ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ancestry visa switch to spousal, work necessary?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ancestrygirl
Newly Registered

ancestry visa switch to spousal, work necessary?

Post by ancestrygirl » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi there,

I'm currently on an ancestry visa - 6 months into it (4.5 years left). I'll be marrying a British citizen in December (wedding scheduled to be in South Africa, but maybe we should getting married here first for ease?)

So I will need to SWITCH from Ancestry to spousal.

Problem is, do I need to be in employment/ have been working in order to make the switch? I have substantial savings so financially I have no issues with needing public funds.

I've not been working these past 6 months. If I need to get a job, it will be purely to satisfy visa requirements.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Is there any particular reason you want to switch to a spouse visa? The ancestry visa gives you much more flexibility in terms of not being reliant on your spouse.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

ancestrygirl
Newly Registered

Post by ancestrygirl » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:16 pm

Dawie wrote:Is there any particular reason you want to switch to a spouse visa? The ancestry visa gives you much more flexibility in terms of not being reliant on your spouse.
Hi Dawie, thanks for your reply.

Yes there is a reason: I want the spouse visa so I have the OPTION to work rather than the OBLIGATION.