ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

divorce before Residence Card expired

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

strizh6
Newly Registered

divorce before Residence Card expired

Post by strizh6 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:56 pm

Hello !
Could you please help me to understand what to do next?

My current situation: Me and my husband were married in the UK in May 2006 and we got a Residence Card for me to stay in the UK in October 2006. I am holding a residence card as a family member of EEA national until October 2011.
My family life became quite complicated and we agreed to divorce .

I am thinking to stay in the UK and to get Indefinite Live to Remain after my Residence Card expired.
Would i be able to apply for ILR if we divorce before October 2011? And before May 2011??

What is the way out of this situation - i am completely lost....?
Please advise me on that matter ????

Many thanks in advance...

yusfaith

Re: divorce before Residence Card expired

Post by yusfaith » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:33 pm

strizh6 wrote:Hello !

My current situation: Me and my husband were married in the UK in May 2006 and we got a Residence Card for me to stay in the UK in October 2006. I am holding a residence card as a family member of EEA national until October 2011.

I am thinking to stay in the UK and to get Indefinite Live to Remain after my Residence Card expired.
Would i be able to apply for ILR if we divorce before October 2011? And before May 2011??

If you divorce now,you have qualified already for retain right and since your marriage have lasted for 3 years and you both lived together for atleast a year out of that 3 years. However, you need to prove this that you both have live together and both exercising the treaty right for the period you are married, mostly your eea spouse. so you can apply for your PR when you RC is about to expire.

noble72uk
- thin ice -

Re: divorce before Residence Card expired

Post by noble72uk » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:14 pm

strizh6 wrote:Hello !

Just to let you know to apply for The PR (Permanent residence) is based on 5 continuous years residence with your EEA sponsor under treaty right, that mean if you are still Married and living with your husband until may 2011 you don’t need to wait until October 2011.
You can apply for the PR in may this year by highlighting to the UKBA based on the British marriage certificate that you were here 5 years and of course all the documentations needed for the application.

If divorced before the time of application 1st retain your right and 2nd and apply for the PR by providing your EEA sponsor until time of divorce and then after the divorce your will sponsor your self.

I hope that you fix your relation with your partner if you can save your marriage and have a happy life.