat peoples brains then pay some money to an immigration advisor/solicitor and eat his brain. :P

ITGraduate
Member of Standing

Post by ITGraduate » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:16 am

sir, please could you send me the link of the guidance, please?

I really cant find where it says 450 days in fine

Please help

Thanks

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:20 am

First can you please tell, where did you read that you have to explain 250 days absense?

ITGraduate
Member of Standing

Post by ITGraduate » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:25 am

As per my understanding , if I go over 180 days, I have to prove it was because of my business visits outside UK. I personally believe if I dont prove the case worker , it may complicate my case.

To prove I exceeded 180 days because of business visits,I was told by some experts like you to produce a letter from my company to whom I sell my services. I am a sole trader registered as self employed.Hence I am asking you if I need to produce a letter from my employer?

I am so sorry If I am repeating.I just want to set things right now before its too late

Thanks,

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:25 am

And why should I do the hard work, locate the information and provide you a link. The information available to me is available to anyone in the world with internet access. Do some leg work and find the information. When I can find this information on UKBA website in less than 10 seconds, I am sure you can too.

ITGraduate
Member of Standing

Post by ITGraduate » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:29 am

well thats your assumption that I am not willing to do the hard work. If I know it just takes 10 secs, I wouldn't have been asking you for the last 30 mins. Its just one of those things which I keep missing

I will find out myself . Any ways many Thanks for your patience and help.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:29 am

staffordjafar wrote:As per my understanding , if I go over 180 days, I have to prove it was because of my business visits outside UK. I personally believe if I dont prove the case worker , it may complicate my case.

To prove I exceeded 180 days because of business visits,I was told by some experts like you to produce a letter from my company to whom I sell my services. I am a sole trader registered as self employed.Hence I am asking you if I need to produce a letter from my employer?

I am so sorry If I am repeating.I just want to set things right now before its too late

Thanks,
Now where does this 180 days figure come from? Where? Now you are going to say that a friend of yours said that you have to do 5 parachute jumps and sleep in a room full of snakes before applying for naturalisation, and then I will have to prove you that you don't need to do that?

ITGraduate
Member of Standing

Post by ITGraduate » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:32 am

I think its enough. I dont want to be rude just like you because you are a person who have been helping people like me in this forum. i dont want you to stop helping others because of me.

so carry on your good work. I will help myself.

Thanks again.

ITGraduate
Member of Standing

Post by ITGraduate » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Sir,

I have thoroughly checked the UKBA website, I'm afraid the 450 days is only for people who apply for Naturalisation and not for people like me who wants to apply ILR

The modernised guidance says they will disregard any business trips if the applicant can prove this,and hence i wanted to keep an letter from my company for whom I provide services as a sole trader.

But you mentioed its 450 days and I need not worry about 250 days as its still 200 days less than 450.

But if you think otherwise and believe I am still incorrect, I implore you to send me the link where you found staying 450 outside UK is fine for an ILR application

Thanks again