ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 (General) or Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

indian77
Newly Registered

Tier 1 (General) or Tier 1 (PSW)

Post by indian77 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:12 am

I completed my MBA from UK in July'2010.

Currently I am working in a Management Consultancy company based out of India.

I am planning to apply for a UK visa by the beginning of Jan'11.

There are two options available to me: applying under Tier 1 (Post study) or applying under Tier 1 (General).

I'll be eligible for applying for a Tier 1(General) by Jan'11 taking into consideration the salary that I will have earned during July'10 to Dec'10.

Can anybody help me out, as to what category should I apply under, Post Study or General. I will be applying in January'11 - there is a monthly quota for general applications will it be a risk since the quota will be valid only till March'11?

thelionking
BANNED

Re: Tier 1 (General) or Tier 1 (PSW)

Post by thelionking » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:31 am

indian77 wrote:I completed my MBA from UK in July'2010.

There are two options available to me: applying under Tier 1 (Post study) or applying under Tier 1 (General).

I'll be eligible for applying for a Tier 1(General) by Jan'11 taking into consideration the salary that I will have earned during July'10 to Dec'10.

Can anybody help me out, as to what category should I apply under, Post Study or General. I will be applying in January'11 - there is a monthly quota for general applications will it be a risk since the quota will be valid only till March'11?

Both Tier 1 (General) and Tier 1 (PSW) are being scrapped following the announcement two days ago. T1 (G) now only has about 2400 visas left to be issued at 600 each in next four months, so if you can apply asap to get in this lot. As for the PSW, it wont count towards ILR, but that too is under consideration so who knows what the rules be tomorrow ... I suggest you keep a close eye on developments on UKBA's website and see what's new that is coming in both categories.

nafe12

Post by nafe12 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:26 pm

I would DEFINITELY go the Tier 1 general.

Both Tier 1 (General) and Tier 1 (PSW) are being scrapped
Where did you see that PSW was being scrapped? I thought they were silent on the issue. Maybe I missed something...

If not Tier 1 per se, I'd expect some channel for those who studied in the UK to exploit their skills (cf. train and leave). Might just make it harder (masters minimum or something).[/quote]

thelionking
BANNED

Post by thelionking » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:28 pm

nafe12 wrote:I would DEFINITELY go the Tier 1 general.

Both Tier 1 (General) and Tier 1 (PSW) are being scrapped
Where did you see that PSW was being scrapped? I thought they were silent on the issue. Maybe I missed something...

If not Tier 1 per se, I'd expect some channel for those who studied in the UK to exploit their skills (cf. train and leave). Might just make it harder (masters minimum or something).
[/quote]

in her speech ...

bouqet777

Post by bouqet777 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:58 am

They are not fully abolishing PSW but as per the statement they will restrict it to some specific degrees / courses as was few years back (SEGS sort of visa). Anyway I too will suggest to try to go for Tier 1.

Thanks

aliq09
Member of Standing
Mood:
United States of America

Post by aliq09 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:32 pm

Hi ,

Just to clear one thing!!!!!!!!

If you can earn that much in just 6 months to meet the 100 passing mark level , than why are you coming here mate!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..... just a thought and no hard feelings ......Good luck! and go for TIER1 ( it looks tough now )
Thanks

Ali

mk357
Member of Standing

Post by mk357 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:05 pm

I would also suggest T1G as PSW would not count towards ILR, if that is your ultimate objective.

PSW is not scrapped as T1G but there would be a consultation on that. Please read the detail speech of the Home Secy which is available on the UK BIA website.

Mk

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:56 pm

T1(G) suits you, provided you get before Apr'11.
In worst case you can apply for T1(PSW) before July'11.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:59 pm

thelionking wrote:
Both Tier 1 (General) and Tier 1 (PSW) are being scrapped following the announcement two days ago.
TLK, I would suggest you to read and digest the news carefully.
T1(PSW) is not being closed.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:07 pm

nafe12 wrote: If not Tier 1 per se, I'd expect some channel for those who studied in the UK to exploit their skills (cf. train and leave). Might just make it harder (masters minimum or something).
Nafe, you are right.
They just can't close PSW all of a sudden.
what about a undergrad who has spent 3 years of his life and more than £45K (including fees and living cost) ?? should he not get some UK exp. to build on his CV ??
Where is fairness ??

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:45 am

tall_funky wrote: They just can't close PSW all of a sudden.
what about a undergrad who has spent 3 years of his life and more than £45K (including fees and living cost) ?? should he not get some UK exp. to build on his CV ??
Where is fairness ??
No, they can. Perhaps they should not, but they can.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.