ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA2 & Health Insurance

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jvgallegos
Newly Registered

EEA2 & Health Insurance

Post by jvgallegos » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:24 pm

Hello all,
I hope someone can give me some advice about how to proceed with my EEA2 application. I am a non-EU citizen married to an Italian citizen. My wife has a job here, while I am doing my research to complete a PhD program from the USA.
I moved here in January this year, and submitted my application on Februrary 2nd of this year and got the COA a couple of weeks later. I submitted the following documents with the application:
- Marriage certificate
- My wife's contract of employment and pay slips
- Lease documents -which are on her name
- Bank statements from the UK (one joint accounts and 2 accounts on her name) and from the USA (on her name and on my name).
- Passports and photos
- My wife's national insurance and tax documents
I have been reading on several websites that lots of people have had problems because of the "comprehensive health insurance". In the UKBA website it nowhere says anything about this, though I should now assume that this is implied by being "self-sufficient". My wife is covered by the UK health insurance as she pays taxes.
In my case, I got my National Insurance Number one month ago, and also registered as a self employed for National Insurance and Tax.
Yesterday I called the BA office and they told me that my application was allocated to a caseworker last Friday and that I should be receiving a letter from them in the next 2 weeks.
In this context, my question is:
- Should I buy the famous "Comprehensive Health Insurance" and send it as possible to the UKBA and request this to be appended to my application before they send me any communication?
- Does my wife also needs to buy the "Comprehensive Health Insurance" even when she is covered by the NHIS?
- Should I also submit the letter I received from the National Insurance Service with my National Insurance Number and the email I got from the HMRC National Insurance Contributions Office after I submitted online my application to register as a self-employed for taxes?
Sorry for the large message. Hope somebody can provide advice.
Many thanks!

Jose

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:34 pm

If the EEA national is working there is no need for additional cover.

jvgallegos
Newly Registered

Post by jvgallegos » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:47 am

Thanks 86ti!

So 10 days ago I called the Home Office and found out that my application was allocated to a case worker on June 18th. After that, on June 26th I received a letter requesting: (1) passports back, (2) further evidence that my wife -Italian citizen- was exercising treaty rights.. really weird given that I sent her working contract, letter from employer and payslips, and (3) further proof of domicile in the UK -which is also weird given that I sent in the original application bank statements with my name on them and my address.

On June 29th I sent back my passports, my wife's working contract, a letter from her employer, more payslips, her Tax and Revenue documents, NI certificate.. I also included my working contract, NI certificate, payslips, lease agreement...

Based on the tracking system of the Royal Mail, they received the package on June 30th.

Now, I'm just waiting... Hopefully it won't take that long until I receive a response from them.

patmit
Newly Registered

Post by patmit » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:22 pm

This thread is also quite helpful for me -- thanks for jvgallegos and 86i.

I'm in a similar situation and also submitted in Feb but 12th. Still haven't heard from them yet which drives me crazy.

I will try to contact them and see if there is any news --- it is so difficult to even get through and talk to them!!!

Best luck to you.