ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Interview dress code

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nks

Interview dress code

Post by nks » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:45 am

Hi,

I remember few discussions about this here on the forum but often as offshoot of other topics. I got my first F2F interview on this monday and wondering if being in proper business dress (read as 'suit') is important to get those initial few points. I would not ask this if it was an interview for Business Analyst but its a Software Developer/Support role in a blue chip software MNC. I am still in my home country mindset where perhaps the interviewer will laugh to see me coming in suit for such a role but its better to ask while in Rome that how Romans look :)

Thanks,
nks

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Re: Interview dress code

Post by aspirant99 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:25 pm

nks wrote:Hi,

I remember few discussions about this here on the forum but often as offshoot of other topics. I got my first F2F interview on this monday and wondering if being in proper business dress (read as 'suit') is important to get those initial few points. I would not ask this if it was an interview for Business Analyst but its a Software Developer/Support role in a blue chip software MNC. I am still in my home country mindset where perhaps the interviewer will laugh to see me coming in suit for such a role but its better to ask while in Rome that how Romans look :)

Thanks,
nks
Business suit is not mandatory as a dress code for interviews, however if it is an experienced level role then going in a business suit will not hurt at all. And as you say that it is a tier-1 organisation then a business suit is always a safe and good option. However smart casuals/formal wear like nice fitted trouser, nice crisp shirt would do as well....Just look sharp!!

wearing a suit will not make you feel out of place in an interview at all and dont worry the interviewer won't laugh!!..good luck!!

kenfrapin

Re: Interview dress code

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:36 pm

nks wrote:I would not ask this if it was an interview for Business Analyst but its a Software Developer/Support role in a blue chip software MNC.
Very well thought of question really. As aspirant advised, looking smart and tidy is more than enough for an interview. Further, as the role you are interviewing is NOT a senior nor management one, you do not need to wear a business suit or even a jacket - just a dark trouser with a light clear formal shirt will suffice.
Of course, if you want to, you can always wear a jacket. You do not want to (and ideally avoid) be completely formal - which means dont wear a formal suit with tie - that is out of place for this specific opening.

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:57 am

I don't think one can go wrong with a formal suit - ever.

desperado1306
India

Post by desperado1306 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:49 am

I support Wunder's thought. I have been at a fairly senior level in my organisation which is the business side of an Investment bank. I take interviews wherein candidates are freshers as well as experienced. All I do care about is that the guy has enough knowledge and the right aptitude for the role, but the presentation carries some weight too.

Suppose, there is another guy, equally knowledgable, smart and experienced as you,coming in for this role. The other guy is properly dressed, tidy, in complete formals with a suit and a tie even, what impression would it leave on me when I first see two of you.

Of course, I would assume that the other guy is more serious (completely my opinion but thats what was inculcated in my college days at IIT). Your attire makes the first impression and it doesn't end there, it lasts till the time a hiring decision is made. And I would definitely expect this from a guy who is not a fresher.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:06 am

Wunder and Desperado are right and I wont argue because my advice was purely from an IT Services view in the Telecoms and Media world and I cannot vouch for any other area of work unfortunately.

For IT Telecoms, I too have interviewed a lot of people - Developers, SDs, BAs and PAs - for perm and contracting positions for my firm over the last few years and honestly, again, in this domain only I add, dress code made no difference as long as they were dressed smartly and fit the role. I nor did many others in our panels across client bases have an impression that the guy in the suit was slightly more serious that the guy just in formals - what was important to us was to hire a smart individual who presented ideas well and was articulate in his decision making - irrespective of how well dressed he was :-)

Of course, I am talking only of Solution Designers and Developers and not Business Analysts and Ops Managers - My post is specific to the OP's query only.

But I state again - I have no right to say this is the general feel outside of the IT Telecoms and Media world for a person interview for a Support or Developer Role.

KP

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:13 am

desperado1306 wrote: Of course, I would assume that the other guy is more serious (completely my opinion but thats what was inculcated in my college days at IIT).
Desperado - this is what the OP is asking advice on here. IIT is in India not in the UK so its really not a fair comment to make or a fair base to compare against. Not sure recruiters who are truly British will have such a thought :-)

Just as another pointer - I recently interviewed for senior positions with 2 top tier consulting companies - both operating in the EU and head quartered in the UK - and their clear dress code for the final rounds were business casuals which means plain formals is more than enough, but can add a tie with a V sweater or throw on a jacket without a tie - which clearly means 'plz dont overdress in complete formals' - but again, these are IT based roles so not sure of FS and Banking world

Cheers
KP

desperado1306
India

Post by desperado1306 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:57 am

I agree Kenfrapin but why to take a chance by not wearing a suit unless you don't have one.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:04 am

desperado1306 wrote:I agree Kenfrapin but why to take a chance by not wearing a suit unless you don't have one.
Yup, I cannot argue with that at all. As a personal opinion based on recruiting for my company and also interviewing a lot - wear the coat as a jacket and hence make sure you are dressed in Business Casuals rather than dressed up like you are going for a Black Tie Event :-)

The issue of wearing complete formals - suit with matching trousers and tie is you take a higher chance than just wearing a jacket. Trust me, just wearing a suit to a place where they live and breathe in suits can be risky - there are a million articles in the internet about formal dressing for work, pitfalls of overdressing for interviews etc. I have gone through a lot of these articles and hence if you want to wear a jacket then be safe and go in Business Casuals for the interview.

Cheers
KP