ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can anyone help?Thanks!

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

little_amy
Newly Registered

Can anyone help?Thanks!

Post by little_amy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi everyone. I would like to ask a few questions for a friend....

My friend came from Asia with a student visa, stopped studying after a few years and started working in the UK. He does not have any valid visa at the moment. ie he is overstaying. He now wants to marry his girlfriend who is an EU national,she is living and working in the UK. He wonders what they need to do in order to get married legally?

Will my friend be able to get a spouse visa? Will the Home office refuses his case because his overstay? Will he be able to stay in the UK legally after they get married? (They are really worry about this!)

I am sorry if I don't make it clear enough, I really want to help them!
Any information will be appreciated! Thanks! :)

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Post by HRY2005 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:09 pm

Marrying his EU national girlfriend would afford him a Residence Card as a family member of an EEA national for 5 years(EU Directive). Overstay would not be an issue.

Can not get a spouse visa under the immigration rules
Live and let live

little_amy
Newly Registered

Post by little_amy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:26 am

HRY2005 wrote:Marrying his EU national girlfriend would afford him a Residence Card as a family member of an EEA national for 5 years(EU Directive). Overstay would not be an issue.

Can not get a spouse visa under the immigration rules
Thanks for the information.
A few more questions....
Do they need to travel back to their own country to get married? (and who's country?) Or can they simply get married here in a church? and how to applyy for the residence card you mentioned? (what forms to fill in?)

Sorry for asking so much....Thank you very very much!

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:30 am