ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Effect of woman keeping her maiden surname

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dawie
Diamond Member

Effect of woman keeping her maiden surname

Post by Dawie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:33 pm

Does anyone know if a woman choosing to keep her maiden surname instead of taking her husbands surname would have any effect on the outcome of a spouse visa application? Do you think an ECO might doubt the intentions of the spouse or have any doubts about the legitimacy of the marriage because of this?

Just asking because more and more woman consider it quite old fashioned for the woman to take her husbands surname and are choosing to keep their original surname when getting married. Of course there are quite a few cultures where the woman does not take her husbands surname at all (Spain comes to mind immediately).
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:35 pm

IMHO, none whatsoever. AFAIK, there's no (UK) law that dictates a woman to change her surname to that of her husband / partner.

regards

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:24 pm

Same in Pakistan, very rare that wife takes husbands name.I personally know as my wife has used her maiden name for last 30 yrs. I or she has never had problems with officials