ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After arrival...!!!

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

milindsm

After arrival...!!!

Post by milindsm » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:37 pm

Hello,

I am here in the UK on tier 1. Came couple of days back and shall be starting the job hunt in new year. Can anyone tell me things "TO DO" till the time I get a job..?? something like applying for NI, enroll myself with NHS etc.

BTW, I have just heard of these (NI, NHS etc.) words and have no idea where to start from. Kindly also let me know if I can apply for all these even without having a job in my hand???

Cheers,

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:37 pm

milindsm

Post by milindsm » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks..!!
I've taken an appointment for NI number.
In case of GP and NHS registration, I had gone to the nearest surgery with my passport and address proof. But they said, they need some proof that I'm going to stay here for a longer time (ideally letter from employer). How can I produce that if I am not working at the moment.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:58 am

milindsm wrote:Thanks..!!
In case of GP and NHS registration, I had gone to the nearest surgery with my passport and address proof. But they said, they need some proof that I'm going to stay here for a longer time (ideally letter from employer). How can I produce that if I am not working at the moment.
Again, its quite surprising GPs are asking question on length of time you plan to stay. Address proof and Photo ID is all that's required to register at a GP. Married women also wont have proof of how long they pan to stay and its very valid and genuine for people who are changing jobs/cities to be out of work but yet want to register at their GP

Another very valid example, as is the case for my friend, is when contracting, you are your own boss and can take long breaks in between. There are guys who work 6 months and then stay at home for 6 months (though this is getting rare now) and for such guys too, they wont have any written proof of how long they plan to stay here

My suggestion is to show your Tier 1 visa and its end date and state you are here long term hunting for a job and then settling down. If they still do not relent, then ask for the GP Manager to discuss your situation. If nothing comes out of this then go to www.nhs.uk and follow the procedure to log a complaint. Make sure you let the GP know that you will be logging a complaint as you dont believe this is fair treatment.

All the best
KP

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:14 am

kenfrapin wrote:
milindsm wrote:Thanks..!!
Again, its quite surprising GPs are asking question on length of time you plan to stay. Address proof and Photo ID is all that's required to register at a GP.
I would think a GP can very well check whether a person wanting to register with them is ordinarily resident as this determines whether the service is for free. If not why would a registration be necessary?

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:30 am

Yes, this should be checked as part of registration though Im not so sure about it. They take a copy of even the visa page to confirm the patient is legally resident here. However, one of the KEY reasons for registration is transfer of existing medical files from your previous GP to current one.

Many GPs also advice they cannot prescribe medication for existing ailments until the files have been moved over just to ensure consistent medical advice is provided throughout. Every person has an NHS Id and can obtain it from their GP if required. I never knew this until we moved for the very first time and realized having this ID is quite useful.

KP

R1zbear
Newly Registered

Post by R1zbear » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:42 am

giuseppenero

Health Care Providers

Post by giuseppenero » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:36 am

If you're interested: As an foreigner looking in, it is a mystery why the State puts the onus on the frontline health-care providers to determine whether a person is entitled to this social benefit. Are they health-care providers or Border Agents? In State administration, the UK is ahead of the curve in many ways, but it seems to be out of bounds on this one.
As examples: In Canada your "intent of residency" or employment status are not of any issue whatsoever. All your documents and proof of residency ( bills, statements, landlord's letter, home ownership papers) are presented to the Health Care Dept., who take a digitized photograph and issues a health card with your picture, which expires every 5 yrs., at which point you return and repeat the whole process. This ensures agaisnt fraud. This card then opens the door to GP's and hospitals--no questions asked.
The process is similar in Italy, except your town council does all the screening and issues you an "identity card" which in turn gets you the health card --no questions ever to answer again.. until it's time to renew your Indentity Card, which in Italy is now valid for 10 yrs.
I'm sure the UK is aware of these other methods, but what is their problem towards them? They are 100% secure and definitely a smoother operation for all the players on the field.
Regards