ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How much information should I put in a cover letter?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

alejandrouk

How much information should I put in a cover letter?

Post by alejandrouk » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:41 pm

Hi, I would like to know from your experience how much or how little should the cover letter contain.

I have a rather long and complex immigration history for the past 9 years, and I am stopped by the boarder officers every time that I come back in the UK as they say I have a red flag (back in 2003 I was refused entrance due to overstaying a student visa for three months but that was already explained when I applied and receive the following student visa in 2004). However now I am applying for the EEA4 which only focus on the last 5 years of my immigration history.

Should I mention in the cover letter all the details for the past 5 years only or for all the last 9 years?

[/b]

Mary1

Post by Mary1 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi alejandrouk

When applying for your EEA4 you will only need to include 5 years worth of continued residency to qualify. The issue about your red flag will not be resolved by this new application. It is from past reading on this forum where I know you can get this resolved. Please do a search on being stopped by ECO and see how others have resolved this problem.
Should I mention in the cover letter all the details for the past 5 years only or for all the last 9 years?
This is not a requirement for EEA4 applications, specific documentation is required. Unless your application lacks information the bia need to process your PR no letter is needed.

M

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:08 pm

I agree about the letter. Not required. Just fill in the form as asked for and that's it. An overstay (and even just for 3 months) can't be held against you.

alejandrouk

Post by alejandrouk » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Thank you for your replies.

I had already explained this overstaying issue at the Consulate back in 2004 when I applied for a new student visa, which was granted and ever since I have had no problem renewing my visas. The only problem is that I keep being stopped and interview about this every time that I come back to the UK and after the interview they always tell me that they will make sure that they will remove this red flag from my file, but they never do.

But for the purpose intended I will then not explain this on my cover letter. However....

On my passport there is only my EEA FP for six months, I didn't apply for RC using EEA2, and my only relevant stamps for that period are my student visas that are in my old passport.

Shouldn't I demonstrate and explain my legal stay in the UK for the past 5 years.

I understand that after being living together with my partner for at least 2 years as an unmarried partner I am covered by the EU law but before those two years are completed I needed to have been here legally under a different category. (In my case student)

And the only way to prove this is to send my old passport also and a cover letter explaining this situation, right? Or should I worry not about all this?