ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewed passport

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

*FC*
Member of Standing

Renewed passport

Post by *FC* » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:49 pm

Dear all,

Well, a quick confirmation question. I got my Indian passport renewed recently and I have both New and Old passports with me. However, the UK Tier 1 visa is on Old passport and is valid till 2011 April.
I do understand that I can carry both of them together and then will need to produce both at immigration.

However, the following note in the linkbelow confuses me:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/while ... -passport/
We cannot transfer your residence permit to your new passport at passport control when you enter the UK. If you can prove that you are entitled to live here, the immigration officer at your port of entry will put a date stamp in your new passport. You must then send us an application form asking us to place a residence permit in your new passport. You must be in the UK when you make this application.

If the residence permit in your old passport says that you have permission to settle permanently in the UK (called 'indefinite leave to remain'), you must apply for a 'no time limit' (NTL) stamp using form NTL. You can download this form and a detailed guide from the right side of this page.
If the residence permit in your old passport says that you have permission to be in the UK for a limited period (called 'limited leave to remain'), you must apply for a 'transfer of conditions' (TOC) stamp using form TOC. You can download this form and a detailed guide from the right side of this page. You will also need to apply for a compulsory identity card.
So my question is, do I have to get a TOC done?! :? Or am i fine with just my Old and new passports together?!

FC

dima
Member of Standing

Re: Renewed passport

Post by dima » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:59 pm

*FC* wrote:Dear all,

Well, a quick confirmation question. I got my Indian passport renewed recently and I have both New and Old passports with me. However, the UK Tier 1 visa is on Old passport and is valid till 2011 April.
I do understand that I can carry both of them together and then will need to produce both at immigration.

However, the following note in the linkbelow confuses me:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/while ... -passport/
We cannot transfer your residence permit to your new passport at passport control when you enter the UK. If you can prove that you are entitled to live here, the immigration officer at your port of entry will put a
date stamp in your new passport. You must then send us an application form asking us to place a residence permit in your new passport. You must be in the UK when you make this application.

If the residence permit in your old passport says that you have permission to settle permanently in the UK (called 'indefinite leave to remain'), you must apply for a 'no time limit' (NTL) stamp using form NTL. You can download this form and a detailed guide from the right side of this page.
If the residence permit in your old passport says that you have permission to be in the UK for a limited period (called 'limited leave to remain'), you must apply for a 'transfer of conditions' (TOC) stamp using form TOC. You can download this form and a detailed guide from the right side of this page. You will also need to apply for a compulsory identity card.
So my question is, do I have to get a TOC done?! :? Or am i fine with just my Old and new passports together?!

FC
you should be fine with both the passports. On the other hand, you can go for TOC if time permits. In this situation I would have gone for TOC....
Njoin with my new iPAD ....it's really magical....

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:09 pm

dima wrote: you should be fine with both the passports. On the other hand, you can go for TOC if time permits. In this situation I would have gone for TOC....
Thanks Dima. I wonder why they say that one MUST go for TOC incase the officer stamps in the new passport. Does it mean that I will be fine as long as I am in the country and I need to get it changed if I do a trip somewhere and comeback ?! :?

FC

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:57 pm

Just called the UKBA and as usual, I get contradictory responses. :roll:

I was also advised to carry a letter from employer along with both these passports. And the lady who spoke with me wasn't sure if it was mandatory ! :evil:

Well, now time for the gurus here to come up with an advise please!!

FC

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:29 pm

Reading carefully helps!
Transferring your visa to a new passport wrote:You do not need to transfer your residence permit to your new passport. If you choose not to transfer your permit, you should carry both your old and new passports when you travel to the UK - this will prove to our immigration officers that you have the right to be in the UK.
regards

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:33 pm

*FC* wrote:
dima wrote: you should be fine with both the passports. On the other hand, you can go for TOC if time permits. In this situation I would have gone for TOC....
Thanks Dima. I wonder why they say that one MUST go for TOC incase the officer stamps in the new passport. Does it mean that I will be fine as long as I am in the country and I need to get it changed if I do a trip somewhere and comeback ?! :?

FC
One with Indefinite leave *must* apply using NTL form, and one with limited leave *must* aply using TOC form. The use of the word *must* here is in reference to which form(s) need to be used depending on one's status in the UK, if one *wishes* to transfer the visa to a new passport.

Hope this clarifies.

regards

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:46 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
*FC* wrote:

FC
One with Indefinite leave *must* apply using NTL form, and one with limited leave *must* aply using TOC form. The use of the word *must* here is in reference to which form(s) need to be used depending on one's status in the UK, if one *wishes* to transfer the visa to a new passport.

Hope this clarifies.

regards

Aah, I get it now. Thanks very much Sush!

Guess I need to improve my grammar or comprehension !!! :twisted: :twisted: :) :lol:

HSMPLOCHA

Post by HSMPLOCHA » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:39 am

Hi,

I have submitted my application as well for TOC to my new passport.

Three Things
1. My Tier 1 extension is valid till 2013. Which is a sticker on passport. Are they going to issue an identity card
2. Do I need to get my biometric fingerprint done?
3. My name on old passport is hand written. So part of given names appears in surname. The new passport has this rectified. i have given birth certificate as proof. Is that enough

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance.