ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization After ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

QA
Newly Registered

Naturalization After ILR

Post by QA » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi
I have got my ILR after completion of 5 years on work permit (total stay=4 years on student visa +5 years on work permit) with my two dependents (wife and son) on 28 May 2010.

Thanks to forum to gave me sufficient knowledge to make it successful without any problem.

My understanding to apply for naturalization is:

1- I can apply after 1 year -29 May 2011 or after (I have to make sure that I was in the country (5years ago) on 29 May 2006 or the date I am applying). Days out side the UK should not more than 450 in last 5 years including not over 90 days in last year.

2-My wife joined me in the UK on 28 Feb 2009.She also got ILR with me, she can apply for BC after three years (29 Feb 2012 or after) if I got BC in May 2011. Days out side the UK should not more than 227 (or 270) in last 3 years including not over 90 days in last year.

3-My 3 years old son- born out side the UK , joined me in the UK on 28 Feb 2009. (Currently having ILR too) can apply for BC any time (on discretion basis) after I got BC.
Is my wife and son can apply together in Feb 2012 to save some fee or he has to wait for 5 years.

4- Any kind of benefit like housing, IS, Tax credit, child benefit and pregnancy grant does not effect on BC application as these are allowed
(if applicable).

I am looking forward to expert’s comments and guidance on above.

Thanks in advance
Q

( I would like to request you to give straight answer instead of attach link to UKBA website. As I Trust on you more :lol: Thanks)

shs213

Re: Naturalization After ILR

Post by shs213 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:53 pm

QA wrote:Hi
I have got my ILR after completion of 5 years on work permit (total stay=4 years on student visa +5 years on work permit) with my two dependents (wife and son) on 28 May 2010.

Thanks to forum to gave me sufficient knowledge to make it successful without any problem.

My understanding to apply for naturalization is:

1- I can apply after 1 year -29 May 2011 or after (I have to make sure that I was in the country (5years ago) on 29 May 2006 or the date I am applying). Days out side the UK should not more than 450 in last 5 years including not over 90 days in last year.

2-My wife joined me in the UK on 28 Feb 2009.She also got ILR with me, she can apply for BC after three years (29 Feb 2012 or after) if I got BC in May 2011. Days out side the UK should not more than 227 (or 270) in last 3 years including not over 90 days in last year.

3-My 3 years old son- born out side the UK , joined me in the UK on 28 Feb 2009. (Currently having ILR too) can apply for BC any time (on discretion basis) after I got BC.
Is my wife and son can apply together in Feb 2012 to save some fee or he has to wait for 5 years.

4- Any kind of benefit like housing, IS, Tax credit, child benefit and pregnancy grant does not effect on BC application as these are allowed
(if applicable).

I am looking forward to expert’s comments and guidance on above.

Thanks in advance
Q

( I would like to request you to give straight answer instead of attach link to UKBA website. As I Trust on you more :lol: Thanks)
1> Correct
2> Three year rule is correct, absence in the UK dates are not 100% sure...
3> You dont have to apply for BC for your son, you just need to register him as a BC. He qualifies on the basis of being a child of "settled" parents...
4>Dont know...

That's my 2 cents...

John

Post by John » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:36 pm

I comment :-
  1. Agreed
  2. Agreed, except limit of 270 days outside the UK in the 3-year qualifying period.
  3. I would suggest that when you apply for your Naturalisation you also apply for your son's Registration as British. The qualification conditions are very different for child Registration, and being under 13 he has not got to be in the UK for any particular length of time, and he will be delighted to learn that he has not got to pass the Life in the UK Citizenship test!!!!
  4. Agreed, benefit claims to which you are entitled, will not have any adverse effects.
All I would add is ...... drive carefully, certainly don't get any convictions, or even any Fixed-Price penalty tickets.
John

rizwan_ali

Post by rizwan_ali » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:20 pm

John wrote: even any Fixed-Price penalty tickets.
john why u mentioned that, is there effects for this?

John

Post by John » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:57 am

In this UKBA document if you read 3.2.4 you will see it says :-
In determining whether an applicant meets the "good character" requirement, caseworkers should not normally take into account fixed penalty notices, unless the applicant has received more than one fixed penalty notice in the last 12 months, and this would suggest a pattern of offending. If an application is refused on this basis, the applicant should be advised that he or she can reapply at a time when he or she does not have more than one fixed penalty notice in the twelve month period before making an application.
So one fixed penalty notice in the previous 12 months is OK ..... more than one is not!
John

QA
Newly Registered

Post by QA » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks a lot
given information must help me to get BC to me and my family.