ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What to do?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Katchin
Newly Registered

What to do?

Post by Katchin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi,

I am Canadian by birth, and was adopted in Canada by British parents in 1970 when I was three months old. I have lived in England ever since, but have retained a Canadian passport (out of date for years).

I have just been offered a job within the NHS and they require all sorts of proof of both who I am, and also more importantly, my right to work in the UK. I do have a national insurance number, and have voted and claimed benefits and paid tax and so on, so I am clearly allowed to work here, however I do not have a piece of paper stipulating this.
What should I get?

I presume after living here for 40 years I am entitled to become British surely? After looking online briefly I see there are many forms of this, which do I apply for?

Thanks in advance.

DaisyG12
Newly Registered

Post by DaisyG12 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:05 am

If you born in Canada, then you must have the citizenship of Canada, even though several years have passed away. Simultaneously, if your parents are British and and your are living since long in UK, then you should also get the UK citizenship.

Now, what you need to do is to make all your proofs documented first, then only you can make someone trust you. The tax receipt, your birth certificate, your mark sheets, national insurance number etc will definitely work for you to get the things documented easily. After getting all the things in proper documented form, you can apply for being a UK citizen officially.

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Post by HRY2005 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:23 am

If you are adopted by British parents, you are treated as their biological child as well, what about your adoption certificate? You allowed to use that as evidence of your rights to live and work in the UK.
Live and let live

Katchin
Newly Registered

Post by Katchin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:40 pm

well it would seem I am not allowed to work here currently, i'm amazed.

Adoption cert. is not valid as it isn't a uk one, according to the Border Agency.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 pm

Katchin, are your parents still alive? Can they fill in any gaps in the history of your citizenship/nationality?

Did they take any steps other than adopting you in Canada (presumably under Canadian law)? How did they bring you back to the UK? (were you named on their passports etc?) Did they register your adoption in the UK?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:04 pm

DaisyG12 wrote:If you born in Canada, then you must have the citizenship of Canada, even though several years have passed away. Simultaneously, if your parents are British and and your are living since long in UK, then you should also get the UK citizenship.

Now, what you need to do is to make all your proofs documented first, then only you can make someone trust you. The tax receipt, your birth certificate, your mark sheets, national insurance number etc will definitely work for you to get the things documented easily. After getting all the things in proper documented form, you can apply for being a UK citizen officially.
Living in UK since 1970 doesn't mean that a person automatically become British Citizen. Tax receipts, birth certificate, mark sheet or national insurance number are in no way proof of British Citizenship.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:06 pm

Kitty wrote:Katchin, are your parents still alive? Can they fill in any gaps in the history of your citizenship/nationality?

Did they take any steps other than adopting you in Canada (presumably under Canadian law)? How did they bring you back to the UK? (were you named on their passports etc?) Did they register your adoption in the UK?
Kitty's questions are very relevant to establish OP's status in UK.

Katchin
Newly Registered

Post by Katchin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:50 pm

hi,
My mother is still alive, it seems i was adopted in canada and travelled back to the UK on her passport.
My adoption was not registered in the UK, was never aware of any requirement or reason for doing so, until now.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:17 pm

Have you thought about applying for your first British passport as an adult?

If you are not considered to be British (you may well be) then you may be able to naturalise because you are settled in the UK due to coming to the UK before the 1971 immigration act came into force.

There is a way, don't give up. Has your mother still got the passport you travelled to the UK on?

The reason you cannot work is it seems because you have no suitable evidence you can work in the UK. An employer has to not discriminate and ask you for evidence too.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:03 am

"it seems" how do you mean by that? can you not make sure what the position is about this important matter. I dont believe that your mother wont remember where you were adopted. You travelled on her passport, thats a pointer that you already are a British citizen.

Katchin
Newly Registered

Post by Katchin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:36 am

I used 'it seems' as I don't remember these things myself, heh.

And yes paperpusher, I will apply for naturalisation. Unfortunately I have to find out my status on paper first, as I cannot start any applications before I have that info.

It seems the errors here were my parents not obtaining a UK adoption certificate and not getting my passport stamped with the right of abode.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:38 am

As you entered UK before 1971 immigration act came into force, you definately have at least ILR in UK.
You said that you entered on your mother's passport. That gives the best hint that you already are a British citizen. Anyways, best way would be to first establish which nationality passport was used for your first entery into UK. Once you have this info, then the future course could be determined.