ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questioning the latest UK job market

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hsmp_quick
Newly Registered

Questioning the latest UK job market

Post by hsmp_quick » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:01 pm

I am trying to understand the job market in UK before I apply for UK Tier 1 visa. I have 10+ years of high performance computing related product development experience and I work as a software architect in my team.

Given the current environment in UK, I would appreciate if you could help me with inputs like how the demand is like in the job market. Feel free to ask questions, encourage or discourage me.

As a side note, I see a lot of people trying to get into UK and the regulatory environment viewing them as unwanted. It makes me wonder if UK is welcoming foreign workers or not.

NeoZ

Re: Questioning the latest UK job market

Post by NeoZ » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:46 pm

hsmp_quick wrote:I am trying to understand the job market in UK before I apply for UK Tier 1 visa. I have 10+ years of high performance computing related product development experience and I work as a software architect in my team.

Given the current environment in UK, I would appreciate if you could help me with inputs like how the demand is like in the job market. Feel free to ask questions, encourage or discourage me.

As a side note, I see a lot of people trying to get into UK and the regulatory environment viewing them as unwanted. It makes me wonder if UK is welcoming foreign workers or not.

UK Job market is bad and going to get worse in 2011. Anything good may come after 2013, once economy gets better and effects of immigration controls kick in for certain sectors like computing.

and yes, UK is NOT welcoming to foreign workers. Since majority hates the idea of British job to foreign worker, one of election pledges of present government is to stop this flow of workers. This is a popular move which reflects the sentiments of common British man.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:07 pm

Let me try to put it this way so it gives some clarity

With over 10years experience in the market you are either
1. An Outperformer wanting a change or work outside
2. An average performer (like most of us) and wanting to try your luck outside

So then
1. If an out performer then you must definitely get paid well. Given the current jobless Tier 1s sitting in the UK ready to take a job for ANY salary, its very likely you will end up poorer in the UK. If you do have around 3/4 yrs international experience then you could prolly get a decent salary but again, it wont be close to what you get now if you are a good performer

2. If an average performer with no outstanding or credible work then welcome to the common pool of so many people trying to get jobs out here. Average salaries have come down so much that people feel it was better not coming here in the first place

In the end it all boils down to your individual traits and what you are good at. The above was meant to give you an idea of the scenario out here but there are many who overcome it and land a decent job and are happy with their lives

All the best!
KP

freemind76

Post by freemind76 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:46 pm

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Re: Questioning the latest UK job market

Post by aspirant99 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:49 pm

hsmp_quick wrote:I am trying to understand the job market in UK before I apply for UK Tier 1 visa. I have 10+ years of high performance computing related product development experience and I work as a software architect in my team.

Right..its been some time since I have been here in this forum but i will start off with saying a very Happy new year!!. Now to the real thing, your query:

As the other members pointed out that the market might not get better , however as KP suggested you have to understand the following :
1) why do you want to come to the UK?- This question might sound ridiculous as I am sure that you ahve sorted out urself on this one but rethink on the pros and cons for eg: lets take the most popular parameter: Salary in your home country Vs Salary in the UK, Standard of living in your home country vs Standard of life in the UK etc etc. Once you know what you want ,start drilling down for eg: you might want to work out your expenses in the UK as per your lifestyle and then probably you would like to decide upon a ballpark salary and ofcourse the area of work that you expect.This will clear out a lot of cloud in the head and might help in making the decision.

2) How is the job market?--The best i can say is that it is not going to get better soon because of various changes like VAT etc that is definitely going to hit the UK/Europe market. However, as I have always maintained -this does not mean that there are no jobs and one should not try. The ones with the skills and in this market with the right rates can land up with a job but, are the rates/salary enough for you is for you to decide. So just weigh the risks and decide after deciding on how important it is for you to move to the UK.

Summary-This might not be the best time to move to the UK but if one wants it that bad there is no better time than today !!...Best of luck :)

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:55 am

Salary wont be very different...But work culture and respect for individual at work place is a HUGE factor...If you are in IT ,working hours in India are 9 to 8 and still its not enough(Unless you work for top 5 IT cos)...The real adv. with Indian IT cos is COST i.e deliver in short span of time with minimum resources...
In UK,you will really LIVE your life, may be at same/lower salary then India,but when you look back at your life, you wontr regret...In India , i see IT professional working like there is no tomorrow ,they keep jumping jobs and are happy to work 12/13 hours for 2-3 lacs more...

DONT COME TO UK JUST FOR MONEY IF YOU ARE IN IT..

My 2 cents and my opinion...

neosumit

Post by neosumit » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:55 pm

I completely agree with Ashish here.

If money is the founding factor for someone then there are better ways to earn money in a growing economy like India rather than a struggling one in UK.

However the quality of life in general which does include factors like commute between office and home, quality of public services and utilities, quality of education and factors like these which should be given weightage when thinks of getting in the UK in search of a job.

Other factors worth considering are how social a person himself is and how much importance he associates to being with extended family in his own home country.
Thanks,
Sumit.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:00 pm

Just to note
1. Travel between work and office is completely depending on location especially if in London. If based in London with decent salary, you will probably live outside of London and travel 45 to 90mins into work in the train/tube etc. I say this if you want to live in a decent sized house with sensible rents. You will live in a shoe box in London for similar rents

2. Education is not as good as it was before - lot of issues with public schools but even then its better than most Asian places and gives the child a chance to really learn and express themselves.

3. Public services and utilities - becoming a joke these days but still a few years away from becoming a complete mess unless the govt steps in quickly.

All said and done, quality of here in the UK on a decent job is absolutely fab. To sum it up - You can be 50 but still feel like 30 in the UK but across most of Asia, you feel 50 when you are actually 30 :-)

KP

shyamite

Post by shyamite » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:19 pm

It simply depend on luck yaar !
I got 4 job in 2 weeks when I landed and now I am not even getting much calls ...

Its god factor yaar ...baki see DEW's ad.

next step
Newly Registered

Post by next step » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:49 pm

It's not worth it if you're unsure. Trust it. Do not come just on a whim or u will be deeply regret it. Thoroughly weigh the factors as suggested. Good luck mate.

Tweedum
Newly Registered

Post by Tweedum » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:22 pm

I don't know how it works in India but if I were you, I will take a sabatical and review your job options here. Perhaps come and stay here for 2 months and see if you get a job that you will be happy with as well as if your money will buy you the life you wanted.

I think both of this is important. Pressure is everywhere......depends on what you could cope with etc.