ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Re-entering the UK soon after student visa expires

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rex_megan
Newly Registered

Re-entering the UK soon after student visa expires

Post by rex_megan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi,

This might be too early to ask, but I will be graduating in July 2011 and my student visa runs out in September 2011. However, my friend is getting married in Oct 2011, so I really want to be at her wedding! May I know if it's possible for me to leave the UK just before my student visa runs out to take a short trip around Europe and then re-entering the UK as a tourist? (I don't need a visa to visit the UK) Will I be refused to enter the UK since I intend to re-enter the UK just a week or two after my student visa expires???

Please give me some advice!

Thanks a lot!

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Re: Re-entering the UK soon after student visa expires

Post by ElenaW » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Show strong ties to your country and you won't be refused entry.
I tell it like it is.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:23 pm

Although you may not need a tourist visa to enter the UK, why not apply for one anyway, to avoid a possible hitch at Immigration.

rex_megan
Newly Registered

Post by rex_megan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:03 pm

so is it better if I can show them that I have a flight ticket going back to my home country after my visit???

what I am actually worried about is, is there a rule saying after your visa has expired, you have to return to your home country before you can visit the UK again?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:28 pm

rex_megan wrote:so is it better if I can show them that I have a flight ticket going back to my home country after my visit???

what I am actually worried about is, is there a rule saying after your visa has expired, you have to return to your home country before you can visit the UK again?
No, there's no such rule.

Any problem would arise if the immigration officer became suspicious that you were seeking to enter the UK again for purposes other than tourism/visiting. Therefore, I'd make sure you can produce evidence of a ticket out of the UK, plus evidence of any ties to your own country (or some other country, for that matter), and you should certainly have details of the wedding and so on to hand.

rex_megan
Newly Registered

Post by rex_megan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:49 am

what does it mean by ''ties to my own country''??? what are the evidence?

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:27 am

rex_megan wrote:what does it mean by ''ties to my own country''??? what are the evidence?

proof of employment, study, family ties, home ownership, etc...
I tell it like it is.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:19 am

See also strong ties.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.