ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstayer with British child and British Partner

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lilly oloya
Newly Registered

Overstayer with British child and British Partner

Post by lilly oloya » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:09 pm

I and my British partner have a baby who has a British passport.
We recently moved in together after the baby.
how do I legalise my stay without going back to my home country?

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:00 pm

You can apply for Discretionary Leave To Remain but this is going to take years to approve and is not a sure thing
If you are looking for a quick way to legalise your stay in the UK, there is none

lilly oloya
Newly Registered

Re: Overstayer with British child and British Partner

Post by lilly oloya » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:38 pm

Thanks for your answer. Where can I get the form for discretionary leave to remain?

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:28 pm

A much quicker and easier way would be to return to your home country, marry your partner and apply for a spouse visa.
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Post by HRY2005 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:32 am

Monifé wrote:A much quicker and easier way would be to return to your home country, marry your partner and apply for a spouse visa.
Take Monife's advice, it's better to marry your partner if you are both up for it, go home and apply spouse visa(if there's no other issue, apart from overstaying). If you decide on DL, you need to seek legal help from an expert/registered immigration solicitor.
Live and let live

lilly oloya
Newly Registered

Post by lilly oloya » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks for your answers, can i and my partner get married in any other european country? As he doesn't want to go to africa.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Only if you have a legal right of entry to the EU.

But if you do marry there - you'll still need to return home to apply for the spouse visa as it must be applied for where you are resident.

M.

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Post by HRY2005 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:21 pm

lilly oloya wrote:Thanks for your answers, can i and my partner get married in any other european country? As he doesn't want to go to africa.
Why not apply for a COA(though is being abolished soon), or get married here in the UK, then decide on what to do after your marriage.
Live and let live

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:22 am

Applying for a Certificate of Approval (COA) to marry here runs the risk of alerting the UKBA to the overstay, which could result in removal before the marriage actually takes place. Marriage won't legalise your stay and he will still need to consider returning to his home country to apply for a spouse visa unless he takes the lengthy route with no guarantee of success. You really need to seek help from an legal professional who has experience with discretionary leave applications.
Why is he so against returning to Africa?

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Post by HRY2005 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:05 pm

Why I suggesed the COA idea was because he mentioned going to Europe to get married. I thought if he marry his partner, they might consider moving elsewhere in the EU for a bit and take advantage of the Surinder Singh judgement.

I agree with Casa about COA being a ''risky adventure'' but its possible as a lot of people that I know including myself actually applied for COA while having no leave to remain and we all got it (through a solicitor) and we all got married in the UK.

Considering the OP's circumstances, he's in a genuine relationship so I will say he's got a chance. Get a good solicitor and go for it, then decide whether to move elsewhere in the EU, go home to apply spouse visa or otherwise. Its your choice really.
Live and let live