ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

NiceCareing

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Post by NiceCareing » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:12 pm

Migration Advisory Committee Advised Govt that

"Werecommended that the PSWR (post study work route) be retained and its leave entitlement of two years be maintained"

But, also they mentioned that

"If the route is maintained, in the context of the Government’s objective to reduce net migration, there may well be a case for:
shortening the duration of stay allowed under this route; restricting it to master’s degree graduates only; restricting it to those institutions and courses which can be shown to generate the greatest future economic
returns for their students; or some combination of the above"

Those institutions may be ( In my View) mean "only Highly trusted sponsors Licence institutions" which most of the Universities are...

See what Govt respond to that...Comments Welcome!

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:29 pm

so wht abut the people arldy doing their studies from different colleges and if its reduce to 1 yr..thn wuld it be applied to evry one or new students only...

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:57 pm

luckylondon wrote:so wht abut the people arldy doing their studies from different colleges and if its reduce to 1 yr..thn wuld it be applied to evry one or new students only...
Yes i recently got admission in HND, and looking forward to finish it and go for PSW. can they change the rules in the middle of game, so unfair. :shock:
N/A

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:24 am

Yes, they can change the rules.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

NiceCareing

PSW route Consultations

Post by NiceCareing » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:01 pm

Home Secretary clearly signaled that she will start doing consultation for the closer of Post Study Visa Route....

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:28 am

But wht abut if someone is in middle of there studies and waitng for degree to finished and can apply for PSW....Will it be applied to all student ...or new comers from outside..

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:51 am

luckylondon wrote:But wht abut if someone is in middle of there studies and waitng for degree to finished and can apply for PSW....Will it be applied to all student ...or new comers from outside..
It can be. Whether it will be or not, who knows?
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

t0mal
Newly Registered

Post by t0mal » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:48 pm

luckylondon wrote:But wht abut if someone is in middle of there studies and waitng for degree to finished and can apply for PSW....Will it be applied to all student ...or new comers from outside..
Wondering the same thing as well. Hope UKBA clarifies things soon.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:09 pm

well, all students hoping to apply for psw, once they have graduated, must fulfil the requirements of applcation, currently enforced on the day, they submit their application.

There is no descrimination between in-county student or prospective student as they both are given visa under the same visa category(Tier 4). if limit exist between transfer of visas from tier 4 to PSW then its same for all new/current/prospective student IMHO

t0mal
Newly Registered

Post by t0mal » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:33 pm

arsenal49 wrote:well, all students hoping to apply for psw, once they have graduated, must fulfil the requirements of applcation, currently enforced on the day, they submit their application.

There is no descrimination between in-county student or prospective student as they both are given visa under the same visa category(Tier 4). if limit exist between transfer of visas from tier 4 to PSW then its same for all new/current/prospective student IMHO

At the moment I think switching from Tier4 to PSW in-country and out of country are completely different. Out of country is subject to cap whereas in-country is not. Please correct me if I am wrong.

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:20 pm

Well PSW..is a kind of wrk permit..who so evr complete degree frm uk will get it....so its a kind of getting in-country only and if they really want to stop then they culd fr evry one....But my question is ...students who alrdy paid tht much fees and waitng fr their studies to fnsh ...why wuld they suffer ?? Bcz when we came to ths cuntry it was rule tht aftr fnshing Degree ..we will get 2 yrs wrk permit .....and now if they really want to change ths rule, thy culd but why not to new commers...so tht they culd have some choice either to come or not ...evn luk fr cuntry wch gives thm bettr future.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:36 am

u r right luckylondon.
They can close PSW but only for new students otherwise I see them losing face in the court.

camille
Newly Registered

Post by camille » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:57 am

Is this visa definitely going to be abolished?
I'm graduating in July next year and was hoping to apply. :(

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:28 am

tall_funky wrote:u r right luckylondon.
They can close PSW but only for new students otherwise I see them losing face in the court.
I don't agree that they can only change it for new students, sorry. The PSW isn't part of a student visa.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:29 am

camille wrote:Is this visa definitely going to be abolished?
No, it's not definite at all. there's going to be a consultation about PSW.

camille
Newly Registered

Post by camille » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:07 am

avjones wrote:
No, it's not definite at all. there's going to be a consultation about PSW.
But I read online on several websites that the visa is most likely going to be abolished, as that is what the Government wants.
I need to know because I am currently applying for jobs, and for most of them I will need this visa, as most firms don't offer sponsorship. If the visa is going to be abolished, then I suppose there would be no point in applying.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:38 pm

avjones wrote:
tall_funky wrote:u r right luckylondon.
I don't agree that they can only change it for new students, sorry. The PSW isn't part of a student visa.
Ok i agree PSW is not part of a student visa.
However, promise of 2 years PSW was almost made by everyone(universities/colleges/UKBA) while recruiting students. If they (universities/colleges/UKBA) go back on their promise, I only see them losing in court.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:44 pm

I hope you are safe.
no one knows how and when UKBA will be closing PSW.
They will be starting the consultation soon and i request everyone to participate in it.

Cheers!

camille
Newly Registered

Post by camille » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:09 pm

tall_funky wrote:
I hope you are safe.
They will be starting the consultation soon and i request everyone to participate in it.

Cheers!
Any idea when the final decision will be made?

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:03 pm

yes ths rght....while bringing foreign students they advertise almost evry whr..tht studnet can apply for PSW aftr fnshing their course....if thy want to close thn, thy can but to new ones ...but not to us as we arldy are near to finsh line...cant we all get togthr and take thm to court

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:51 pm

camille wrote:
tall_funky wrote:
I hope you are safe.

Cheers!
Any idea when the final decision will be made?
NO Idea.
The longer it takes for them to decide, the better for everyone.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:54 pm

luckylondon wrote:yes ths rght....while bringing foreign students they advertise almost evry whr..tht studnet can apply for PSW aftr fnshing their course....if thy want to close thn, thy can but to new ones ...but not to us as we arldy are near to finsh line...cant we all get togthr and take thm to court
Yes, we can. However, i don't think it will come to that.
Keep your ears and eyes open and Do take part in the consultation.
Also, we can ask our family and friends to take part.

gws14l
Newly Registered

Post by gws14l » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:35 pm

Yeahh...I agree that it is not fair if the current students also get the impact of the changes.

They should apply it to the new comers. When I attended an education fair in my country which involved the UK universities, they told us that after graduated, students can apply for a work under tier 1 PSW visa.

So I think it will be fair if they apply the new regulations to the students that want to start studying here next year. So the universities can start advertising this new regulations to the new students.

Hopefully, they will make a fair decision. I'm looking forward for what kind of decision they will make.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:37 pm

gws14l wrote:Yeahh...I agree that it is not fair if the current students also get the impact of the changes.

They should apply it to the new comers. When I attended an education fair in my country which involved the UK universities, they told us that after graduated, students can apply for a work under tier 1 PSW visa.

So I think it will be fair if they apply the new regulations to the students that want to start studying here next year. So the universities can start advertising this new regulations to the new students.

Hopefully, they will make a fair decision. I'm looking forward for what kind of decision they will make.
Yes gws14, u r right.
If possible, keep all those leaflets/ads and all the communications with univ. confirming the award of PSW, once you finish your course.

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:22 pm

How and where can ve take part in consultation.???