ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

APPLYING BRITISH PASSPORT FOR CHILD BORN IN INDIA

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vinod_g
Newly Registered

APPLYING BRITISH PASSPORT FOR CHILD BORN IN INDIA

Post by vinod_g » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:19 pm

Dear All,

I have my british passport( HSMP judicial review) and my wife is still on ILR. We are expecting a baby and wish to deliver our baby in India.

My query is:

Will our child get British passport in India?

Thanks in advance.

John

Post by John » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:26 pm

vinod_g, it sounds like you are British because of Naturalisation, and if that is the case you are British otherwise than by descent. That being the case your children born after your Naturalisation will be British from the moment of birth, wherever in the world they are born. Accordingly it will just be a question of applying for a British passport for your child, and outside the UK the application would be made at the nearest British Mission.

However do note that if your child is born outside the UK then they will be British by descent. This means that whilst they will be British and perfectly entitled to live in the UK, their children (that is your grandchildren) will only be British if born in the UK.

Whereas if your child is born in the UK they will be British otherwise than by descent, and thus their children will be British wherever born.
Last edited by John on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

vinod_g
Newly Registered

Post by vinod_g » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:18 pm

Dear John,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Very helpfull.

Kind regards,
Vinod

jishar81
Newly Registered

Post by jishar81 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:39 pm

How was your application? is it a long procedure, did you need the British consulate birth certificate? please tell me what docs you submitted.