ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRITISH PASSPORT FOR CHILD OF BRITISH FATHER/OVERSTAY MUM

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

unfair

BRITISH PASSPORT FOR CHILD OF BRITISH FATHER/OVERSTAY MUM

Post by unfair » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:37 pm

I'm wondering if anyone can help. My sister's got a boy with a British citizen. They want to get a British passport for the boy but are unsure whether the boy is eligible since his mother is an overstayer.

I'd be grateful for your expert answers please.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:10 pm

Only one parent needs to be a British citizen/permanent resident.
Assuming the child was born in the UK.

If child was born before 1 July 2006, then child must be registered as a British citizen with the Home Office before age 18.

unfair

Post by unfair » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Thanks for your reply. So it means my nephew is alright to apply for a British passport then? What's the process then? Is it through the IPS as per normal?

Thanks

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:43 am

unfair wrote:Thanks for your reply. So it means my nephew is alright to apply for a British passport then? What's the process then? Is it through the IPS as per normal?
Yes.

Except that if child was born before 1 July 2006 and father is not married to mother, then they need to apply to the Home Office first.

unfair

Post by unfair » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:35 am

JAJ wrote:
unfair wrote:Thanks for your reply. So it means my nephew is alright to apply for a British passport then? What's the process then? Is it through the IPS as per normal?
Yes.

Except that if child was born before 1 July 2006 and father is not married to mother, then they need to apply to the Home Office first.
Sorry if I'm sounding a bit stupid but could you please clarify the following point:

1. My sister isn't married to her partner. Does it mean they have to apply first to the Home Office and how do they do it?

troubled

Post by troubled » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:25 am

unfair wrote:
JAJ wrote:
Yes.

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit stupid but could you please clarify the following point:

1. My sister isn't married to her partner. Does it mean they have to apply first to the Home Office and how do they do it?

If the child was born after 1st july,2006,then child is british by birth since one of the parents is british,there is no need to apply through home office.When was the child born?