ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Inquire info about being overstaying

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

coolcat810
Newly Registered

Inquire info about being overstaying

Post by coolcat810 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:19 pm

Here's a situation i would like to know.
what happen if a overstayer went and surrender themself?
situation and law problem e.g.

Zebrudaya

Post by Zebrudaya » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:14 pm

Dear coolcat810

Thank you for your enquiry. Many things can happen if an overstayer gave himself/herself up to the authorities. What happens to you depends upon luck to some extent. The overstayer could be given about about a month to leave the UK if he is doing so at his own expense. The effect of such a voluntary move will be that the person is banned from entering the UK for a year. On the other hand, if you surrendered to say the police, you could be spirited to one of the immigration detention centres from where you will be removed to your country.

You should also wait for more experienced people in this forum like the Gurus, moderators, senior members etc to give their opinion.

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Post by HRY2005 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:17 pm

I think you have answered the QUESTION.
Live and let live

coolcat810
Newly Registered

Post by coolcat810 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks. and will the overstayer's belonging (money, gold e.g) be confiscate? Do they have the right?

Another thing i would like to know is; who should the person report to? if there's a employee of that person holding the person's passport and sometime" would not even pay for his salary.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:21 pm

Coolcat your post suggests your 'employer' is holding you against your will..am I right? If so, there are organisations who can help you. Firstly, are you male or female? Which part of the UK do you live?

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:11 am

coolcat810 wrote:Thanks. and will the overstayer's belonging (money, gold e.g) be confiscate? Do they have the right?
No the UKBA don't have any such right, you are entitled to keep your money and any possessions.

If, as Casa suggests, you have suffered some form of exploitation you might be considered a victim of human trafficking. Have a read of this page:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutu ... urn/avrim/
It's quite a lot to read, but basically if you have been exploited, haven't claimed asylum and haven't got a criminal record, you could be assisted to return home.

coolcat810
Newly Registered

Post by coolcat810 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:08 pm

Casa: Its not me. But to 1 of my friend. So what organisation should she seek for help?

By the way; will the person be fine for overstaying?

or is it possible for the person to get a permit to stay? (pr etc.?)

"Appreciate and thanks everyone who answered me"

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:17 pm

The charity Womankind who has recently merged with Women at Risk should be able to help your friend if she is being exploited or mistreated.
Contact details:
Telephone | +44 (0) 20 7549 0360
Fax | +44 (0) 20 7549 0361
Email | info@womankind.org.uk

Any information she gives them will be confidential.
Regarding her overstay..no she won't be fined. Whether she is able to remain in the UK depends on her particular circumstances and requires advice from a legal professional experienced in Immigration law. Hopefully the charity I've mentioned above should be able to guide her and provide support, particularly on the issue of her 'employer' withholding her passport and wages.

coolcat810
Newly Registered

Post by coolcat810 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:54 pm

Casa wrote:The charity Womankind who has recently merged with Women at Risk should be able to help your friend if she is being exploited or mistreated.
Contact details:
Telephone | +44 (0) 20 7549 0360
Fax | +44 (0) 20 7549 0361
Email | info@womankind.org.uk

Any information she gives them will be confidential.
Regarding her overstay..no she won't be fined. Whether she is able to remain in the UK depends on her particular circumstances and requires advice from a legal professional experienced in Immigration law. Hopefully the charity I've mentioned above should be able to guide her and provide support, particularly on the issue of her 'employer' withholding her passport and wages.
thank you :)