ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can I work under 6mth family permit?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ys704
Newly Registered

can I work under 6mth family permit?

Post by ys704 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:13 pm

If i (non EEA) get the 6 months EEA family permit (or 3mths not sure) when I am entering UK at the border, can I work legally here? Thanks.

any links to regulations would be appreciated. many thanks.

charlesnd
Newly Registered

Post by charlesnd » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:54 am

yes u can.

ys704
Newly Registered

Post by ys704 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Sorry, apprently I can't get a 6months family permit at the border. it's the Code 1A stamp in the passport.

can I work under Code 1A?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:16 pm

You can work because you are married to an EEA national. Do you actually deliberately ignore advice?

ys704
Newly Registered

Post by ys704 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:09 pm

sorry 86ti.

I didn't ignore your advice, actually I am very grateful since you are the one who always replies to my questions. I am just very worried and stressed hence maybe not paying attention....

It's just my work visa is going to expire on 20th Dec, and my company wants to extend my work visa becuase for them it's a safe option. but i don't want to do that, because who knows how long it's going to take for the extension and I might not be able to travel to my husband's family for the chritsmas......

so now I am thinking everything that could make me 1) go to Europe and 2) my company hire me legally after 20th.

And the best I can think of is 1) to appeal 2) go to Paris and when coming back, get the code 1a.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:47 am

Maybe you are pushing it a little bit too far because you obviously want to have it all at once?

All your efforts seem to centre around one goal: to satisfy your employer. At least your company appears to be interested in employing you further but they obviously don't want to take any 'risks' for you. A risk that legally doesn't exist. Is this a small or big company?

You can appeal of course but how is this going to convince your employer? You should at least parallel to that apply for a residence card to be on the safe side and get at least a CoA within a reasonable time.

I'm not sure whether you would actually get this code 1a because, I believe, that one is used when the HO hasn't got anything about you yet (there may be experts on the General UK Immigration forum who may be able to give you more details). I would rather expect a different stamp but, again, that may be not convincing enough for your employer.

If it is any help here is what a CoA for an EEA2 application says but I suppose it is the same for EEA4. Your next headache will be that the CoA appears to be limited to a validity of six months...
CoA wrote:Note for employers

Until 28 February 2008, this document may form part of a statutory defence against conviction under section 8 of the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996 for employing an illegal migrant worker. This will only be acceptable when the document is presented in combination with the holder's appropriately documented permanent National Insurance Number, provided that both original documents are presented by the holder to the employer, and that the employer checks, copies, and retains the copy of the documents. To establish the statutory defence, the checks must be completed before employment begins.

From 29 February 2008 this document may form part of a statutory excuse against liability to pay a civil penalty under section 15 of the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006 for employing an illegal migrant worker. This will only be acceptable if presented as evidence of an entitlement to work within six months of the date of the letter and if evidence is provided that you have verified the letter with the UK Border Agency Employer Checking Service (details below). The original document must be presented by the holder. The employer must check, copy, and retain the copy of the document.

Employers and prospective employers should note that applications for a Residence Card or Permanent Residence Card should be resolved within six months from the date of application. Thereafter, the UK Border Agency would expect family members of EEA nationals, who are not themselves EEA nationals and who have applied for a Residence Card or Permanent Residence Card, to be able to present their Residence Card or Permanent Residence Card as evidence that they are entitled to work in the United Kingdom.

The UK Border Agency operates an Employer Checking Service which will enable you to verify the validity of this Certificate of Application. Further information about the service is available through the UK Border Agency website at www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk.

Employers who have general questions and queries about immigration law affecting people's entitlement to work in the United Kingdom can call the UK Border Agency Employers' Helpline on 0300 123 4699.