ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Discretionary Leave

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

damsel
Newly Registered

Discretionary Leave

Post by damsel » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:42 am

I have been given the option to apply for FL since my previous application for a PSW has been declined. I have lived in the UK legally for 6 years. I have done lots of charity work in my community through my church and got many ties with the community I live in.

I was wondering if someone could let me know how long this process would take and whether it is worth pursuing.

Many thanks

mrlookforward
BANNED

Re: Discretionary Leave

Post by mrlookforward » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:29 pm

damsel wrote:I have been given the option to apply for FL since my previous application for a PSW has been declined. I have lived in the UK legally for 6 years. I have done lots of charity work in my community through my church and got many ties with the community I live in.

I was wondering if someone could let me know how long this process would take and whether it is worth pursuing.

Many thanks
Are you sure they have asked your to apply for further leave?

BLK235

Post by BLK235 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:32 pm

damsel wrote:I have been given the option to apply for FL
Given this option by whom?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:55 pm

damsel wrote:I have been given the option to apply for FL since my previous application for a PSW has been declined. I have lived in the UK legally for 6 years. I have done lots of charity work in my community through my church and got many ties with the community I live in.

Many thanks
Seems very unlikely, charidy and church works counts for nowt for immigration purposes...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:08 pm

damsel, did you just receive a refusal letter that added in general terms at the end that of course you could always apply for further leave in another category etc. etc?

I do see this on HO letters, and to be honest consider it positively misleading. It doesn't mean that you have free rein to make a fresh application. If your current leave has now expired and you don't have standing to appeal against the PSW refusal, then I can't think of any categories in which you could legitimately apply in-country.

As others have said, you are vanishingly unlikely to get DL just on the strength of your charity work.

More information about your application and the reasons for refusal would be helpful...

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:22 pm

Its just a general wording like "you can apply on any other grounds you might have" or something on those lines. Basically it means nothing.