ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

getting job without UK experience

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

theimmigrant

getting job without UK experience

Post by theimmigrant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:24 am

im here for abiout 2 months now and i have 6 years of extensive .net experience with certifications of MCAD.net and MCTS in asp.net 3.5

I have got about 60 interview calls in 2 months but when they hear that I have got no UK experience , they say No..

I wonder wat is the solution to this problem? Most of the job responsibilities seem trivial and i have cleared technical interviews as well but still a No

Need some guidance badly

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:05 am

You mean 60 Interview calls OR 60 calls from Agents (after seeing your CV)?

theimmigrant

Post by theimmigrant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:05 am

the first one

wire
Newly Registered

Re: getting job without UK experience

Post by wire » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:59 am

theimmigrant wrote:im here for abiout 2 months now and i have 6 years of extensive .net experience with certifications of MCAD.net and MCTS in asp.net 3.5

I have got about 60 interview calls in 2 months but when they hear that I have got no UK experience , they say No..

I wonder wat is the solution to this problem? Most of the job responsibilities seem trivial and i have cleared technical interviews as well but still a No

Need some guidance badly
That certainly is a problem, even i had faced a similar problem. You just have to find some company which doesnt look for UK experience.

Dont think there is a way around it.

theimmigrant

Post by theimmigrant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:00 am

how can i know if any company is not looking for uk experience.. how did u find a job and how much time it took you to get one?

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:05 am

theimmigrant wrote:the first one
If you can convince agents who can schedule you an interview call, then you should try to convince the companies also.

Highlight any experience of working in the US , Europe etc if you have any.

You should have noticed this issue after couple of interviews itself.

Did you get any feedback from agents? There can be other issues but may be employer is just giving this as a reason.

theimmigrant

Post by theimmigrant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:07 am

Apparently, there is no clear reason. I just dont "make a match" after clearing all hurdles

I get through all tecnical tests (3-4) and then Stupoid HR interview comes up

I dont know why they dont see it initially and cal me for test and interviews

wire
Newly Registered

Post by wire » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:26 am

theimmigrant wrote:how can i know if any company is not looking for uk experience.. how did u find a job and how much time it took you to get one?
You should probably explicitly mention that you dont have UK experience when the agent/company calls you. Atleast you are not misled and keeps you from hoping.

To be honest, i had used my old contacts to get the job and luckily the whole process took only about a month. Although i was also in the market, nothing worked out in the end.

theimmigrant

Post by theimmigrant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:29 am

old contacts..hmmmm.... i wish i had those here..

so, its the same problem going on with everyone.. i wonder how ppl make the first break here

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:31 am

could it be another factor? HR interview is not just about UK experience. I think there could be something regarding your soft skills, such as team work, communication skill, problem solving, influence, etc.

theimmigrant

Post by theimmigrant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:38 am

hmmm..
may be my beard ;) if not anything else then

gordon

Post by gordon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:19 pm

renzokuken wrote:could it be another factor? HR interview is not just about UK experience. I think there could be something regarding your soft skills, such as team work, communication skill, problem solving, influence, etc.
I would agree with this, and would add that any suggestion in the interview that the job responsibilities are viewed as 'trivial' would be received badly.

wire
Newly Registered

Post by wire » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:10 pm

theimmigrant wrote:Apparently, there is no clear reason. I just dont "make a match" after clearing all hurdles

Strange! Generally agents/companies ask for UK experience even before the interview is scheduled.

Was the interviews in-person? Including the HR round? Did you ask them why this point was not indicated before?

Idea

Post by Idea » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:38 pm

wire wrote:
theimmigrant wrote:Apparently, there is no clear reason. I just dont "make a match" after clearing all hurdles

Strange! Generally agents/companies ask for UK experience even before the interview is scheduled.

Was the interviews in-person? Including the HR round? Did you ask them why this point was not indicated before?
it can be found in the CV if the candidate has uk experience or not. i dont think that would be the only reason

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:49 pm

theimmigrant wrote:hmmm..
may be my beard ;) if not anything else then
I have a lot of friends who have beard, never heard any problem...in the company I work for, quite a few senior managers have beard :)

theimmigrant

Post by theimmigrant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:39 pm

you better give me your company's email address @renzokuken ;)

Whe I say trivial responsibilities, it means job has nothing special in it but still :@

Its so frustrating that after u clear all brainbench, IKM tests and get done with all ur interviews, you are rejcted due to no UK experience.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:09 pm

theimmigrant wrote: you are rejcted due to no UK experience.
I don't think that's the reason. Remember, not everybody starts in UK with UK experience. Not everybody is fortunate to be here onsite and switch or go back and come here. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Stick there, and as mentioned by others, see if you can improve in other area.

theimmigrant

Post by theimmigrant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:24 pm

i will try and keep this thread posted.. i have some more interview lined up

mnrao
Newly Registered

Post by mnrao » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi theimmigrant,

Even I am working on .NET technology in IND for the past 4.5 Yrs. And planning to relocate to UK on Nov 1st week.

May I know please What the Interviewers are expecting? And the Interview Process? I mean Interview rounds..

Is that the right time to land in UK??

Thanks,
Narayana.

theimmigrant

Post by theimmigrant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:20 pm

no time is ever right or wrong but chirstmas :)

you can try your luck..

REcruiters are dirt here.. if they dont understand u , ur cv wont be forwarded ..

after that comes technical session.. which can be a test online or interview in person or on fone..

then there is hr interview..

HR and Technical both interviews are done at once together if there is any technical interview.

and then there is result (rejection ) :)

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:03 am

theimmigrant wrote:you better give me your company's email address @renzokuken ;)

Whe I say trivial responsibilities, it means job has nothing special in it but still :@

Its so frustrating that after u clear all brainbench, IKM tests and get done with all ur interviews, you are rejcted due to no UK experience.
Again, I really don't think it is because you don't have UK experience. I also didn't have UK experience when my employer interviewed and finally hired me. I even applied from my home country. They paid my flight and expenses for f2f interview, and relocation cost when I moved here.

Usually the HR do the thing called "Behavioural Interview", google it and learn how to deal with this kind of interview. They are more interested to understand your attitude and softskills in the f2f interview rather than the technical skillls (provided you passed the technical before, as you mentioned)

innu
Newly Registered

Post by innu » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:45 am

Hi renzokuken,

What was ur approach in finding the job from India (or other home country). I have applied to many jobs online for 3 weeks after getting my visa. But no responses.

I am in technical support (3rd line) for Microsoft technologies and i see lot of vacancies but i think they will not call unless the candidate is in UK :(

-innu

mnrao
Newly Registered

Post by mnrao » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:17 am

theimmigrant wrote:no time is ever right or wrong but chirstmas :)

you can try your luck..

REcruiters are dirt here.. if they dont understand u , ur cv wont be forwarded ..

after that comes technical session.. which can be a test online or interview in person or on fone..

then there is hr interview..

HR and Technical both interviews are done at once together if there is any technical interview.

and then there is result (rejection ) :)
Thanks,

Yah I know that market will be slow down in Dec & Jan. But don't have any other option, because my visa start from Oct 8th.

So only Technical + HR rounds?

Did you face system programing test? or only online tests?

Could you please send me ur personal mailId to clear few more clarifications regarding Techinical areas?(if you are interested). So that I can be ready for their expectations..

Thanks,
Narayana Rao.

gd_Shepherd

Post by gd_Shepherd » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:58 am

And planning to relocate to UK on Nov 1st week.
I hope you have read Kenfrapin's comments in the thread

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... t=November

Shepherd

mnrao
Newly Registered

Post by mnrao » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:52 pm

gd_Shepherd wrote:
And planning to relocate to UK on Nov 1st week.
I hope you have read Kenfrapin's comments in the thread

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... t=November

Shepherd
Yes I already read it. But I don't have any option. I will be relived from current company on Oct 15th. Thats why I am planning to start immediately..