ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Living in USA we want to move to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ouatime
Newly Registered

Living in USA we want to move to UK

Post by ouatime » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:03 am

Hi All

Need a little advice please, I have been looking over this great forum for a while now but having trouble finding out the info I am after.

OK long story short, I visited Florida four years ago this September and got married to my US girlfriend shortly after, we will be married four years this Oct and I have recently obtained a 10 year green card and plan on going for citizenship later this year to fully protect myself and cover all my options.

We are thinking of moving back to the UK for a few years sometime next year as I still have business in the UK and my wife is thinking of maybe going to collage and or transferring job to England.

So my question is what would we have to do in order to get my wife UK residency and able to legally work and maybe even citizenship later down the line? Right now she comes over to England with her US passport and gets six months without being able to work.

Hope someone can please help

Thank you

Stuart

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:13 am

Best plan is come on visit visa, take the KOL test (knowledge of life) and return to USA. Then apply for ILE, cost about £820.

Citizenship after one year in UK, cost about £720.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Wanderer wrote:Best plan is come on visit visa, take the KOL test (knowledge of life) and return to USA. Then apply for ILE, cost about £820.

Citizenship after one year in UK, cost about £720.
Don't you mean 3 years? Also I believe the cut-off for holders of ILE/ILR to apply under the existing citizenship rules will be July 2013 so any application is likely to be under the new rules (whatever that will mean).

ouatime
Newly Registered

Post by ouatime » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi guys

Thanks very much for your help and sorry its taken so long to reply, we are back in Florida right now and my wife is going to study for the KOL test and take it when we are over at Xmas.

Can you please advise me if she takes the test and then we return and apply for ILE and IF its approved do we have to move straight over to the UK and stay for so many months? Its just I have a lot of work in America and it would mean popping back and forward a bit.

Any ideas? Thanks again for all the advice so far its much appricated.

Stu