ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the Uk text ,when can i sit for the exam?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

akogun
Newly Registered

Life in the Uk text ,when can i sit for the exam?

Post by akogun » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:21 pm

I am resident in the UK on a 27 months spouse visa which expires next year december 2011,by September next year i would have spent the mandatory 2 years,Please can someone advise me when can i actually sit for the life in the UK text,Can i do take it now and get it out of the way or do i have o wait till the point of application and how long is the certificate valid for?.Thanks

John

Post by John » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:42 am

You can take the test whenever you like. Just ensure that you keep the pass certificate in a safe place, otherwise you may need to take the test again.
John

jjkumar_73

about "Life in the UK" Test

Post by jjkumar_73 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:48 pm

John wrote:You can take the test whenever you like. Just ensure that you keep the pass certificate in a safe place, otherwise you may need to take the test again.

For applying ILR ,who should attend this "Life in the UK" test? the Main applicant or spouse or both?

Thanks,
Jay

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: about "Life in the UK" Test

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:23 pm

jjkumar_73 wrote:
John wrote:You can take the test whenever you like. Just ensure that you keep the pass certificate in a safe place, otherwise you may need to take the test again.

For applying ILR ,who should attend this "Life in the UK" test? the Main applicant or spouse or both?

Thanks,
Jay
Everyone, unless exempt. Madness and old age are two such criteria, I fear I would qualify on both if I needed to take the test...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

jjkumar_73

Post by jjkumar_73 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:52 pm

THANKS FOR UR REPLY...

John

Post by John » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:35 pm

Everyone, unless exempt.
For the avoidance of doubt, given the above exchange could be ambiguous, every adult applicant for ILR needs to supply a pass certificate from the Life in the UK Citizenship test, or alternatively a completion certificate from a combined ESOL/Citizenship course. (Unless covered by the HSMP JR)
John

jjkumar_73

Post by jjkumar_73 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:43 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH JOHN....

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:01 am

John wrote:
Everyone, unless exempt.
For the avoidance of doubt, given the above exchange could be ambiguous, every adult applicant for ILR needs to supply a pass certificate from the Life in the UK Citizenship test, or alternatively a completion certificate from a combined ESOL/Citizenship course. (Unless covered by the HSMP JR)
Apart from those listed here;

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settl ... uage-life/

Exemption for certain immigration categories
You will not have to meet the KOL requirement if you are being granted settlement outside the Immigration Rules, or if you are applying for settlement as:
a Foreign and Commonwealth citizen on discharge from HM Forces (including a Gurkha);
the husband, wife or civil partner of a Foreign and Commonwealth citizen on discharge from HM Forces (including a Gurkha);
a victim of domestic violence;
the bereaved partner (husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner) of a British citizen or someone who was settled here;
a parent, grandparent or other dependent relative of a British citizen or someone who has settled here (under paragraph 317 of the Immigration Rules);
a retired person of independent means;
a European national or the non-European family member of a European national, making an application under the Free Movement of Persons provisions (not based on the Immigration Rules);
a Turkish businessperson under the European Community Association Agreement (ECAA) with Turkey;
someone who has spent five years in the UK with permission to stay as a refugee;
someone who has spent six years in the UK with discretionary leave;
someone who has spent four years in the UK with exceptional leave to remain;
someone who has spent five years in the UK with humanitarian protection; or
a dependent child of someone in an employment category that preceding the points-based system (listed in paragraphs 128-193 of the Immigration Rules, excluding paragraphs 135I-135K) or of someone who is here as a businessman, self-employed person, investor, writer, composer or artist (paragraphs 200-239 of the Immigration Rules). This includes children who are 18 or over when they apply.

Exemption because of your age
If you are under 18 years old or at least 65 years old, you are exempt from the KOL requirement. When you apply for settlement, you should send us your passport or birth certificate as evidence of your age.
Exemption because of disability
If you have a long-standing, permanent disability which prevents you from learning English, you may be exempt from the KOL requirement. To be exempt, you must:
be suffering from a long-term illness or disability that severely restricts your mobility and ability to attend language classes; or
have a mental impairment which means that you are unable to learn another language.
When you apply for settlement, you should send us evidence from a medical practitioner confirming your disability.
If you require special arrangements to be able to learn English or take a test, you are not exempt - you still must meet the KOL requirement.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....