ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

self employment question

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kito
Newly Registered

self employment question

Post by kito » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi All,

I am planning switch from PSW to t1 general in December. Since the rules have changed recently, I am short of 4K to achieve 75 points. So I registered myself as self employed (sole-trader) with HMRC last month and doing a part-time work to fill the gap.

The guideline (section 142) states that I need minimum two of the below and I don't see how i can provide 2 evidence from the list below

1. Employers Liability Insurance from an i) authorised insurer -- doesn't seem applicable as I don't employ

2. Proof of registration with HM Revenue ii) & Customs (HMRC) as self employed -- can provide this

3. Evidence of Registration with HM iii) Revenue & Customs (HMRC) as an employer to pay PAYE & National Insurance -- doesn't seem applicable as I don't employ

4. Certificate of VAT registration and latest iv) VAT return confirming VAT registration number -- doesn't seem applicable as I won't be earning 65K

5. Latest Annual self-assessment tax return v) to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) - Statement of Account (SA300 or SA302) -- I haven't completed a full financial year yet, so won't have this till next year

6. Latest Corporate/Business Bank vi) Statement along with a letter from the Bank setting out the dealings it has had with the organisation, including the nature and duration of its dealings -- there is no legal requirement to have a business account for a sole-trader and I am using my personal account

7. Proof of ownership of Business vii) Premises and other Fixed Assets or Proof of Lease of Business Premises -- not applicable

Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

bagula_bhagat
BANNED

Post by bagula_bhagat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:57 pm

I have tried asking this question many times on this forum but nobody seems to have an answer. I would suggest that you contact some qualified immigration lawyer with an in-house accountant.

alimohmand

Post by alimohmand » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:46 pm

Provide 2 & 3

For 3 you will quarterly receive a bill for NI once you pay the monies via post office you can hand those in as second source.

There is no harm in registering as VAT you dont have to earn 65k to register for VAT you can do it voluntarily.

Good Luck

dima
Member of Standing

Re: self employment question

Post by dima » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:36 am

kito wrote:Hi All,

I am planning switch from PSW to t1 general in December. Since the rules have changed recently, I am short of 4K to achieve 75 points. So I registered myself as self employed (sole-trader) with HMRC last month and doing a part-time work to fill the gap.

The guideline (section 142) states that I need minimum two of the below and I don't see how i can provide 2 evidence from the list below

1. Employers Liability Insurance from an i) authorised insurer -- doesn't seem applicable as I don't employ

2. Proof of registration with HM Revenue ii) & Customs (HMRC) as self employed -- can provide this

3. Evidence of Registration with HM iii) Revenue & Customs (HMRC) as an employer to pay PAYE & National Insurance -- doesn't seem applicable as I don't employ

4. Certificate of VAT registration and latest iv) VAT return confirming VAT registration number -- doesn't seem applicable as I won't be earning 65K

5. Latest Annual self-assessment tax return v) to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) - Statement of Account (SA300 or SA302) -- I haven't completed a full financial year yet, so won't have this till next year

6. Latest Corporate/Business Bank vi) Statement along with a letter from
the Bank setting out the dealings it has had with the organisation, including the nature and duration of its dealings -- there is no legal requirement to have a business account for a sole-trader and I am using my personal account

7. Proof of ownership of Business vii) Premises and other Fixed Assets or Proof of Lease of Business Premises -- not applicable

Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
IMO, 2 & 6 are also pleasant options. You can open B account with any uk bank and show the statement of the deposits made.
Njoin with my new iPAD ....it's really magical....

rpsarangi
Member of Standing

i think

Post by rpsarangi » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:51 am

i am applying next week.
i think there is no harm in getting the employer liabilty insurance even if you dont have employee as they are asking for it.
so that solves your query as you can have the
utr number from hmrc
employer liability insurance

i think its ok to apply with personal bank statement

wait for seniors to respond too.
best of luck