ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

business trip to Canada for British citizen

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

andreachen

business trip to Canada for British citizen

Post by andreachen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:16 am

I was wondering if anyone knew whether a British citizen, working for the London branch of a company in the middle east, can go on a business trip to Canada, and work for the same company but at one of their customer's premises please. What are the visa requirements, and how long would they would be allowed to stay please.

I'm sorry if I should have been able to find this information somewhere but I've been googling for a while and have not found out anything definite.

Many thanks!

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Re: business trip to Canada for British citizen

Post by raymasa2 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:42 am

andreachen wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew whether a British citizen, working for the London branch of a company in the middle east, can go on a business trip to Canada, and work for the same company but at one of their customer's premises please. What are the visa requirements, and how long would they would be allowed to stay please.

I'm sorry if I should have been able to find this information somewhere but I've been googling for a while and have not found out anything definite.

Many thanks!
Depends on what you mean by a "business trip" and "work at customer's premises". If this is for couple of days, you probably wont need a visa. If this is a longer term work assignment, you are entering Canadian labour market and may need a visa.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply ... p#business

Ray

andreachen

Post by andreachen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:23 am

Sorry for not being clearer. This would ideally be for 6 months, and it would be someone employed by the British branch of the middle east company travelling to an existing customer to help them set up their system. The customer would pay the middle east company for this service.

Maybe it's more of a work permit that's required, even though the person would not be employed by the Canadian company? I think I'll search for work permit, I hadn't really thought of that before.

Thanks!

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:54 pm

andreachen wrote:Sorry for not being clearer. This would ideally be for 6 months, and it would be someone employed by the British branch of the middle east company travelling to an existing customer to help them set up their system. The customer would pay the middle east company for this service.

Maybe it's more of a work permit that's required, even though the person would not be employed by the Canadian company? I think I'll search for work permit, I hadn't really thought of that before.

Thanks!
Yes, its always a good idea to give as much information as possible, so you can get a better answer.

Work permit may not work for you. To get a work permit, you need to be hired by a Canadian company. Canadian companies cannot hire non-Canadians (citizens or permanent residences) without authorisation from the Canadian government. To get authorisation, the company would need to show that there are no Canadians who can do the job, by advertising the job for certain number of days (and meeting other criteria).

Having said that, you may still be able to go on a Business Visa to fulfil a contract.

General Criteria for Business Visitor visa:

• There must be no intent to enter the Canadian labour market, that is, no gainful employment in Canada.

• The activity of the foreign worker must be international in scope, that is, there is the presumption of an underlying cross-border commercial activity, e.g. after sales service;

• There is the presumption of a foreign employer:
o The primary source of the worker’s remuneration remains outside Canada
o The principal place of the worker’s employer is located outside Canada
o The accrual of profits of the worker’s employer is located outside Canada.

There is more information on this in Section 5 (page 21) of the following document:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/ ... 01-eng.pdf

I suggest you contact the Canadian High Commission in London:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/un ... index.aspx

Ray

andreachen

Post by andreachen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks Ray, it sounds like a business visa should be ok since all the points you gave match the situation. :)

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:34 pm

andreachen wrote:Thanks Ray, it sounds like a business visa should be ok since all the points you gave match the situation. :)
It may sound like that. However, six months is a long time and the business visa may not be the right one. Does it really takes six months to do after sales service (from immigration prespective), or is this an implementation project. As I dont know what you do, let me use an example, lets say this is an implementation of SAP or Oracle systems. By you going over, you are competing in the Canadian job market where there are already qualified Canadians who can implement SAP or Oracle. So why you need to be there? Again, from an immigration prespective.

I highly recommend that you check with the Canada High Commission before making any plans.

Ray

andreachen

Post by andreachen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:29 pm

It is similar to your example and is for implementing a system, I don't think that they can easily find Canadians for this job though as it's not a known system like SAP or Oracle. :)

I guess it's not as straightforward as I had thought, so I'll take your advice of enquiring at the High Commission first.

Thanks for you help!

Thomasthomas
Newly Registered

Post by Thomasthomas » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Along with provincial governments, Fort Mcmurray extended a huge carrot -- the ability to apply for citizenship and stay for good.

giuseppenero

Post by giuseppenero » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:49 am

Your best route is to have your company lobby the canadian embassy on your behalf first to test the waters. A company would make more of an impression than an individual.