ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I get married in the UK without a fiancee visa?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

CandyG
Newly Registered

Can I get married in the UK without a fiancee visa?

Post by CandyG » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:23 am

Hello there

Im a Canadian citizen thinking about getting married in the UK to a british citizen who is present and settled in the UK.

If I were to marry him do I need to apply for a fiancee visa from Canada, then marry him, leave, then apply for a spouse visa?

Or can I go over to the UK without a fiancee visa, marry him and apply for a spousal visa within the UK?

Or do I go over marry him leave then apply for a spousal visa from Canada?

Also on a spousal visa how much money do they require in the bank to consider me comforatable to support myself without recourse to public funds? and how long is it required to be in my bank account?

Thank you very muc for your assistance :)

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Re: Can I get married in the UK without a fiancee visa?

Post by HRY2005 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:02 am

CandyG wrote:If I were to marry him do I need to apply for a fiancee visa from Canada, then marry him, leave, then apply for a spouse visa?
Yes but you dont need to return to Canada.

To marry him in the UK without a fiancee visa, you'll need to apply for a COA(CoA will be abolished soon but its not been announced).

See
MAA7 Maintenance and accommodation: fiancé(e) / proposed civil partner

MAA8 Maintenance and accommodation: spouse / civil partner / unmarried or same-sex partner
Live and let live

vinny

Re: Can I get married in the UK without a fiancee visa?

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:40 am

CandyG wrote:If I were to marry him do I need to apply for a fiancee visa from Canada, then marry him, leave, then apply for a spouse visa?
After marriage, a Fiancé(e) visa holder may switch to FLR(M).
CandyG wrote:Or can I go over to the UK without a fiancee visa, marry him and apply for a spousal visa within the UK?
No.
CandyG wrote:Or do I go over marry him leave then apply for a spousal visa from Canada?
Possible. However, you may need to apply for a Marriage visitor visa before entering the UK and marrying. Else, you may need to explain why your intentions have changed (41(x)).
CandyG wrote:Also on a spousal visa how much money do they require in the bank to consider me comforatable to support myself without recourse to public funds? and how long is it required to be in my bank account?
See also How much is enough?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

CandyG
Newly Registered

Post by CandyG » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Thank you both very much!
Could either of you point me to the visa fees that will be required? Processubg times would be wonderful as well.

Very helpful, thanks so much really

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:44 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.