ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Benefits of ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mihird
Newly Registered

Benefits of ILR

Post by mihird » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:56 pm

Hi,

I tried to find this online but could not get the details i wanted.

Does anyone know what is the actual benefit of getting an ILR compared to a Tier 2 (company sponsored) if -

1 - one does not want to apply for British Citizenship
2 - and does not intend to quit the current company and have the flexibility of getting some other job

I have heard and read that you have the permit to stay in the country provided you spend the majority of the time in the UK in the next 2 years, but i dont know what this majority time is? what is the flexilbility i have with ILR which i dont have with Tier 2 if i dont want to above mentioned 2 benefits?

Thanks

dimsav

Re: Benefits of ILR

Post by dimsav » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Tier 2 is just a temporary work visa, which may or may not be extended (then you loose you right of being in the UK). ILR is a residence permit, which gives you a settled status in the country. With ILR you have (almost) the same rights as British citizens without being such one. ILR is free from immigration control, meaning that you have an access to benefits (if needed), home fees for Higher Education study, etc. But you need first to work and live in the UK as Tier 2 (or 1) for at least 5 years (currently), to be eligible for ILR.

mihird
Newly Registered

Post by mihird » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:23 am

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

I am eligible for ILR and my company is also happy to sponsor me for Tier 2. However, as mentioned in my 1st post, if i stay in the UK, i dont intend to change job, and i am not keen on the British Citizenship as well.

Hence my question, if i have an ILR, and i then move to India, then what is the flexibility of me being able to return to the UK for work/looking for work...i have read somewhere that to maintain the ILR, majority of the time has to be spent in the UK...but i dont know what is this majority?

Hence i want to find out the benefits of ILR if one does not want to change jobs or apply for a British Passport.

THanks a lot

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:36 am

mihird wrote:i have read somewhere that to maintain the ILR, majority of the time has to be spent in the UK...but i dont know what is this majority
See Section 3 - Returning residents, Annex K - Exceptions to the two year rule and Returning residents (18-20).

regards

dimsav

Post by dimsav » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:20 pm

mihird, my personal advice - if you are already eligible to ILR then get it, don't even think about Tier 2!

On Tier 2, you'll always depend on government immigration policy, which has already a bad historic record of changes, especially w.r.t. those on work visa. On ILR you have much more flexibility of making decisions on your own... (Also, if you are still happy with your current employer it doesn't mean that it will stay so forever - time goes and circumstances may change.)

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:32 pm

You may love your company but your company may stop loving you one day.

For that day, ILR will required.

:P

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:18 pm

Soon time will come when getting ILR/PR/Probationary citizenship will not be easier - For that day ILR is required.

Some one on T1 has almost same rights of ILR (Almost) but they also prefer to apply ILR.

Pierrot95

Post by Pierrot95 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:44 am

mihird wrote: Does anyone know what is the actual benefit of getting an ILR
Your question looks very strange to me...
Have you heard of any benefit of not getting ILR?

====

mihird
Newly Registered

Post by mihird » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:25 am

Thanks a lot sushdmehta, dimsav, Sky_High, much appreciated.

John

Post by John » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:19 am

mihird, I concur with comments already made. In my opinion this is a no-brainer ..... definitely go for your ILR .... even if the intention is that you will stay with your current employer.

It is impossible to know what will happen in the future, with any certainty. Best to keep your options open .... the ability to move to a different job ... if you ever need/want to.
John

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:50 am

mihird wrote:Does anyone know what is the actual benefit of getting an ILR compared to a Tier 2 (company sponsored)
Independence.

kamalin10

Post by kamalin10 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:11 pm

never have to extend :D

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:30 pm

Freedom