ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

settlement visa for parents

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ruthie

settlement visa for parents

Post by ruthie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:54 am

Hi all,

I'm currently holding ILR and seeking to apply for settlement for my parents.

I'm their only daughter. My father is above 65, can speak english and my mother is 60, both retired but healthy. They now own the flat they live in. I've been sending money back every year, but that's pretty much equivalent to what they got from their pension. That's to say they can meet their basic needs and I'm just trying to offer them a decent life there. However emotionally, I so miss them and want to try my best to take care of them while they are getting older year by year, no one in home country can do that and i don't want them to be there lonely. I'm married and my husband and i both work here and have no problem support them financially and with accommodation.

I would like to know if I should take a shot or wait until a later time (like when my mom reaches 65?) and if we are unlucky and fail the settlement application, will it be a turn-off for future visitor visa application?

Looking forward to replies.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:42 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:43 am

Never easy especially since they don't seem to living in 'the most extreme compassionate circumstances'.

And I do think a failed app. will scupper any visit options.

I'd certainly wait till both are over 65, since £3200 is a lot to risk.......
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ruthie

Post by ruthie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks vinny and Wanderer. This forum has always been responsive and very helpful.

Probably I should try after they both turn 65, I will consider. The only concern to me of trying this is after a faild app they might, as you said, no longer being regarded as a genuine visitor by ECO... :(

NT1234

Post by NT1234 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:25 pm

Only one of them need to be over 65, if you can satisfy all the rules then the age will not be an issue as this should not be part of the criteria since your dad is 65. However with them getting a pension you need to satisfy the rules they are wholly financially dependent on you which may not be so easy here. And no doubt they will have problems with getting a visitor visa if the settlement visa was declined.

Good luck.